• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Natlay

Sleep Disorders

Rate this topic

When I was little I used to get "night terrors" three or four times a night and would sleepwalk a lot. The doctor said that kids outgrow them around ten years old...but mine continued even after college...they put me on klonopin for a while. They pretty much went away after a while but I would still scream in my sleep every once in a while. So now I find that gluten can cause sleep problems. I have been gluten free since March...but I'm wondering if soy intolerance can maybe cause this too. My husband said I screamed a few nights ago...right after I had eaten soy chips for the first time in weeks. I also got the worst migraine I've ever had after eating them. I haven't had any gluten so could it be the soy?

I had horrible night terrors, as well as paralysis. It was so scary, because I felt like I was suffocating. I would half-wake up, but if my face was in my pillow, and I was paralyzed, I could not breath. This happened forever (into my twenties), until I was diagnosed. After gluten and casein free, I've not had one since. I've no idea about the soy, but I wanted to let you know that you aren't alone in this, and if I had more time, I'd find you some threads... But there is a few on them already there.

When I was little I used to get "night terrors" three or four times a night and would sleepwalk a lot. The doctor said that kids outgrow them around ten years old...but mine continued even after college...they put me on klonopin for a while. They pretty much went away after a while but I would still scream in my sleep every once in a while. So now I find that gluten can cause sleep problems. I have been gluten free since March...but I'm wondering if soy intolerance can maybe cause this too. My husband said I screamed a few nights ago...right after I had eaten soy chips for the first time in weeks. I also got the worst migraine I've ever had after eating them. I haven't had any gluten so could it be the soy?

I am gluten intolerant and allergic to soy.

Whenever I have the least bit of gluten I get horrific nightmares.

Before I realized it was the gluten giving me the night mares, I thought that I needed some kind of medical help. I was afraid to fall asleep.

Soy affects me in a different way, it physical. Ihope that this helps:)