This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac? Wheat Intolerant? Should I Care Which?

glen4cindy

glen4cindy Apprentice

Hello.

I have found this site somewhat by accident.

I have had stomach problems for many years now. It statrted out with heartburn.

I can remember from years and years back (I'm 36 now) having stomach problems. I could eat 1 brownie, and I would have IMMEDIATE heart burn. Well, I went years just putting up with this, until I finally went to to Dr. and he put me on Prilosec for AR.

In the midst of some of this stuff, I had to have my gall bladder removed.

I took prilosec for months and then when it stopped working, he put me on Prevacid, and I could pretty much eat whatever I wanted. After several months, Dr. put me on Precacid 2x per day. Then, I became lactose interolerant. I would use Lactaid, and eat anyway. Sometimes I would do OK and other times, it would not work very well.

After the Precacid stopped working, the Dr. put me on Nexium. By this time, I was still experiencing lactose inntolerance, and random other problems with some foods. This led me to have surgery to correct the Acid Reflux. I was hopeful that this would help me, and prevent some of the problems I was experiencing.

I could never put a handle on it, but, some foods would hurt me, and some foods would not. Sometimes, I could eat a meal, and feel fine, and later eat the SAME meal, and be miserable.

My doctor then suggested that I may have an allgery to wheat. He said it was rare, but, it could be the wheat. I then began to cut out most all bread. (However, I didn't watch eating pasta and battered foods, because they usually didn't bother me.) I have felt much better.

Now I am at the point of trying a completely gluten-free diet. (However, will 1 Krispy Kreme donut hurt me? Only ONCE in a while??) My question is this: My doctor would probably order me any kind of test that I asked him to. I could afford to just have the complete stool test from the lab mentioned here, but, if I can get my insurance Co. to pay for it, I would rather do that than pay for it myself. But, it is really important that I know? It does not seem like it would be unsafe to just go on the gluten-free diet, and if I continue to feel good, just remain on it. My wife and I cannot have any children because she has had a hysterectomy, so the reason to find out for your children does not apply.

I am sorry this post is so long, but, I am very new to this, and I am tired of always being sick after I eat.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

plantime Contributor

The diet itself is a test. It is one that some doctors will not accept, because they do not have any numbers for comparison. However, some doctors, mine included, will accept the diet results. It does not hurt to go completely gluten free. You can get a form from Enterolab to submit to your insurance company. Ask your doctor to write you an order for the Enterolab test, see what he says. If the standard tests cost enough, your percentage to pay just might come to more than the Enterolab tests. Also, with the standard tests, you have to be consuming gluten. If you decide to have your doctor run the standard tests, do not quit gluten. If you go for a few weeks with absolutely no gluten, then start consuming it again for tests, sometimes the symptoms are worse. Also, being gluten free allows healing to start, and could make tests come back negative that would have been positive. If you improve on the diet, and do not feel the need for "proof" or "closure," then the diet would be all you really need. Some people have been through the wringer so bad with it that they need the test results for their own peace of mind. Kind of like being able to say "Look, I told you I was sick! This is my proof!" So whether or not you have the tests done, and which ones you get, is strictly up to you.

Guest jhmom
However, will 1 Krispy Kreme donut hurt me? Only ONCE in a while??

Yes it will hurt you!

celiac3270 Collaborator
Now I am at the point of trying a completely gluten-free diet. (However, will 1 Krispy Kreme donut hurt me? Only ONCE in a while??)

Indeed it would! The tiniest molecule of gluten screws up your intestines so a Krispy Kreme would wreak absolute havoc. That was my first thought when I started :) ....when the doc. said "no wheat" I wondered if it was permittable once a year...like a slice of pizza on my birthday, or something....I researched and quickly learned that it is unacceptable....

One more thing...when you go off gluten for a period of time, your intestines heal. However, once you're gluten-free, any gluten causes more pain and symptoms than it did in the past.....your body is no longer used to it...so a piece of pizza before the gluten-free diet wouldn't cause as severe symptoms as it would having avoided it for awhile.

-celiac3270

glen4cindy Apprentice
Yes it will hurt you!

Yes, of course I know. That statement was just facetious.

It's just that they are so good. Sometimes, I find myself saying, 'I know I will regret eating this but..........'

I know I need to stop that.

And, yes, I have also found that the more I stay gluten-free, the worse things are if I ingest some. My goal in being here is to learn HOW to avoid gluten, and just what kind of foods that contain it.

Thanks for the responses.

glen4cindy Apprentice

Would it be at all possible to use the recipes on this site to bake a homemade

Krispy Kreme doughnut at home?

There are several recipes for flour that would be gluten free. I have been making use of White Rice Flour. Now, I realize that the doughnuts would not be exactly Krispy Kreme, but, it should be possible to make a similar doughnut that tastes good too.

Back several months ago, my MD suggested that I may be wheat intolerant. That is how I found this website. I really thought, in the beginning, that avoiding wheat would not be that difficult. Well, upon finding this site, I am finding that avoiding wheat and gluten is harder that it seems.

To have 1 family member needing a gluten-free diet, it almost makes all members of the family gluten-free. That is, unless someone doesn't mind making separate dishes. For instance, tonight my wife made Tacos. For me, she had to prepare a seperate dish of hamburger meat without Taco Seasoning, I ate Fritos which have only Corn, Salsa, Sour Cream, and Cheese. I actually found the gluten-free taco seasoning, but, not in time to make some for tonight.

Thanks again.

plantime Contributor

Tacos with no seasoning?!? Perish the thought! I use McCormicks Mild Taco Seasoning: onion, potato starch, whey solids, salt, spices (including chili pepper, oregano, and cumin), paprika, sugar, garlic, and citric acid. I also use Best Choice Taco Shells: ground corn treated with lime, water, and partially hydrogenated vegetable oils. I am the only one in my house that is celiac, so eating mexican means they get flour tortillas, and I get corn ones. It means they eat regular pasta, and I eat quinoa. It means I have my desserts, and they have theirs. No one gets anything off of my shelf, or out of my canisters, and I don't eat their stuff. I do miss the donuts, though. I will just have to live without them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived