This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Australians And New Zealanders Hellooooooo :)

Aussie Peg

MissWingBat Newbie

Kassandra,

Everyone has been spot on - but also, just remember, anything that is in 'bold' is an allergen -either nuts, wheat etc... It's a good reminder if you get 'spaced out' after reading soooo many labels.

Just wondering, has anyone come across ingredients not labelled properly? I was shopping today and came across several items not labelled properly (mainly in the asian section, not being racist, just some of the products had bad labelling - i love asian etc food...)

I shouldn't have said that, but after reading so many threads, its scary the amount of ppl that get 'abused' online because of a flippant comment. I'm hoping that cuz we are Aussie's that we all know how to have a laugh and not take things so seriously!

I just wanted to say that it has been wonderful to have 'local' (haha) people to share comments with, and ask the really the stupid questions (sorry Joss!) because sometimes its hard getting support at home... Long story there, has anyone else had 'issues' (minor or major) with their support circle - mainly partners - reactions, sympathy, understanding, tolerance? Thanks in advance!!

Miss Wing Bat!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wombat Newbie

I went to the Celiac Clinic at the Royal Melbourne Hospital last week for a check-up, and told the Doc that Im going to the USA for Christmas. The Doc said to me be very careful with what I eat, as Iabel laws with food are not as strict as what they are here in Australia. I think I'll be ok, as I have already looked up what there is available whats foods there is in the USA.

Cheers

:D

Kaycee Collaborator

Miss Wing Bat

The thing that gets me with labelling is when they just put flavour, or nautral flavour on them, without numbers or reference to where it is evolved from etc. I'm a numbers fanatic as some numbers like 150c I wouldn't touch with a ten foot barge poll, well I try to avoid most numbers, but that is my personal choice and has nothing to do with gluten.

As for support. I have gotten abused at times on support groups, I am not sure whether it is my doing, but I feel we all should be able to say what we think, even if nobody else agrees. We are all different and should be respected for that. Usually most of the times it is pretty good. My main arguments come from people who swear blue black and blind that what I am promoting as in a gluten free food, isn't, I have people jumping on me and saying, oh no, that has gluten in it. But as far as the labelling goes, I can't see it anywhere and my stomach doesn't think it had gluten in, as it does tend to let me know when I have eaten the minutest gluten. I think some people with tiny minds, are very suspect of the food industry, one in particular would ring up a company and I think she scares the recipient on the other end to admit that they cannot guarantee there is no gluten in their product. It sounds like she hounds them until she gets that answer, which is the answer I would give if I am being pushed, whether the product has gluten or not. But she goes away happy, then lets everyone else on the local forum know that there is no guarantee for that product!

In my personal life all has been fine. I can feel people thinking oh you're being too precious not eating or drinking that. But they let me do my own thing. Then you get it the other way, oh you can eat cheese? There is quite a bit of ignorance out there, but that is fine, I'm only thankful that a lot of people do know about gluten free and in the main they have been very supportive and will go out of their way to help. Even when there is a morning tea shout at work, most would go out of their way to cater to me, and put out the obligatory rice crackers and cheese! How I hate rice crackers. But at least I can eat. I have now got to the point that when there is morning tea being put on, I go in expecting nothing, and I am never dissappointed. I feel a bit strange when they go out of their way for me, and feel even worse when it is only crackers and cheese, I then feel obligated to eat them! At least I am the one who goes away not feeling stuffed like a pig!

My pet hate would be the butcher who labels his sausages glutton and preservative free, and the waitress who referrred to gluten free as glu-ton. I know I am a little overweight, but it sounds so gross, makes me wonder if those people think it is our greed that has caused us to be like this.

Anyways, got to go. Shopping calls.

Cathy

confusedks Enthusiast

Wombat,

I just wanted to jump in and say...it is a big PITA here in the US as far as labeling laws go. They only list wheat, NOT gluten...so if something is wheat free...don't eat. It is probably gluten free. If you need any names of stores, etc. or if you want to tell me where you are going, let me know. I would be more than happy to help. Also, do you have the list of hidden names of gluten? It is on the home page of this site...all the way at the bottom on the left side. Hope this helps!

Kassandra

Wombat Newbie
Wombat,

I just wanted to jump in and say...it is a big PITA here in the US as far as labeling laws go. They only list wheat, NOT gluten...so if something is wheat free...don't eat. It is probably gluten free. If you need any names of stores, etc. or if you want to tell me where you are going, let me know. I would be more than happy to help. Also, do you have the list of hidden names of gluten? It is on the home page of this site...all the way at the bottom on the left side. Hope this helps!

Kassandra

Hi Kassandra,

Thanks so much for your tips, I am sure they will help.

The last time I was in the USA (in 2004) I was not diagnosed with Coeliac Disease, which I suppose was great, and could eat anything. I really did love the burgers from Fat Burger! hehehehe :D

With the looking around on the net I have found that Lassens Foods and Trader Joes seem to have a good selection of gluten-free foods, but do your major supermarkets (e.g. Vons, Safeway, Ralphs) have a section for health/gluten-free foods?

