Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Drama Queen

Wheat Allergy/celiac Disease

Since my last post, I have gotten an appointment with the G.I. that did my colonoscopy. It's not till the 11th, so I'm trying to be patient and not change my diet, so as not to mess with the blood work...even though I really feel like I would feel much better if I just started eating gluten-free.

I get weekly allergy injections, so it occurred to me to get a list of the things that I'm allergic to today. Wheat was one of them! It wasn't the highest on my list, but it was close (2 points difference). Higher ones were corn, coconut, eggs, milk, and peanuts...but soy and yeast were also there.

To me, it makes total sense that the allergins that I tested for with allergies would also be giving me problems intestinally. Am I thinking right? Will showing the G.I. my allergy test results hold any weight? Could my problems JUST be food allergies and not Celiac Disease?

At one point, the Allergist (ENT) started me on food drops (not injections), but they seemed to be giving me intestinal issues (constipation, then diarrea)...which also makes sense, because the syrum is made up of the things you are allergic to--to build up a tolerance to them. My "inhalent" allergies are so bad, though, he wanted to get those under control, so we stopped the food drops and haven't started them back up.

What do you guys think?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You could be allergic and intolerant.

I had allergy tests done and found out I was allergic to wheat/gluten/gliadin/soy and dairy among others.

I then went through enterolab for everything they offer and found that I was intolerant to gluten and soy but not dairy.

An intolerance to something means you can't ever eat it again, whereas an allergy is something that you may be able to get your body to forget by not eating it for at least 2 months, preferably 6 or longer and then adding that food back in and seeing if you have an allergic reaction to it. You would need to drop all the foods you tested allergic to for this to work.

Welcome. :D

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

Since my last post, I have gotten an appointment with the G.I. that did my colonoscopy. It's not till the 11th, so I'm trying to be patient and not change my diet, so as not to mess with the blood work...even though I really feel like I would feel much better if I just started eating gluten-free.

I get weekly allergy injections, so it occurred to me to get a list of the things that I'm allergic to today. Wheat was one of them! It wasn't the highest on my list, but it was close (2 points difference). Higher ones were corn, coconut, eggs, milk, and peanuts...but soy and yeast were also there.

To me, it makes total sense that the allergins that I tested for with allergies would also be giving me problems intestinally. Am I thinking right? Will showing the G.I. my allergy test results hold any weight? Could my problems JUST be food allergies and not Celiac Disease?

At one point, the Allergist (ENT) started me on food drops (not injections), but they seemed to be giving me intestinal issues (constipation, then diarrea)...which also makes sense, because the syrum is made up of the things you are allergic to--to build up a tolerance to them. My "inhalent" allergies are so bad, though, he wanted to get those under control, so we stopped the food drops and haven't started them back up.

What do you guys think?

Allergy and intolerance are two different things, but allergies can give you GI symptoms just the same. I've seen my allergies change over my lifetime. Food wise, I've since outgrown my peanut allergy, but have developed food allergies related to my severe Birch pollen allergy: all raw tree fruit, almonds & halzelnuts. From what I understand it's unusual to outgrow something like a peanut allergy, but to keep it out of your diet for a long period of time could help. Apparently, once you "outgrow" a food allergen, you need to keep ingesting it to remain free from allergy to that particular food.

Knowing that you are allergic to wheat should mean something to your G.I. I think it's reason enough to eliminate it from your diet regardless of your gluten intolerance/celiac status. Also, if you eliminate your food allergens from your diet, you may actually see some improvement with your inhaled allergies as well. Personally, I think it's hard on your body to continue to bombard it with allergens...giving it a break could be a good thing.

Michelle

I have multiple respiratory allergies that cause severe nasal symptoms. The worst was the congestion. No drug on the market could wipe out my congestion. When I stopped eating gluten, the congestion went away. It was an intolerant reaction to the gluten. You could very well have the same complication.

Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

I tested positive for a wheat allergy and also positive for Celiac Disease.

"Throw yourself a pity-party and you'll be the only guest." - Earlene Fowler

Diag. Celiac Disease by positive blood test 2/03/2004

Allergies - corn, soy, casein, egg whites and wheat

Morphia Scleroderma

Osteoarthritis

Hypothyroid and Hperthyroid

Essential Tremors

Asthma

Migraines

Fibromyalgia - diag. in 1978 when they called it Fibrositis

PAD Peripheral Artery Disease

Angina and Atrial Fibrillation

Gluten Ataxia

Vitiligo

Scoliosis of the spine (caused by malabsorption and it is horribly painful) This would be enough reason for someone to go gluten free.

Ocular Myastenia Gravis