• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Guhlia

Gluten Free Beer At Outback!

Rate this topic

I talked to the manager at my Outback Steakhouse tonight and she's going to see about ordering gluten free beer for the menu. I've asked several times before, but this time they brought out the manager that's in charge of ordering. She was very friendly and told me that she would do everything she could to get some gluten free beer in that restaurant. This is a huge deal for us since you can't get gluten free beer anywhere in eastern PA. You have to travel to Maryland or Jersey to get it. Ugh...

So... If you live near Lancaster, PA and you go to the Outback Steakhouse, PLEASE ask for them to stock gluten free beer! I'll let everyone know if they actually start carrying it.

Woo-Hoo!!! Beginning Tuesday my Outback will be adding Bard's Tale Beer to the menu. This is really exciting because as far as I know, Outback will be the only place within two hours of here that has gluten free beer. :D

They didn't get it from anywhere around here. I asked. PA liquor laws are really, really ridiculous. They aren't allowed to carry beer in the grocery store here, and I've checked with every distributor in the phone book in Lancaster county and NONE have it or can get it. Ugh... Luckily Outback will be selling six packs of Bard's Tale now. She said that the distributor they use serves Lancaster County restaurants, not the general public. She was very nice.

as a pennsylvanian who now lives elsewhere, i must say---I don't miss the PA alcohol/liquor system AT ALL!!!!

guhlia---i am happy they will be carrying it for you! how exciting! enjoy a nice cold one ;)

I thought ridiculous liquor laws were contained to the Bible Belt deep South- guess I was wrong! :)

That's exciting news for you and shows what persistence can do.

I talked to the manager at my Outback Steakhouse tonight and she's going to see about ordering gluten free beer for the menu. I've asked several times before, but this time they brought out the manager that's in charge of ordering. She was very friendly and told me that she would do everything she could to get some gluten free beer in that restaurant. This is a huge deal for us since you can't get gluten free beer anywhere in eastern PA. You have to travel to Maryland or Jersey to get it. Ugh...

So... If you live near Lancaster, PA and you go to the Outback Steakhouse, PLEASE ask for them to stock gluten free beer! I'll let everyone know if they actually start carrying it.

Bard's Tale Beer will be available @ The Beer Outlet in Northeast Philadelphia as of tommorrow.......

They didn't get it from anywhere around here. I asked. PA liquor laws are really, really ridiculous. They aren't allowed to carry beer in the grocery store here, and I've checked with every distributor in the phone book in Lancaster county and NONE have it or can get it. Ugh... Luckily Outback will be selling six packs of Bard's Tale now. She said that the distributor they use serves Lancaster County restaurants, not the general public. She was very nice.

Guhia,

If you go to Bardsbeer.com and look for store locator you will find one in Bridgeville PA, I don't know if thats close to you. Its about 10 minutes from Pittsburgh. I live in Ohio and can recently find it 45 minutes away from our house in Zanesville at a store called the Winerack. They also carry New Grist and one other beer that is Gluten free. We live 45 minutes from Washington PA, (I'm not sure how close that is to you) but if it is let us know and we can meet you at Target with Gluten free beer.

Guhia,

If you go to Bardsbeer.com and look for store locator you will find one in Bridgeville PA, I don't know if thats close to you. Its about 10 minutes from Pittsburgh. I live in Ohio and can recently find it 45 minutes away from our house in Zanesville at a store called the Winerack. They also carry New Grist and one other beer that is Gluten free. We live 45 minutes from Washington PA, (I'm not sure how close that is to you) but if it is let us know and we can meet you at Target with Gluten free beer.

Thanks, but Pittsburgh is over 4 hours from where I live. We're in the very South Eastern tip of PA, practically in NJ and DE. Luckily we found a way to get the cases without driving two hours. A friend lives right near a liquor store that carries them.

Guhlia

Where in NJ did you find gluten-free beer? I've checked with two large wine/beer/liquor stores in my area and neither carry it nor want to.

Most supermarkets in NJ do not sell wine/beer. I only know of one and they will be closing their store soon. I vacationed in NC and I like how Food Lion has beer and wine in their store...it's so convenient to pick up a bottle of wine with groceries at same store.

