This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

7 Year Old - Celiac Symptoms

snklivie

snklivie Rookie

My 7 year old daughter might have celiac disease. We wont find out for sure until the endoscopy. As far as symptoms are concern, she does not pass her bowels right after eating. It usually takes 2 or 3 hours after and it is loose. She will usually go in the morning when she gets up and then again at night before bed.

Are these symptoms for celiac? I was told that when one has celiac, he/she will pass their bowel right after eating non-glutten free food.

Also, we are going on vacation to ocean city maryland. Does anyone know of any restaurants or food stores in that area that sells glutten-free foods?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Esther Sparhawk Contributor
My 7 year old daughter might have celiac disease. We wont find out for sure until the endoscopy. As far as symptoms are concern, she does not pass her bowels right after eating. It usually takes 2 or 3 hours after and it is loose. She will usually go in the morning when she gets up and then again at night before bed.

Are these symptoms for celiac? I was told that when one has celiac, he/she will pass their bowel right after eating non-glutten free food.

Also, we are going on vacation to ocean city maryland. Does anyone know of any restaurants or food stores in that area that sells glutten-free foods?

If you discover that your child is a celiac, I recommend you go out and immediately buy Danna Korn's book, Kids With Celiac Disease. It really helped me a lot. I wish someone had told me about it immediately, but we were several months into our diet before I discovered this fantastic book. It helps you understand the disease, testing, kids' perspectives, and it even gives a suggested list of treats and candies.

I'm not from Maryland, but you'll find most celiacs feel safest at McDonald's. Kids love McD's anyway. Just tell them your child has a "wheat allergy" (even though that's not exactly correct) and cannot have the bun on their hamburger. They'll give you the happy meal toy and charge for the happy meal. Fries are said to have some cross-contamination problems by the official McDonald's press releases, but I believe they just say this to prevent law suits. We've never gotten a reaction at McDonalds, from fries, burgers, the apple juice, or the bag-o-apples. (We don't use the caramel dippy stuff though, but I choose not to for nutritional reasons. I don't know if it's gluten-free or not.)

A lot of celiacs eat at Wendy's too. The baked potato is safe, and they say the fries, burgers (minus the bun of course) and the chili are safe. I don't trust Wendy's as much as McD's, but that could be due to local management.

Good luck to you on this adventure called life! And don't dispair. When you first start the diet, it seems very difficult, but after a while, it gets easier.

Mechelle

p.s. As far as your daughter's symptoms go, there's no way to tell. Every celiac has different symptoms, and some celiacs have no symptoms at all.

celiac mom Newbie

I do live in Maryland and vacationed at Bethany Beach with my celiac son. We do find that most resturants will have burgers and steak that he will eat, but we stay away from french fries as most places don't have dedicated fryers for just the fries. He has eaten at McDonalds and has never reacted to their fries. Wendy's is good for the baked potatoes in lieu of fries. We also ate at Dumser's in O.C. and he got the steak and baked potato and of course the ice cream! No reaction. There is also a gluten free bakery in the Fenwick Island shopping Center right over the Delaware/Maryland Border. It's called To Life and here is the website. Open Original Shared Link Giant does sell some of the tinkyada pasta and if you shop at the Super Giant on route 54 they have a variety of gluten free foods. We just packed some of the bread he liked and safe snacks/popcorn etc. and he did fine. We did go to a few nicer resturants and he did get glutened with some potato dish we thought was okay- live and learn. Good luck and hope the weather is good for you and your family!

Guest nini

even if her endoscope doesn't find anything (yet) that doesn't mean she doesn't have it, Did she have the full Celiac panel of blood work yet? The tests can give you an idea if she does have it, but they can NEVER completely rule it out if negative, (negative just means "not positive") So, after all tests are done, if they aren't conclusive, please try the diet any way to see if her symptoms improve. My daughter's tests were negative, but she still responded miraculously to the diet. And her pediatrician was very supportive in trying the diet and then putting a dx of "gluten intolerance" on her chart although she told me "we know it's Celiac, we just can't prove it right now".

As far as help goes, click on the link in my signature and go to the bottom of the page on my web page, and you can download the "newbie survival kit" this is a great collection of files I which I had when I was first dx'ed. Hope it helps. Feel free to ask me any questions about school and parties and such with the diet as my daughter is six and in first grade and we've been doing this for over 3 years now.

chrissy Collaborator

when you daughter has a bowel movement doesn't sound like it is an issue invloving celiac disease-----i am assuming she is being tested based on something else?

