Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ArtGirl

I Made My Own Ginger Ale Today

I made an infusion from fresh ginger, sweetened it, and added some to sparkling mineral water. This was SO good. Here's what I did.

diced some fresh ginger root (peel off the outer bark. cut thin slices, then cut them up in small pieces - maybe next time I'll try grating the ginger.) Ended up with about a tablespoon of ginger.

Dropped the ginger in about 1-1/2 cup of water that had come to a boil but was no longer boiling, and let it sit for about a half hour and then strained the ginger out of the water.

I sweetened the water with sugar and stevia - about 3 tsp of sugar and 1/8 tsp stevia.

I found the "tea" was strong enough that I could dilute it equal parts with more water.

Then, I poured about 1/4 cup of the undiulted ginger water into a glass and added mineral water for my own ginger ale.

Just wanted to share this with those of you who like ginger.

Valda

Enterolab results: ...two genes for gluten intolerance ...casein intolerance

other sensitivities: corn, eggs, soy, potato, tapioca

Hypoglycemic

Sensitivity to high EMFs [electromagnetic frequency] (limits my time in front of the computer)

Living a healthier, happier life.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.Psalm 139: 9,10

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

That sounds delicious!!! My mouth is watering.

I never know what to do with the rest of the ginger when I buy it for a recipe. This is what I'm going to do from now on.

Mmm...

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

~Chinese Proverb

What a great idea! I've made hot ginger tea many times when I wasn't feeling well, but never thought of making a cold drink with it. Since my favorite local ginger ale won't tell me if it's gluten-free, I'm especially grateful for the idea of making some hot stuff for myself!

Thanks,

Leah

The Queen of Hearts,

She made some tarts

All on a summer's day.

The Knave of Hearts,

He stole the tarts

And took them clean away.

Diagnosed at age 49 by biopsy 31 May 2006

Learning how to bake those tarts gluten-free!