Maybe now all Outbacks will institute this gluten-free beer selection.

Guhia,

Funny, sue...my grandparents used to live in zanesville for many years...i miss going there!!

Guhlia

Where in NJ did you find gluten-free beer? I've checked with two large wine/beer/liquor stores in my area and neither carry it nor want to.

Most supermarkets in NJ do not sell wine/beer. I only know of one and they will be closing their store soon. I vacationed in NC and I like how Food Lion has beer and wine in their store...it's so convenient to pick up a bottle of wine with groceries at same store.

Maybe now all Outbacks will institute this gluten-free beer selection.

It was in Elkton, MD at State Line Liquor.

Go to your local Outback and ask to speak to the manager in charge of ordering. Ask him/her to please begin carrying Bard's Tale (that is apparently the easiest to get) and explain why with their whole gluten free menu and what not. We asked and within a week we were able to go in and sit at a table and drink a nice, cold beer, just like everyone else. :D

Guest ~jules~

I haven't seen any gluten-free beer anywhere around here! Where in the world do you find it? Any oregonians out there who know where to get brew? Congrats on your outback, thats pretty cool. Maybe I'll start pestering the manager at our outback here in salem...he he he..... :P

Guhlia,

As you neighbor over here in Hershey, I agree the laws are more than silly. Would it kill them to lighten a little. It probably about brought the state to it's knees when they decided to open the spirits shops on Sunday. :) I am glad you got your Outback to carry the beer, you are awesome!!!

It was in Elkton, MD at State Line Liquor.

Go to your local Outback and ask to speak to the manager in charge of ordering. Ask him/her to please begin carrying Bard's Tale (that is apparently the easiest to get) and explain why with their whole gluten free menu and what not. We asked and within a week we were able to go in and sit at a table and drink a nice, cold beer, just like everyone else. :D

Guhlia, Outback has a policy of rewarding employees when they get a positive customer letter/email about the employee. Write a letter or send an email to Outback corporate, and let them know how pleased you are with this employee and with having the beer available. It will give the employee a boost, which might make that employee and any others in that restaurant an incentive to be even more celiac friendly, and it will also let corporate know that there is a need for this at all the restaurants. Can't hurt, might help.

Debbie

I haven't seen any gluten-free beer anywhere around here! Where in the world do you find it? Any oregonians out there who know where to get brew? Congrats on your outback, thats pretty cool. Maybe I'll start pestering the manager at our outback here in salem...he he he..... :P

I am a from Washington but I just learned that Widmer Brewery in Portland is brewing a gluten free beer! It is called Widmer Hooligan Pale Ale. As for as I know it is only available at the brewery for now. I am ready for a road trip!

I had some from Widmer, Portland Oregon, that was great and I didn't get sick. If you are in Oregon try New Season's Markets. They have been publishing that they were suppose to getting some gluten-free brew (I think Bard's) in this month.

Guest ~jules~
I am a from Washington but I just learned that Widmer Brewery in Portland is brewing a gluten free beer! It is called Widmer Hooligan Pale Ale. As for as I know it is only available at the brewery for now. I am ready for a road trip!

You know I was wondering about widmere, microbrews are big around here I thought they might make one thats good to know. I have an old friend, who's dance instructor is a brewer at a place here in salem called thompson's, I was going to ask her if they have a gluten free beer their also. Also, my father has a friend who actually makes his own beer...I don't know about that though...lol.....

Guhlia, Outback has a policy of rewarding employees when they get a positive customer letter/email about the employee. Write a letter or send an email to Outback corporate, and let them know how pleased you are with this employee and with having the beer available. It will give the employee a boost, which might make that employee and any others in that restaurant an incentive to be even more celiac friendly, and it will also let corporate know that there is a need for this at all the restaurants. Can't hurt, might help.

Debbie

Debbie, I wrote Outback a letter commending this manager for her efforts. She's such a sweet girl, I hope that they do reward her in some way. She certainly deserves it. Thank you for the tip.