Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FeedIndy

Flour For Basic Cooking?

I am new to gluten free cooking. I have an infant who tested negative for celiac, but while we waited on results we had eliminated gluten anyway. She showed improvement after just a few days so her doctor and I are assuming some type of wheat allergy. She'll be tested by an allergist in a couple months, but we're sticking gluten free in the meantime. She's 10 months old now and normally I would have been starting to give her some table foods so she can begin to eat with us. However, she is also lactose intolerant so I have put that off.

My question is what type of flour can I use for basic breading, thickening, etc that the rest of the family won't mind? I'd love to do some things gluten free for all of us just for the sake of not cooking two separate meals every night. I have seen a lot of recipes for gluten free flour blends, but I really just want to buy something simple to try it out in some of my usual recipes.

Mom to 3 girls

DD1-diagnosed by allergist 10/2006

DD4 & DD9-diagnosed by Mom 01/2007

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Guest ~jules~

I've been coating things in Arrowhead Mills gluten-free All purpose baking mix, I honestly can't tell the difference. As far as thickening you can always use cornstarch. There are alot of good cookbooks out there, and if you ever have any questions this group can help alot as well..

Instant mashed potato flakes are used constantly in my house - I bread things with them and use them to thicken soups and stews. We love it and it works great (every brand I've seen is gluten free but a few do have milk powder in them so read the label).

Potato flakes make GREAT breading. If you want something super simple, you could always try Kinnikinnick's breading mix, it's very tasty. You could also do gluten free bread crumbs and egg.

As for your little one, chances are that at 10 months she would have tested negative whether she has celiac or not. Even if she does not test positive for a wheat allergy, you may want to wait to reintroduce gluten until she's old enough to describe her symptoms. Until then, you can have a gene test run on her to see if she has any of the known celiac genes. I hope she continues to improve on the gluten free diet.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004