Looks like I'll be spending most of my time in Cali (I have 2 cousins who live in SF, and a good friend who lives in Bakersfield) , and maybe go up to Seattle for a week.

Cheers

Wombat (my real name is Ty)

:D

nutralady2001 Newbie

OK peeps I might be seriously behind the 8-ball here and you all know about this but for those who don't, Orgran's put out a FREE quarterly magazine called "Everyday Health" I came across it at my Weight Watcher's Club office ( and promptly photocopied half of it lol)

I am guessing health food shops would have it but you can also subscribe (at no charge for postage even by the looks of it)

So send your name/address/postcode(they also have space for telephone number/ email address but wouldn't put that in if uncomfortable about sharing that info)

If you live in Australia send to

Everyday Health Magazine

47-53 Aster Avenue

Carrum Downs

Vic 3201

If you live in NZ

Orgran New Zealand

PO Box 121

Oamaru

NZ

Of course there is lots of advertising of Orgran's products but also fantastic recipes ( I photocopied 13 pages) as well as general health hint pages

HTH

georgie Enthusiast
OK peeps I might be seriously behind the 8-ball here and you all know about this but for those who don't, Orgran's put out a FREE quarterly magazine called "Everyday Health" I came across it at my Weight Watcher's Club office ( and promptly photocopied half of it lol)

I am guessing health food shops would have it but you can also subscribe (at no charge for postage even by the looks of it)

So send your name/address/postcode(they also have space for telephone number/ email address but wouldn't put that in if uncomfortable about sharing that info)

Also a web address Open Original Shared Link

I had a Choc Cherry Bar of theirs last week and it was yummo :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nutralady2001 Newbie
Also a web address Open Original Shared Link

I had a Choc Cherry Bar of theirs last week and it was yummo :)

Thanks Georgie there was probably the website in the magazine itself :lol: I was too busy photocopying recipes for chocolate cake :lol:B):ph34r:

georgie Enthusiast

I have the BEST chocolate cake recipe if you want it. Its really moist and tastes even better than normal choc cake ! Its from the Healtheries people. I got it from a packet of their flour but think its on their website as well.

Open Original Shared Link

nutralady2001 Newbie
I have the BEST chocolate cake recipe if you want it. Its really moist and tastes even better than normal choc cake ! Its from the Healtheries people. I got it from a packet of their flour but think its on their website as well.

This one?

nutralady2001 Newbie

Just wondering if it's safe for us to use wheat bags? Mine has a sturdy cover then a removable outer cover (for washing) and I somties wrap it in a hand towel as well when it's fresh out of the microwave

georgie Enthusiast
This one?

No - I think its this one

Its so long since I did it - I have gone foggy! I gained so much weight with the gluten-free diet that I have had to stop looking at all the yummy recipes !

georgie Enthusiast
Just wondering if it's safe for us to use wheat bags? Mine has a sturdy cover then a removable outer cover (for washing) and I somties wrap it in a hand towel as well when it's fresh out of the microwave

I think so ? Does anyone know ?

I am still handling and touching wheat hay for my horses. I should use gloves but don't. I make sure I rinse my hands ASAP and I haven't been Glutened yet.

Kaycee Collaborator

Nutralady, this is the recipe I use from the Healtheries Simple baking mix bag

Moist chocolate cake

1 3/4 cups Simple baking mix

1/4 cup cocoa

1 1/4 cups sugar

1 1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp baking powder

3/4 cup oil

2 eggs

1 cup water

1 1/2 tablespoons vinegar

Preheat oven to 160 C

Mix all wet ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine

Mix all dry ingredients in a second bowl and stir to combine

Combine the wet and dry ingredients and bet for several minutes with an electric beater to give a smooth batter

Pour into prepared cake tin and bake for about 1 1/2 hours or until cooked.

Remove from oven and leave to cool for 10 - 15 minutes before removing.

It is a wonderful cake. My non gluten-free's love it. Also the vinegar makes it softer.

Cathy

georgie Enthusiast

Yes - thats it ! I remember the vinegar now. I did a large cake & small cakes with gluten-free icing and then froze them. I have also found silicon bakeware is best for gluten-free.

nutralady2001 Newbie
Yes - thats it ! I remember the vinegar now. I did a large cake & small cakes with gluten-free icing and then froze them. I have also found silicon bakeware is best for gluten-free.

Thanks!

Is that the bakeware you can scrunch up and stick in a drawer?

I've decided to get rid of my toaster well give it to one of the kids lol, I know I can use toaster bags but I'd like to start out with a nice non-glutened one

I am giving my chopping boards to the kids as well

What about bakeware / cookware/tupperware I already have? It seems so daunting to give away stuff not to mention the cost of replacement . My stuff is all stainless steel Amway saucepan set I've had for over 20 years

nutralady2001 Newbie
Nutralady, this is the recipe I use from the Healtheries Simple baking mix bag

Moist chocolate cake

1 3/4 cups Simple baking mix

1/4 cup cocoa

1 1/4 cups sugar

1 1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp baking powder

3/4 cup oil

2 eggs

1 cup water

1 1/2 tablespoons vinegar

Preheat oven to 160 C

Mix all wet ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine

Mix all dry ingredients in a second bowl and stir to combine

Combine the wet and dry ingredients and bet for several minutes with an electric beater to give a smooth batter

Pour into prepared cake tin and bake for about 1 1/2 hours or until cooked.

