Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Well, it may depend on the type of nut. Do you mean tree nuts, peanuts, or both? If you want to avoid additives, then I'd suggest the varieties which are in the metal/paperboard cans. When they aren't flavored, they typically don't have all sorts of stuff added. For some reason the ones in clear containers always seem to have all sorts of junk added, even for ones which aren't supposedly flavored.

Here's a post I made with some eye-opening links to some nut products:

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...ost&p=78843

As for cross-contamination issues, that could be a tough one unless you buy them still in the shells. Processors seem to take liberties with nuts - probably because they won't spoil so quickly. Rodents and insects can get into them, and if the same facility processes anything else, cross-contamination is more likely.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

For the absolute safest nuts, I think you'd be better off buying them still in the shell and shelling them yourself.

I buy Diamond Almonds, in the bag--whole and sliced, and have had no problem at all.

For roasted Almonds, I have verified by phone that Fisher Roasted, Salted Almonds are safe.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I get raw shelled nuts from the bins at my local health food store. They are stored in the kind of bin where you have to lift a plastic slot and they fall out from the bottom and hopefully into your plastic bag. No scoops and no hands can get into them. Unless you are over 8 ft tall. :P

So far, so good. Marcia

Jan 1990 - Dx CFS/ME/FM (URI's, Ataxia, myoclonus, orthostatic hypotension, insomnia, brain fog, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat... ) Completely Disabled (housebound and bedridden at times)

2004 - Digestive pain all the time.

May 2004 - Hiatal hernia, erosive gastritis, gastroparesis (endoscopy)

August 2004 - Colon polyps, diverticulitus, internal hemorrhoids (colonoscopy)

No relief from Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, Zelnorm, Miralax, Imodium, Lomotil ...

July 2005 - GP recommended WFDFSFEFCF + vegan (Also, anything that hurts free)

Immediately stopped needing naps and digestive pain reduced.

Sept 2005 - GFDFCFSFEF + chemical free - Immediately stopped feeling jittery / buzzing and digestive issues were much better.

June 2006 - Dx B12 and iron deficient. Started B12 injections and using cast iron pan.

August 2006 - MYOCLONUS GONE. (off Klonopin)

September 2006 - ATAXIA, INSOMNIA and Feeling like the floor was moving under my feet gone.

June 19, 2007 - Positive DQ2, Dx Celiac

October 2007 - Sleeping like a baby, waking up with energy, but still having fatigue/stamina issues

Nov 2007 - Started Paleo diet for chronic hypoglycemia

April 2008 - GTT normal. I'm no longer hypoglycemic. Started Low oxalate diet for kidney stones.

May 1, 2008 - Began salt loading for OI/NMH - noticed immediately muscle weakness was gone. I was sodium deficient but my labs don't reflect it. Still working on OI and PEM.

The only nuts / seeds that I buy sans shell are Kirkland Brand (Costco) almonds.

Gluten-free, Vegan

I buy Wegman's brand honey roasted cashews.......Wegmans' labels all of their gluten-free products very clearly. AND they are yummy!!!!!!!!

Amy

Gluten Free since 4/05 - adult onset

Symptoms for 4+ years prior

Immediate family tests negative

No Known family members w/ celiac disease

I buy Wegman's brand honey roasted cashews.......Wegmans' labels all of their gluten-free products very clearly. AND they are yummy!!!!!!!!

I second that heartily. I have NEVER had a problem with CC with wegmans in about 3 years. The one item ( a barbeque sauce) that did give me problems I called about and they removed the gluten-free label then reformulated it with distilled vinegar from corn before they reintroduced it. They even put out gluten-free pickles, I love Wegmans. When my DS gets out of school he is insisting he be located in a state that has their stores.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)