Nic Collaborator
A lot of celiacs eat at Wendy's too. The baked potato is safe, and they say the fries, burgers (minus the bun of course) and the chili are safe. I don't trust Wendy's as much as McD's, but that could be due to local management.

I have called Wendy's nutritional hotline and spoke with them about their fries because they are not listed as a gluten free item on line. They explained that they are gluten free but that you should always check with the individual Wendy's you go to to make sure they are frying the fries separately from the chicken. All of the ones I called (I live in Jersey) cook them separately. My son never had a reaction. Burger King's fries are also gluten free even though they look to me like they are coated with something. We don't go there often.

Nicole

Braunson's-mom Rookie

McDonalds fries are NOT gluten-free. They now put wheat starch in the grease. Don't eat them. The apples and the dip are fine. Good Luck

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nic Collaborator

McDonald's fries are actually questionable. Before the fries get to McDonald's they are pre-cooked in something called pan fry. In the pan fry there are natural ingredients and part of the natural ingredients are wheat and milk. McDonald's web site claims that they completed a RAST test and some other test of the finished fires and that there is milk in it but negative for gluten. Attached to the web site is a statement from the celiac association who, if I understood correctly but may not have so check it yourself and correct me if I'm wrong, confirmed their findings but went on to say that the only way a Celiac is really safe is to avoid anything questionable. Please don't go on my say so, look it up and see if you interpret it the same way.

Nicole

snklivie Rookie
I do live in Maryland and vacationed at Bethany Beach with my celiac son. We do find that most resturants will have burgers and steak that he will eat, but we stay away from french fries as most places don't have dedicated fryers for just the fries. He has eaten at McDonalds and has never reacted to their fries. Wendy's is good for the baked potatoes in lieu of fries. We also ate at Dumser's in O.C. and he got the steak and baked potato and of course the ice cream! No reaction. There is also a gluten free bakery in the Fenwick Island shopping Center right over the Delaware/Maryland Border. It's called To Life and here is the website. Open Original Shared Link Giant does sell some of the tinkyada pasta and if you shop at the Super Giant on route 54 they have a variety of gluten free foods. We just packed some of the bread he liked and safe snacks/popcorn etc. and he did fine. We did go to a few nicer resturants and he did get glutened with some potato dish we thought was okay- live and learn. Good luck and hope the weather is good for you and your family!

thank you for all the information. i feel better knowing where to go eat while on vacation. You mentioned Dumser's. Do you know where that's located?

I plan to cook most of the time for dinner and breakfast. But probably will go out once or twice. My menu selection will still be limited, since she is a picky eater. What do you do for bread? what brand do you buy bread?

I bought some glutten free pizza dough, so i'll probably be making pizza for lunch.

But thank you very much for all the information. I really appreciate it.

Nic Collaborator
thank you for all the information. i feel better knowing where to go eat while on vacation. You mentioned Dumser's. Do you know where that's located?

I plan to cook most of the time for dinner and breakfast. But probably will go out once or twice. My menu selection will still be limited, since she is a picky eater. What do you do for bread? what brand do you buy bread?

I bought some glutten free pizza dough, so i'll probably be making pizza for lunch.

We use Ener G Food's Tapioca bread but I do know that the Gluten Free Pantry makes a good sandwich bread mix. Gluten Free Naturals (you can find them online) makes a very good pizza crust mix as well. Very easy to, just mix it with oil, egg, and mild (unless she is casein free too, I don't remember). Start searching on line. You can buy almost everything online and you end up saving some money buying in bulk not to mention saving time.

Nicole

celiac mom Newbie

I am sure you already went to the beach, sorry for not getting back to you. Dumser's in on or around 45th street, Bay side. I usually buy the gluten free bread at Whole foods. It's their brand. I assume you live in or near Maryland and we have Whole foods (Montgomery County). They usually keep it in the freezer, so you may have to ask for it at the bakery. There are other kinds of bread that we have tried, but my son seems to like the bread at whole foods. Frankly, none of them are great, but in a pinch, it makes an okay sandwich, but works great for french toast. If it weren't so expensive, we all would eat it for french toast! Again, sorry for the late post. If you live in Montgomery County, I also have a few more stores I shop at for food. Let me know, I am glad to help.

Archived