Remove from oven and leave to cool for 10 - 15 minutes before removing.

It is a wonderful cake. My non gluten-free's love it. Also the vinegar makes it softer.

Cathy

Thanks Cathy!

georgie Enthusiast
Is that the bakeware you can scrunch up and stick in a drawer?

Yes. The gluten-free cake mixes are less sticky than normal mixes and sometimes the cakes crumble as you turn them out. With soft scrunchy silicon cookware they seem to fall out without a problem.

We threw out chopping boards and wooden spoons but kept the same saucepans, plates etc. What hubbie did do was to throw out al wheat flour from the pantry so that I wouldn't be tempted to bake 'for Mum' as was happening - and get Glutened by the food I was doing for her.

Kaycee Collaborator

Yes the scrunch up (silicone) bakeware is wonderful. I have my own toaster too, but at one stage I had them side by side, mine and theirs, and twice I put my toast in the wrong one, even though one was white and the other black! So I now stick mine away in the cupboard and have to bring it out everytime I need it.

I kept my stainless steel pots, I make sure I have about two of each utensils, so when I'm cooking two separate meals etc, I can use a different stirrer or whatever in each. Just don't forget which one is stirring which. Try different colours. Maybe your gluten free utensils could be all the same colour. I haven't been too fussy with chopping boards, there is not much gluten cut on them, apart from fresh bread the boys love. Always wash your can openers (cat food or dog food contains gluten), or have two. Thinking about it even though I am the only gluten free and their are 4 others (men) in the household who eat gluten, not a lot is cooked that contains gluten, apart from maybe sausages, bacon, pies and pasta (I always cooks their pasta in a big pot that cooks nothing else), all my sauces are thickened with maize cornflour, or even thickened with the simple baking mix, which works a treat, I actually prefer the flour.

Having helpless men in the household who cannot cook helps in knowing what is what. I know I am not doing my sons any favours, but I don't like the idea of them in my kitchen, but I guess I have to get over that. It is not as if they are going to cook a cake now is it?

Cathy.

georgie Enthusiast
all my sauces are thickened with maize cornflour, or even thickened with the simple baking mix, which works a treat, I actually prefer the flour.

Yes I was going to add this! White sauces thickened with maize flour or rice flour are better anyway. So many dishes work out better - don't stick or go lumpy. Its just trial and error to get it all going.

And watch your weight Nutralady ! All those yummy gluten-free cakes are much higher in calories. I gained 10kg by going gluten-free! May also be a sign that the malabsorption is healing too - but either way - be careful!

Love your avatar !!

nutralady2001 Newbie
Yes I was going to add this! White sauces thickened with maize flour or rice flour are better anyway. So many dishes work out better - don't stick or go lumpy. Its just trial and error to get it all going.

And watch your weight Nutralady ! All those yummy gluten-free cakes are much higher in calories. I gained 10kg by going gluten-free! May also be a sign that the malabsorption is healing too - but either way - be careful!

Love your avatar !!

Thanks to everyone for the answers thanks georige for the avatar comment yes have a few Aussie ones just give a yell if you want one

georgie lol about the weight you know I NEVER cook cakes and don't eat them much if out, all of a sudden now I am confirmed celiac via biopsy ( still trying to get my head around that lol) I feel deprived lol

BTW Michels Patisserie does gluten-free cake it comes in individually wrapped and not cheap lol but can vouch for their carrot cake

georgie Enthusiast

Yes please ! Send me an avatar selection !!

:D About the feeling of being deprived and wanting to eat cake. Be warned .... I have just had some Livwell Jam Tarts from the gluten-free shop and they are great! Very sweet but great for indulging. I have tried the carrot cake from Michels - I thought it was great ... Also our small local bakery does gluten-free options now. Not sure about cc issues but I had her carrot cake last week and was fine. So word is getting out !!! She had about 4 choices of biscuits or cakes and a frittata for gluten-free people the day I was there .... Small town - 2000 people so ...YAY.... :P

Jessica's Grandmother Newbie

My Granddaughter 3-year-old Jessica has been diagnosed with Diabetes in June and Celiac 3 weeks ago. I am finding there aren't any recipes for bread for those with diabetes who are celiac. There are plenty of recipes for those who are just Celiac. I have made some bread and although it didn

nutralady2001 Newbie

Jessica's G/M I know some-one who is Celiac and diabetic she isn't on this forum but I'll email her and see what she does, she is in her mid-20's now and has been celiac/ diabetic since she was around 11-12

georgie Enthusiast

Jessica's G/M, I am Celiac and my hubbie is Diabetic but eats the same food as me. He is fine but its my understanding that diabetics have to eat protein with every meal and eat small meals often. He is Type 2 and managing quite well that way , and eating as a Celiac. What else did Jessica eat with the bread to balance it ? Is she eating enough protein?

Archived