Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2Boys4Me

Canadian Parents

I'm trying to draft a letter to the parents of the kids in Ty's class to ask that they call me before they send treats in for birthdays/Valentine's etc. Here's what I have so far. I'm just looking for other treats I may have left off the list, or if the list is wrong I'd like to know that too. All the treats listed should also be peanut free because the school discourages bringing peanuts.

Also, I'd like not to be chastized for waiting until the first day school is in session to think of this. :P

________

Dear Team 2C Parents:

My son, Ty, is in your son or daughter’s class. He is on a restricted diet, and I ask that if you are going to be sending treats to class with your child that you please notify me so that I may send a treat with him.

He cannot eat anything with wheat (including all-purpose flour), rye, oats, barley or malt. This means he can’t have cookies, cupcakes, pretzels, crackers, Rice Krispie squares, Smarties, Twizzlers licorice or anything like that.

He CAN have:

Hershey’s Kisses

snack-size Aero bars

Dare Fruit Gummies

Starburst candy

Jolly Rancher candy

Skittles

Tootsie pops and Tootsie rolls

Rockets

Plain or Wavy Lay’s chips

Hawkin’s Cheezies

Jello, Healthy Choice and Hunt’s pudding & jello snack packs

Dentyne, Trident and Wrigley’s gum.

Sun-Rype Fruit-to-Go and Energy-to-Go

Minute Maid juices

Sun-Rype juices

Five Alive

Pepsi/Coke

Sprite/7-Up

Canada Dry ginger ale

Carnation hot chocolate

Thank you,

Linda S.

Does anybody have info on whether ALL Jello brand or Healthy Choice/Hunt's puddings are gluten-free? I think all Jello brand are, but I'm not sure about the others. I don't want to make it too confusing. I don't expect anyone to go around reading labels or whatever, I'd just like a head up if they are bringing a treat and if they want to bring one of these items that's fine, too. Ty will have a stash in the teacher's desk, so if someone shows up unexpectedly with Timbits or something, he will have access to a treat.

Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)

Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05

biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05

Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The Dallas ROCK group came up with this (there's a link to the pdf at the top)

<a href="http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:q3S3XDzf-xcJ:www.dallasrock.org/pdf/SchoolGFList.pdf+gluten+free+snack+candy+list&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&celiac disease=1" target="external ugc nofollow">http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:q3S3XD...t=clnk&celiac disease=1</a>

I know you're in Canada, but maybe it'll help anyway.

Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy

We'll all float on, alright

Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

Wow Chelsea! You're quick. We don't have half those brands in Canada which is why I was trying to limit the suggestion list to just a few items. I don't want the parents to feel bad if they send something Ty can't have and so the suggestions I'd made were for easy to find nut-free/gluten-free treats.

Thanks for the link though, I'll probably modify it and give it to the teacher.

Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)

Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05

biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05

Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

I'm trying to draft a letter to the parents of the kids in Ty's class to ask that they call me before they send treats in for birthdays/Valentine's etc. Here's what I have so far. I'm just looking for other treats I may have left off the list, or if the list is wrong I'd like to know that too. All the treats listed should also be peanut free because the school discourages bringing peanuts.

Also, I'd like not to be chastized for waiting until the first day school is in session to think of this. :P

________

Dear Team 2C Parents:

My son, Ty, is in your son or daughter’s class. He is on a restricted diet, and I ask that if you are going to be sending treats to class with your child that you please notify me so that I may send a treat with him.

He cannot eat anything with wheat (including all-purpose flour), rye, oats, barley or malt. This means he can’t have cookies, cupcakes, pretzels, crackers, Rice Krispie squares, Smarties, Twizzlers licorice or anything like that.

He CAN have:

Hershey’s Kisses

snack-size Aero bars

Dare Fruit Gummies

Starburst candy

Jolly Rancher candy

Skittles

Tootsie pops and Tootsie rolls

Rockets

Plain or Wavy Lay’s chips

Hawkin’s Cheezies

Jello, Healthy Choice and Hunt’s pudding & jello snack packs

Dentyne, Trident and Wrigley’s gum.

Sun-Rype Fruit-to-Go and Energy-to-Go

Minute Maid juices

Sun-Rype juices

Five Alive

Pepsi/Coke

Sprite/7-Up

Canada Dry ginger ale

Carnation hot chocolate

Thank you,

Linda S.

Does anybody have info on whether ALL Jello brand or Healthy Choice/Hunt's puddings are gluten-free? I think all Jello brand are, but I'm not sure about the others. I don't want to make it too confusing. I don't expect anyone to go around reading labels or whatever, I'd just like a head up if they are bringing a treat and if they want to bring one of these items that's fine, too. Ty will have a stash in the teacher's desk, so if someone shows up unexpectedly with Timbits or something, he will have access to a treat.

Hi

Your letter is very good.

But I would talk to your sons teacher. You may find that she would be willing to keep a bag of treats(provided by you) in the class room. So that when treats arrive in the class room you son can go to his bag and select a treat for himself. This systems works for my son and other classmates with allergies and intolerances. My son likes to select the treats that go in the bag.

This also means that you do not have to trust other parents and your son is not left without a treat by accident.

My son's preschool doesn't provide snacks due to allergies, special diets and such. So in addition to his "safe foods", I also send in a box of popsicles to be kept in the freezer as well as a couple of frozen cupcakes. I haven't had any problems with Zachary's school concerning his diet.

Can you believe school is starting?? :blink: Zachary starts tomorrow!

PS--NO ONE should be chastizing you for "waiting" to send in a letter on the first day. The fact that you're sending a letter is what's important! :)

~Kristy~

Zachary (5 y/o son) -negative labs, no biopsy, gluten-free diet 3/06 with amazing results

*Enterolab testing: auto-immune response, main-Celiac gene/HLA-DQ 2, non-Celiac gluten sensitivity gene/HLA-DQ 3

"Congratulations!

Today is your day.

You're off to Great Places!

You're off and away!"

--Oh The Places You'll Go

by Dr. Seuss