This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Just Want To Eat Some Pizza That Tastes Like Pizza...

Corkdarrr

Corkdarrr Enthusiast

So that whole making pizza dough thing didn't work out for me.

I just want some pizza. Is that so much to ask?

I also want people to turn their headlights on when it is raining. Common sense, I thought.

So the good news is that I got the dough to stick to itself enough so that when I was scraping it off my hands, it clogged the sink. Silver lining, right?

And this is why we always have an Amy's frozen pizza in the freezer for backup. Backup for failed new gluten-free dinner ideas!

Any suggestions for (literally) fool proof pizza dough mixes? I tried the Namaste one last week and I did something wrong because it was really, really, really, really hard. (After a day in the fridge it was fine, though.)

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Turtle Enthusiast

You are a RIOT! I'm not much help b/c i'm retarded when it comes to making pizza too and hence depend on Amy's gluten-free Pizza for back-up. At least now I know when I go to Earthfare and all Amy's gluten-free pizza is sold out who's house its at. HAHA!

Someone posted a recipe a while back on here (not sure if that's what you tried or not) but here's the recipe that I wrote down:

1.5 c light bean flour

1 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

3/4 c milk

1/4 c vegetable oil

Preheat 400 degrees.....in bowl combine flour, baking powder & salt....in a separate bowl mix milk & vegetable oil then stir it into the dry mix....spread on a pizza pan....bake 10 min....take it out of the over and slap on your favorite toppings....bake another 9-10 min till it's nice and brown and pretty!!

Corkdarrr Enthusiast
You are a RIOT! I'm not much help b/c i'm retarded when it comes to making pizza too and hence depend on Amy's gluten-free Pizza for back-up. At least now I know when I go to Earthfare and all Amy's gluten-free pizza is sold out who's house its at. HAHA!

Someone posted a recipe a while back on here (not sure if that's what you tried or not) but here's the recipe that I wrote down:

1.5 c light bean flour

1 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

3/4 c milk

1/4 c vegetable oil

Preheat 400 degrees.....in bowl combine flour, baking powder & salt....in a separate bowl mix milk & vegetable oil then stir it into the dry mix....spread on a pizza pan....bake 10 min....take it out of the over and slap on your favorite toppings....bake another 9-10 min till it's nice and brown and pretty!!

Yes, that's me. I'm hording Columbia's supply of Amy's pizza...

So the pizza pan has little "ventilation" holes in the bottom of it. They were used more for oozing out dough than for ventilation. Perhaps a square pizza is in order when I try this recipe next week?

Did you try this recipe?

The Amy's was pretty good. I put mushrooms and onions and more cheese on it. A little garlic, oregano and basil. A tasty reminder of my wasted afternoon....

Cindy Chabot Newbie

Pizza is one of the foods that both my son and I missed. We now use the pizza crusts made by Kinninnick, they taste great. Just add your toppings and it is cooked in about 15 minutes. My husband will even eat some. Hope this helps.

lovegrov Collaborator

I just use corn tortillas.

richard

munchkinette Collaborator

Do you have a Whole Foods where you live? They have good prebaked crusts. I'm not sure what's in them but they have a specifically gluten-free section in the bakery area.

Guhlia Rising Star

Do NOT Use a pan with holes in it for that bean crust pizza. It will drip right on through. The bean crust is very good, I was the one that posted the original recipe. It's very runny after mixing, but it bakes out very nice. I would get the Bette Hagman Fast and Healthy cookbook and experiment with the different pizza crust recipes that are in it. I believe there are 3-5 different pizza crust recipes. They are all wonderful from my experience.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Corkdarrr Enthusiast

What about the Chebe mix? I've heard a lot about it and I was thinking about ordering some to try. Is it easy to make?

No, munchkinette. No Whole Foods. I should BE so lucky. I'd settle for ordering stuff online. Suggestions?

Guhlia, I forsaw the drippage problem, but was powerless to stop it. It did make me laugh a little bit, at least. Unfortuntely Bed, Bath and Beyond doesn't even carry a non-ventilated pizza pan. I don't want a crisper crust - I want the crust to stay in the pan! I'm excited to try the bean flour recipe - probably in a nice deep baking sheet.

Cindy, do you know of any websites that carry the Kinninnick crusts? I've been googling them with no luck so far.

and I just kicked my poor, dear boyfriend out of the room because he was eating ice cream. Probably the most delicious ice cream I've ever had...but it made me sick a few days ago. And I'm pouting because now he has to (gets to) finish off the rest of it!

mellajane Explorer

I have got it..... This has turned out to be the best pizza out there. Foods By George does personal cheese pizzas. They of course are pricey, I buy them by the case once a month from my local health food store.Seriously the first time I had it of course you know I was like great here comes dissapointment. Not! it was delicious. I eat pizza probably 2to3 times a week for lunch. I now put fresh tomatoes on them with garlic. They are filling..... I love my pizza!

So that whole making pizza dough thing didn't work out for me.

I just want some pizza. Is that so much to ask?

I also want people to turn their headlights on when it is raining. Common sense, I thought.

So the good news is that I got the dough to stick to itself enough so that when I was scraping it off my hands, it clogged the sink. Silver lining, right?

And this is why we always have an Amy's frozen pizza in the freezer for backup. Backup for failed new gluten-free dinner ideas!

Any suggestions for (literally) fool proof pizza dough mixes? I tried the Namaste one last week and I did something wrong because it was really, really, really, really hard. (After a day in the fridge it was fine, though.)

Thanks!

