Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest AutumnE

Forgotten Cookies Recipe

Guest AutumnE

Forgotten Cookies

about 60 cookies

4 egg whites

1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

1 3/4 cups confectioners sugar

2 cups (8 oz.) ground almonds (optional)

1 to 2 cups chocolate chips (how much you prefer)

In large mixing bowl at high speed, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy. Add sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating constantly until whites are glossy and stand in stiff peaks. Gently fold in almonds. Drop by tablespoonful or pipe through pastry tube or food-storage bag onto lightly greased or lined (foil or waxed, brown or parchment paper) baking sheets.

Bake in preheated 225

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My mother has been making these cookies for year - long before any of us even heard of gluten-free! They really are good. She doesn't put in nuts, but will sometimes put in chocolate chips.

Ev in Michigan

GFDF since 8/20/05

Negative Bloodwork ~

Dr. encourages me to trust my

"Gut Reaction"

Guest AutumnE

Variations:

Use amounts listed for 1 batch of cookies. To make 2 variations at a time, divide meringue mixture equally between 2 bowls. Beat or fold 1/2 the ingredient amounts listed for a variation into 1 of the bowls and 1/2 the ingredient amounts listed for a second variation into the second bowl. For all variations, omit ground almonds.

Brandy Alexander Beat in 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa, 2 teaspoons vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon brandy extract.

Cherry/Almond Fold in 1 cup chopped, drained maraschino cherries and 1 cup chopped almonds.

Chocolate Beat in 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa and 2 teaspoons vanilla.

Citrus Beat in 2 tablespoons grated orange peel, 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract and a few drops yellow food coloring.

Mint/Chocolate Chip Beat in 1/2 teaspoon mint extract and a few drops green food coloring. Fold in 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels.

Rocky Road Beat in 2 teaspoons vanilla. Fold in 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels and 1 cup chopped nuts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Ev I whole heartedly agree, they are so good. Im still changing it around but adding info from the years that I collected. We made ours with chocolate too but I figured its also good without it for those who are dairy free.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM :P

jennyj

Diagnosed March 2006 celiac sprue

Severe iron deficent anemia Jan 2002

Hypoglecemia 2000

"I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me"

Almond macaroons, amaretti in Italian.

Those are also very good substituting pistachios or pecans for the almonds - grind in the blender with some of the sugar until quite fine. Traditional recipes may call for granulated sugar and a bit of flour, for which I would sub rice flour.

Nothing

Sounds good Autumn.....Thank you! :)

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

Guest AutumnE

Your Welcome :) I made a batch last night of the mint chocolate ones and ooh it was so good this morning. My daughter loved having a cookie after breakfast :)