This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Milk Allergy Question

Chrisser

Chrisser Explorer

I know that some people are dairy/casein/milk/whatever intolerant after going gluten-free, but is it always a digestive reaction to it? I drank some milk earlier, and within maybe 10 minutes I started coughing deeply and my nose got stuffy. It passed within about 15 minutes. Has anyone ever had THAT kind of reaction instead of digestive? It just kinda freaked me out, but I don't really know if it was the milk or not. I haven't had a problem with it since going gluten-free 4 weeks ago, or ever in my life. It could have just been my allergies going haywire like they randomly do at times.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

No, reactions to milk aren't always digestive, just as reactions to gluten aren't necessarily digestive, either. If I drink milk, I will get a lot of mucus and get breathing problems. One of my husband's cousins gets awful depression within a day if she drinks milk. My youngest daughter (14) gets incredibly hyper from it (but she will throw up from cheese). In fact, she will start bouncing off the walls, laughing hysterically for no reason at all and is generally uncontrollable when she eats ice cream (which she will do behind my back at her friend's houses, unfortunately). :blink:

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I drank some milk earlier, and within maybe 10 minutes I started coughing deeply and my nose got stuffy.
A lot of people with celiac disease have temporary lactose intolerance until their villi heal. The enymes which break down lactose are located in the tips of the villi, so when they are damaged, lactose doesn't get digested properly and stomach problems usually occur.

Milk allergy is different from lactose intolerance and can be tested for by a skin prick test or a blood test. Your symptoms sound like milk allergy. Here is a link to help:

Open Original Shared Link

justme Enthusiast
A lot of people with celiac disease have temporary lactose intolerance until their villi heal. The enymes which break down lactose are located in the tips of the villi, so when they are damaged, lactose doesn't get digested properly and stomach problems usually occur.

Milk allergy is different from lactose intolerance and can be tested for by a skin prick test or a blood test. Your symptoms sound like milk allergy. Here is a link to help:

Open Original Shared Link

ok.. so i think i also have a problem with milk.. not sure if it is milk allergy or lactose intolerance.. but.. i get bloated and gassy.. that was what was happening before i found out gluten was a no no... now when i go dairy free it goes away... does anyone know if its milk allergy or lactose intolerance..?

CarlaB Enthusiast

I have a casein intolerance. My symptoms are generally the same as with gluten, but I have a lot of systemic mucus when I have dairy as well. Casein intolerance is permanent like gluten intolerance. Lactose intolerance can be temporary due to damaged villi.

lorka150 Collaborator

Like CarlaB, I am casein intolerant with symptoms that are similar to gluten intolerance, except also with casein my brain fog comes immediately, and I generally lose most feeling in my legs.

justme-

I had cut out lactose first, and realized soon after eating anything lactose free but not casein free, that it was casein. that is how i initially determined the difference. and because i cannot tolerate hard cheeses or yogurts (as most lactose intolerant people can). i have since re-tested casein and felt the same. it was trial and error for me.

wozzy Apprentice

I have a milk allergy (scratch test diagnosed). Um but it isn't very severe and I feel fine with a moderate amount of dairy in my diet. I don't drink milk, but I have ice cream occasionally and sometimes yogurt or cheese. Not often, though.

Sometimes my throat feels clogged after I have something with milk in it and I'll cough for awhile. I cough from other things too. My asthma seems to have gotten much worse and things like dust/mold in old houses and cigarette smoke cause a bad reaction (even with singulair). I cough and cough and cough. I wasn't like that before. My reaction to smoke and dust was just as bad when I avoided all milk products so I don't think it's making anything worse for me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Chrisser Explorer

I had food allergy prick tests done last summer in addition to my regular inhalant prick tests, and the milk came out negative. Granted that was way before gluten-free, and I know things can change, but I don't think my coughing was a result of the milk. I've had a cough on and off for the past couple of weeks, and I've been coughing all day, so I think it was just coincidental (at least I hope so - I'll probably try milk again tomorrow). Apartment air and circulation is horrible.

lorka150 Collaborator

my GI, internist, and allergist all said that prick tests for foods are only 50% effective. (not for environmental, that was 97% or similar).

Archived