Corkdarrr Enthusiast
I have got it..... This has turned out to be the best pizza out there. Foods By George does personal cheese pizzas. They of course are pricey, I buy them by the case once a month from my local health food store.Seriously the first time I had it of course you know I was like great here comes dissapointment. Not! it was delicious. I eat pizza probably 2to3 times a week for lunch. I now put fresh tomatoes on them with garlic. They are filling..... I love my pizza!

Mellajane, Are the 'foods by george' pizzas frozen? I should invest in a chest freezer.

And then perhaps a house in which to put my new chest freezer...ahh, renting. You know you've got it good when the washing machine doubles as counter space!

Guhlia Rising Star

Yes, the Foods by George pizzas are frozen. They've always been a little too pricey for me at $6.50 for a personal sized pizza.

Get the Bette Hagman Fast and Healthy cookbook and try the "Easy Pizza Crust" recipe. It's by far the best, it tastes and feels like REAL pizza. Mmmmmmm.... I've been making it virtually every day. If you do the bean crust one, be sure to add flavorful toppings or it won't be fantastic. It has a great texture, but the flavor is strange without toppings. I usually make that one with bacon and onion OR bbq sauce, chicken, and onion. Yum. It makes the BEST bbq pizza. The bean flour pizza's texture is similar to the Amy's rice crust.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast
Open Original Shared Link
Mango04 Enthusiast

Cause Your Special makes the BEST pizza crust mix!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

daffadilly Apprentice

For those making your pizza from scratch:

when you find the recipe that you like and are using, line up about 10 of those square disposable containers & go down the line & put each dry ingredient in every container. Label the top with the directions for the wet ingredients & bake time etc, & wahlaa you have a mix that can be ready in minutes. we used to do this & just put the empty container on the bottom of the stack & then refill when the supply gets low.

When you get home with hungry kids you can make this pizza in less time than it takes the pizza delivery to get there !

Oh & we cooked ours on a cookie sheet with little sides, we dipped our fingers in oil & smoothed out the dough.

Guhlia Rising Star
For those making your pizza from scratch:

when you find the recipe that you like and are using, line up about 10 of those square disposable containers & go down the line & put each dry ingredient in every container. Label the top with the directions for the wet ingredients & bake time etc, & wahlaa you have a mix that can be ready in minutes. we used to do this & just put the empty container on the bottom of the stack & then refill when the supply gets low.

When you get home with hungry kids you can make this pizza in less time than it takes the pizza delivery to get there !

Oh & we cooked ours on a cookie sheet with little sides, we dipped our fingers in oil & smoothed out the dough.

Ooohhhh... I do that with pre-making little mixes for myself so I only have to add wet ingredients. Also, pre-making the pizzas in muffin pans, baking them, and freezing them, make great little snacks. They're like bagel bites without the D! :lol: Very delicious.

eKatherine Rookie

Perforated pizza pans are designed to be used with prebaked pizza crusts, like frozen pizza.

Jo Ann Apprentice

We've had good results with Gluten Free Pantry French Bread & Pizza Mix. One half a bag makes 1 large pizza or I have made individual pizzas with aluminum pie pans. Put corn meal on the bottom of the pan, roll out the dough between 2 sheets of well oiled plastic wrap (or pat out with oiled fingers). Spread with favorite pizza sauce, top with favorite cheeses, pepperoni, sausage, veggies, etc. Our 14 yo grandson loves it, even taking leftovers for school lunch.

Has anyone tried Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix? I heard it is good for baking, but haven't invested in it yet. Annelise Roberts says to use only very finely ground brown rice flour (like Authentic Foods) or baked products will be gritty. Anyone have experience along this line?

Appreciate all the helpful hints and recipe exchanges.

Jo Ann

Corkdarrr Enthusiast

So. I actually found a store nearby that carries the Kinninnickininidskjkl;j crusts (what a silly and completely unspellable name. hence the failure of my google searches), and so I went today and bought some!

And so since we're on the subject of blatantly obvious pizza questions...

It says nowhere on the package at what temp to bake. I assume no prebaking is neccessary before I put delicious toppings on?

You guys are so great!

Fionnghuala Newbie

I'm adding a second vote for Kinnikinnick gluten-free Pizza Crusts....they are absolutely fantastic, easy to bake, and delicious. I usually just spread Amy's Garlic Spaghetti Sauce over the top, bake with roasted veggies and a nice thick layer of monterey jack.

Do try some Kinnikinnick products..they are completely gluten-free. their chocolate doughnuts are excellent, and their bread is also worth a try toasted.

www.kinnikinnick.com

--Fionnghuala

tallen9466 Newbie

Prior to celiac - I always made my own pizza dough. So I kept working on recipes until I found one I can actually live with:

1-1/8 tsp rapid rise yeast

1/2 tsp sugar

1/4 cup warm water

Mix well and let rise in warm place

2/3 cup brown rice flour

1/3 cup tapioca flour

1/4 cup potato starch flour

1-1/8 tsp xanthan gum

Mix all dry ingredients together

1 cup warm water

Place yeast mixture and 1 cup warm water in medium bowl - stir

Gradually add dry mixture to liquid, stirring

Mix well (will be consistency of thin icing)

Pour into a very good non-stick pizza pin. I then take a spatula and spread it in the pan - it is very thin.

Put pan in warm place and let rise for about 20 minutes.

Bake for about 10-12 minutes on 425 degrees. Let cool a bit - then put on ingredients and bake for about 15 minutes or until browned.

It's as close as I've been able to come to my old pizza dough.

Teresa

Archived