Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daria

Help Interpreting Resluts Of Blood Work & Next Steps

Hi all- this is brand new to us.. son with learning delays and we are searching for clues.. got his bloodwork back as: negative for HLA-DQ2 or HLA-DQ8 which I guess 97% of folks wiht celiac have one or the other. However his Gliadin IgA Antibodies were high (6.7) as well as Gliadin IgG Antibodies (16.6). We've been referred to a GI doc and have started gluten-free diet but am curious if anyone else has run into this. Also, if you have suggestions on what other tests to run. Looking at Enterolab stool test- but wondering if we need the full panel or can just go with the gene sensitivity stool test.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I would recommend the whole gluten panel they offer which includes the gene test, malabsorption, ttg and the IgA antibodies. I think they are offering dairy with that too (they were in May). Enterolab also tests for the gluten sensitivity gene which could also be a factor.

If you are going to want your son to go through a biopsy then you won't want to go gluten free with him until after the procedure. If you don't want the biopsy which is hit and miss then enterolab is definately the way to go. I had my family tested through them and was very pleased with their service. Results that were positive are in my sig.

Welcome. :D

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

I've never experienced a biopsy but from what I understand the have a tube that goes down your throat to the start of your intestines and they take samples from various spots and then analyze them to see if they are damaged. They can see whether there is redness or irritation. Just because a biopsy can be negative doesn't mean that gluten is not a problem. From what others have said a biopsy can confirm celiac if there is damage but doesn't rule out celiac if it is negative. I believe it is a GI that performs the biopsy.

Also, with young children they are often negative. The enterolab tests would be best unless you need something permanent on his medical record. Also if the biopsy is negative then you would also still need to consider enterolab testing to find out if he has a gluten intolerance or not.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.