This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Wheat Allergy = Celiac Disease?

fee fee

fee fee Newbie

Hi there I am new to this website. I'm not sure if I am a celiac or just wheat intollerant and I would like to find out.

I was told a few years ago by a naturopath to cut out all wheat totally. I did 3 months gluten free and felt the best I had in years. I had always taken the pill because it cleared up my back acne (yuk I know). I also had dermatitis in funny places as a teenager. The main thing was I always felt bloated and sick after eating. At the time I ate a lot of wheat.

Over the years I have tried to stick to it and always regret it when I don't but I usually just avoid wheat and not gluten totally.

I have started looking at this website because tonight I was googleing infertility and wheat allergies and it led me to celiac disease. I had a m/c and have since been unable to fall pregnant. I think that perhaps it may be related.

I also have this weird lump that I get behind my ear(s) I have one at the moment its usually just got fluid in it and I haven't had one for a while, I don't know if this is the dermititis I am reading about or not.

Another strange thing... the website I saw said something about celiac disease affecting your tooth enamel! I am surprised to hear that. Just last week I had a divot in my tooth white-filled for the second time because the enamel (and previous filling) had worn away. The tooth next to it seems to have one starting too. The dentist said I'm brushing too hard but I am sure I'm not.

So after me telling you my life story (actually I've left a few gories out believe it or not) I am starting to think... well is this wheat allergy problem more than that... and if so how do I find out.

Thank you in advance to anyone that can help!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LKelly8 Rookie
Hi there I am new to this website. I'm not sure if I am a celiac or just wheat intollerant and I would like to find out. . .

. . . I also have this weird lump that I get behind my ear(s) I have one at the moment its usually just got fluid in it and I haven't had one for a while, I don't know if this is the dermititis I am reading about or not.

Wheat allergy has a sudden onset, with typical allergic reactions, and could escalate to anaphylatic shock.

Wheat intolerance/sensitivity has a much slower onset and more chronic symptoms, some of which you described, infertility and loss of tooth enamel.

Celiac disease is an inherited autoimmune disorder. I'm sure you've probably found this page by now. ("Celiac Disease and Gluten Sensitivity - What's the Difference?" by Ron Hoggan) Also Allergy v. Intolerance

As a fellow "bacne" :blink: (back-acne) sufferer I can tell you that thing behind your ear is a cyst. Unpleasant but responsive to topical anti-bs and liberal doses of 2.5 acne cream. (if they had a smiley face with pimples all over it, I'd use it all the time.) :lol:

RiceGuy Collaborator

Welcome to the board! So glad you found this site, as I'm sure you will benefit.

As for whether your wheat allergy equates to Celiac Disease, IMHO I'd say it's likely. I don't know if there can be a wheat allergy without it since AFAIK that means the immune system responds. That response will sooner or later cause damage. However, does it really matter? I mean, either way you'd be on the gluten-free diet, right? Anyway, you do have a number of other symptoms which seem common among Celiacs, so to me that says YES also.

I hope this helps you obtain an answer. I'm certain many others will chime in with their thoughts too.

Just don't feel so intimidated about having to go on a totally gluten-free diet. It's not really so difficult, and you'll feel far better on it. This board is a great resource for support and things like recipes too.

fee fee Newbie

Hi there thank you both for your responses. I really appreciate it.

Sorry I meant wheat intolerance, not allergy.

I did used to take antiBs for a long time, but I didn't like taking them long term. The doctor thought it was my diet but he thought I ate too much grease! The trouble is we tend to believe what the doctors say (well I used to anyway) thankfully there are now discussions like this and websites that can help provide alternative answers.

I am taking your advice, and will stick to a gluten-free diet and see what happens. As RiceGuy said, it is rather intimidating for me but I don't know why, giving up wheat wasn't that hard (once I got used to it) so I'm sure I'll get used to gluten-free in no time and I am sure it will be so worth it.

Thanks so much for your advice!! :D

Helena Contributor

wheat allergy and celiac disease are two totally different conditions. it is possible to have both at the same time, but a person with a wheat allergy does not *necessarily* have celiac and vice versa. Yes, both reactions involve the immune system, but different parts of the immune system. A person with a wheat allergy will have IgE antibodies that attack wheat when consumed . . . a person with celiac disease will most likely have anti-tissue transglutiminase (sp?) antibodies and antigliadin antibodies. Also, a person with wheat allergy will likely get a hive (wheal) on the skin prick test--not so with celiac disease patients. To make it more confusing, someone can have an allergy *or* celiac disease, but neither condition might show up on the medical tests!

It is really important to distinguish between the two because there are major implications for treatment. i.e. if you have a severe wheat allergy, you may need to carry an epipen in case of a life threatening allergic reaction. An epipen will be worse than useless if you have celiac disease.

While I think that naturopaths can be helpful for some things--and they can help you figure out which foods you are sensitive to, from what I've heard, they don't really distinguish between intolerances, celiac disease, allergies.

mellajane Explorer

When I was tested I was not eating wheat for a month.It was not until later that I added gluten as well. All my test have always come back negative. But this diet is the only thing that has ever worked.I have been sick since I was a little girl and am now 30.

Like they say the symptoms seem to be different. I am 100% sure I am allergic to wheat. When researching I found the wheat allergy symptoms fit mine to a T. Rather than the gluten symptoms not so much.It was very confusing because really I did not have gluten symptoms.. Until I googled wheat allergy. It was a different story. Just until recently did I realize I should have epinephren shots on me. It makes sense. I get very, very ill. I always have to let it run its course!I am 2 years wheat and gluten free and feel great . I seriously live without being sick for a week. I was getting sick easily 3x a month. Not anymore. If you go wheat and gluten free you should notice a difference immedietly in the first week.You have to go 100%. Test mean nothing in my book. Mine are all negative. But my life is a whole lot better.

Hi there I am new to this website. I'm not sure if I am a celiac or just wheat intollerant and I would like to find out.

I was told a few years ago by a naturopath to cut out all wheat totally. I did 3 months gluten free and felt the best I had in years. I had always taken the pill because it cleared up my back acne (yuk I know). I also had dermatitis in funny places as a teenager. The main thing was I always felt bloated and sick after eating. At the time I ate a lot of wheat.

Over the years I have tried to stick to it and always regret it when I don't but I usually just avoid wheat and not gluten totally.

I have started looking at this website because tonight I was googleing infertility and wheat allergies and it led me to celiac disease. I had a m/c and have since been unable to fall pregnant. I think that perhaps it may be related.

I also have this weird lump that I get behind my ear(s) I have one at the moment its usually just got fluid in it and I haven't had one for a while, I don't know if this is the dermititis I am reading about or not.

Another strange thing... the website I saw said something about celiac disease affecting your tooth enamel! I am surprised to hear that. Just last week I had a divot in my tooth white-filled for the second time because the enamel (and previous filling) had worn away. The tooth next to it seems to have one starting too. The dentist said I'm brushing too hard but I am sure I'm not.

So after me telling you my life story (actually I've left a few gories out believe it or not) I am starting to think... well is this wheat allergy problem more than that... and if so how do I find out.

Thank you in advance to anyone that can help!!

Archived