• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Claire

Celiac Disease On The Rise

Rate this topic

I haven't been here much for awhile - just terribly busy. Haven't forgotten you all.

You might want to check this out. Claire

CELIAC DISEASE ON THE RISE

Don't be surprised if you start noticing more people avoiding the bread basket. No, it's not a case of diet deja vu. Low carb is not making a comeback. But the diagnosis of celiac disease is on the rise. Or at least that's what the U.S. National Institutes of Health expects as the group embarks on a heightened awareness campaign for health professionals. [continued]

http://www.canada.com/topics/bodyandhealth...28-9fc1a0ba9423

I haven't been here much for awhile - just terribly busy. Haven't forgotten you all.

Don't be surprised if you start noticing more people avoiding the bread basket. No, it's not a case of diet deja vu. Low carb is not making a comeback. But the diagnosis of celiac disease is on the rise. Or at least that's what the U.S. National Institutes of Health expects as the group embarks on a heightened awareness campaign for health professionals. [continued]

Thank you so much for posting this. I think it's fascinating that they are quoting the US National Institute of Health--but here in the US, we haven't heard about it. US residents have to read a Canadian publication to find out about it?!

Thank you so much for posting this. I think it's fascinating that they are quoting the US National Institute of Health--but here in the US, we haven't heard about it. US residents have to read a Canadian publication to find out about it?!

I went to my home page and on the search box I typed in 3 words ( Celiac Disease news ) and came up with a lot of news articles in the US including the one by NIH in July of this year. I don't think I ever did a search like this before. There is a lot more awareness than I previously thought.

Tom

The more I think about it the title is wrong. Celiac Disease is not on the rise. The "diagnosis" of Celiac Disease is on the rise. The disease has always been here. I's time for more people to realize it.

Tom

The more I think about it the title is wrong. Celiac Disease is not on the rise. The "diagnosis" of Celiac Disease is on the rise. The disease has always been here. I's time for more people to realize it.

Tom

I'm not sure I agree with you. I think, with the increase of gluten-laden fast foods, chemicals in our foods, and fancy bakery breads and muffins in every grocery store and convenience store, not to mention the proliferation of whole-grains in our diet, that there IS an increase of celiac as well as the fact that US doctors are finally getting a clue. And I BET that vaccines are somehow linked as well.

I know I was symptom-free until I started making --and eating--pastas and breads after watching umpteen Food Network cooking shows!

Tom

I would have to say that Celiac most certainly hasn't always been so wide-spread as today. I say this based on the fact that all commercially grown modern-day wheat is extensively hybridized - such that it contains multitudes more gluten than it did just a few generations ago. There are over 20,000 hybrids on the market today, and AFAIK every single one without exception has purposely heightened levels of gluten! Add to that the fact that the DNA sequence which seems to trigger the immune system resides in a hybrid portion rather than the original. Research has yet to figure out if the original wheat would be a problem for a Celiac, but if you ask me it doesn't matter once the trigger has been thrown. The REAL question is if the original wheat would ever have led to Celiac in the first place. While I'm sure there have always been folks whom can't tolerate wheat for one reason or another, be it the gluten or something else, I highly doubt Celiac was always so common as today. Diagnosis is a separate issue, which we all know is sorely lacking of course.

From my own research I've concluded that a virus known as the adenovirus is an integral part of the Celiac puzzle. It seems that our NATURAL IMMUNE RESPONSE to this virus has been interfered with by the hybrid wheat, such that part of the gluten protein chain of amino acids is mistaken for a virus "marker" of sorts. The unanswered question is whether the original wheat gluten can so often trigger the immune response this way. I'd say our immune systems are prepared for virus mutations, and since the virus alarm goes off, it is convinced the virus must be there. After all, what else in nature would have that signature? Answer: Nothing! The hybrid wheat is NOT natural - only a recent development of man. So if the gluten looks more like the virus than is naturally possible, how is the immune system supposed to be prepared for that?

I have written about this in at least one other thread, and may have included some links to some relevant scientific articles. A search for "adenovirus" should turn them up I'd think.

Incidentally, I read growers haven't been so successful at producing any original wheat varieties, as it seems they quickly become hybridized from all the modern wheat grown elsewhere! I guess that's due to the spreading of pollen. It figures man would screw it up for everybody.

I am glad people are starting to realize what it is and that they can have it without symptoms because the more awareness we have the more people who have it will be diagnosed.