Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RunnerNYC

I'm Gluten-free, But I'm So Glad I Don't Have To Give Up....

I'm gluten and dairy free, but I'm glad I didn't have to give up SMOKING... a bad habit, but I gave up everything else.

Yeah I took up smoking again after diagnosis. I felt I needed something. Its terrible, but what are ya gonna do?

It also really makes me feel better during gluten attacks, there is a link between delayed onset of symptoms and smoking. My doc's response was "I don't agree with it, but I'm not going to lecture you on it either."

Think I'll run have one right now :)

Elonwy

I'll answer for my DH who is the gluten-free one at our house. PEPSI or Coke. He says it is his one great pleasure. :) Kendra

My hubby would also say 'Pepsi", he is not gluten free. I am gluten free and am glad I can eat dark chocolate and corn chips, bake gluten free goodies once in a while. Yeah!! :) evie

I'm gluten free, but I am glad that I don't have to give up watermellon baby! yum, had some today for breakfast........it's God's little gift personally to me Ijust know it. LOL

Guest nini

I may be gluten-free but at least I can still have chocolate, popcorn, white rice, ice cream, fudge pops, Coca Cola, coffee, vegetarian sushi, cheese, corn chips and salsa!

i didn't realize i was hungry until i got to the end of this post...

i'm gluten free and i'm glad i didn't have to give up spinach and artichoke dip or the red pepper strips and snowpeas i'm dipping in it :)

Peanuts! Not sure what my wife would do without peanuts. Or me actually, since I don't tend to eat anything she can't have...

Roxanne, interested in the Diet Coke.... my wife has a wheat allergy (not intollerance) and her allergist said the carmel color in Coke was off limits for her allergy. I haven't tried Diet Coke since I went gluten-free... no reaction with you? This could be good news!

For me, it is "I'm Gluten-free, But I'm So Glad I Don't Have To Give Up Chocolate and Ice Cream!" :)

Roxanne, interested in the Diet Coke.... my wife has a wheat allergy (not intollerance) and her allergist said the carmel color in Coke was off limits for her allergy. I haven't tried Diet Coke since I went gluten-free... no reaction with you? This could be good news!

For me, it is "I'm Gluten-free, But I'm So Glad I Don't Have To Give Up Chocolate and Ice Cream!" :)

Last I checked, all Coke products are gluten-free. Diet coke definitely is :)

I'm gluten free, MSG free, sulfite free and I'm glad I don't have to give up my Cafe Lattes, Mocha Lattes, and Chai Latte but I just recently found out I have to watch for the ingredient sodium caseinate which is in some chai tea mixes. I get the MSG reaction to it. Its also in non dairy creamers and ice cream.

I'm gluten free, but I'm so glad I don't have to give up Chocolate, coffee, peanut butter, cheese or any kind of spicy foods.

btw, someone else was saying something about loving peanut butter....me too! I can eat it everyday (several times a day) and not get bored. I haven't been eating much bread lately, but apples and peanut butter are soooo yummy!

What a fun topic!! Thanks for starting it!

I'm gluten free but I'm soooooo glad I don't have to give up SUGAR!!!

It makes me so mad when I go to buy a gluten free product and they think they have to get rid of the regular sugar in it too - I'm just a celiac - not a diabetic!! GRRRR!!! All those nasty gluten-free products would be so much better if they kept nice and processed regular white sugar in them! I'm not fan of eating Organic foods - why do all gluten free manufactured foods HAVE to be "organic" as well?! *gags* I eat this way because I have to - not because I'm a health nut! (Okay, done venting now...)

Guest Doll
What a fun topic!! Thanks for starting it!

I'm gluten free but I'm soooooo glad I don't have to give up SUGAR!!!

It makes me so mad when I go to buy a gluten free product and they think they have to get rid of the regular sugar in it too - I'm just a celiac - not a diabetic!! GRRRR!!! All those nasty gluten-free products would be so much better if they kept nice and processed regular white sugar in them! I'm not fan of eating Organic foods - why do all gluten free manufactured foods HAVE to be "organic" as well?! *gags* I eat this way because I have to - not because I'm a health nut! (Okay, done venting now...)

Heehee...I totally agree! I personally hate most gluten-free pre-made products to begin with and am sensitive (headaches, nausea, etc.) to artificial sweeteners, so I understand. The worst part is, it's a myth that Type 1 diabetics (the rarer kind related to Celiac) can't have sugar!

I assume gluten-free companies don't have as big of a market as mainstream stuff, so they try to include "gluten-free, sugar free, organic, nut free" etc. in one product so they can sell their one product to multiple groups. As more people are Dx with Celiac, this will hopefully get better in time.

I found gluten-free gingersnaps with SUGAR that I actually like, will try to get the bag from my bf's house to get the name for you.

I am glad I didn't have to give up chocolate,fruit, goat cheese, vegetables.

I'm glad that I can still have...

1. a mushroom-swiss burger, french fries, and a diet coke with a hershey bar for dessert!

(not that nutritious...but absolutely delicious!) B)

2. Fresh veggies! yummmm :)

3. I'm glad I can still eat most breakfast foods. It's my favorite meal of the day! ;)

-Julie

Mexican Food and Margaritas, Pasta and Red Wine, Chocolate Chip Cookies (Pamelas are the best!)

gosh,this is still new to me... gluten free since the 1st of August, but I am so glad I can still have my peanut butter!! I have been eating it on apples, bananas by itself!! I also gave up soda for while trying to keep this simple.

• Celiac.com Sponsor:

• Forum Discussions

Hi!   Sorry no one had your exact symptoms.  Do you have celiac disease?  Celiac disease is an autoimmune disease that attacks the small intestine.  Once destroyed digesting foods can be difficult because enzymes can not be released, et...
    Sorry, but I am not familiar with those tests.  They are not standard for celiac disease testing which does require you to be on a full gluten diet months before a blood draw or weeks before an endoscopy.   Your symptoms could be celiac di...
    Did you have any positives on the celiac blood tests?  Small intestinal damage can be spotty since it is larger than the size of a tennis court!   If you went on an elimination diet, you probably avoided foods that you had intolerances t...