Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

prinsessa

Enterolab For 3-year-olds

My son had blood tests done to check if he was gluten intolerant and the tests came out negative. I know the blood tests aren't 100% accurate (mine were negative and I know I am gluten intolerant). I would like to get him tested through Enterolab and see what the results are. He has been extremely crabby lately. Just crying and screaming for no reason (that I can see). I think this might be a symtom of gluten intolerance. It doesn't seem like normal "terrible 2" stuff. He is also very skinny for his age. His doctor did a bunch of blood tests and his liver enzymes were high a couple of times. I heard that high liver enzymes might be a sign of gluten intolerance.

I have a couple of questions about Enterolabs since I know a lot of people here have used them. Are they accurate for small children? Which tests should I order? (it will be easier to convince DH if the tests aren't really expensive....least amount of tests will be easier) And should I also test my 8-year-old? She does have D sometimes and even told me once that wheat bothers her (she knows I can't eat wheat). Both of them are also really addicted to food that has gluten in it. TIA!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Enterolab is accurate since it measures the antibodies in the stool. The antibodies are in the intestines before it has built up enough to be in the blood. My almost 4 year old tested positive and had no obvious signs of intolerance as did my daughter who is 6.

You would have to look at enterolab website to determine what you wanted. I got the whole works for gluten (which included dairy) for $369 and the soy/egg/yeast for $199. They offer different gluten packages though, so check it out here.

They have a gluten stool test only for $99. The shipping and handling is $20, but that's because you need to ship "the sample" back to them overnight express. I did that test for my 4yo daughter, which came back positive, and just sent the sample to them for my son this week. I should know his results in 2-3 weeks.

My daughter has been gluten-free for about a week or so and I'm already noticing a difference in her. She is less irritable. And I know when I get glutened, irritable is an understatement for me. :rolleyes:

Nancy

I know I get really irritable when I glutened. I already talked to DH about doing enterolab and he didn't seem against it. I will probably order the gluten stool test tonight or tomorrow. Thanks

Are they accurate for small children? Which tests should I order?

I am ording tests for my 3 year old also. Here's the response from Entero Lab:

"Children can be tested conclusively after the age of 18 months, and it may be closer to 12 months. Your 3-year-old is certainly old enough to be tested via the stool tests now."

We're getting the whole family tested, since we just confirmed that my oldest child has celiac (highly elevated antibodies and positive genetic blood tests) and my husband has one of the genetic markers also. We have decided to use the EnteroLab "gluten sensitivity stool panel complete" to benchmark our children's progress before and after they go on the gluten-free diet (we will retest in 1 to 2 years). We have opted not to have our child biopsied.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

I was diagnosed 7 years ago and have other issues including Celiac. Regarding migraines I just want to add that I had suffered from severe migraines for 10 years. It was found my Vitamin D level was very low and after therapy, (took a couple of months) the migraines were gone. I am sometimes triggered by fodmaps and will get a migraine which took quite some time to figure out after doing the elimination diet religiously. The hardest part is sticking to it but it's very worth it to find the foods
    Having a topical reaction to wheat is an allergic reaction, not a Celiac reaction. If you have DH, the skin version of Celiac, you would have to ingest gluten to cause the skin eruption. But Kareng is correct.....these two items are so highly refined, they pose no threat to the vast majority of Celiacs.   I am a sensitive Celiac, have been doing this for 15 years and consume tocopherols with zero issues.  Everyone is different but for the vast majority of Celiacs, this is a non-issue.
    This particular flare was due to mast cell activation syndrome and SIBO. Celiac symptoms vary by individual, so don’t measure your experience with anyone else’s. You are not well and you feel it.    The bone broth I use is Kettle and Fire and Dr. Axe. Kettle and Fire is available on Amazon and my local grocery store. I order Dr. Axe from that website - I love the chocolate flavored bone broth and collagen, which I mix with coconut milk and some ice. Great for the gym. I consume either Ket