Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chgomom

White Spots And Ridges On My Nails And Joint Pain?

Maybe I am stupid, but my general doc does not seem to be concerned I just broke a small bone in my foot, with no obvious trauma and not I have white spots and ridges on my nails?

I am pushing to see my new GI doc sooner, because I think I could have a serious imbalance with calcium or zinc or something (form what I am reading)

I am just being over sensitive or overreactive??

Quod me nutrit, me destruit

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have had all three. I have read that they can be symptoms of gluten intolerance.

Have you been checked for osteoporosis?

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

I had that and a few months later was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. joint pain, ridged nails, are both symptoms of ra. I also cracked a bone in my foot just walking. Also from problems with ra.

hypothyroid

hypoglycemic (diagnosed 1997 but symptomatic since grade school)

fibromyalgia

rheumatoid arthritis (diagnosed January 2005)

peanut allergy

restarting gluten-free January 20, 2013

elevated liver enzymes + symptoms indicated celiac January 31, 2013. Dr. didn't want to run further tests due to other health complications

I think you're on the right track with the deficiencies and nail issues/weak bones. I've heard that several times over the years. And yes gluten can contribute, since the compromised digestive system won't be absorbing all the nutrients you are supposed to derive from what you eat.

As for joint pains, I was having VERY serious, truly debilitating pains until just recently, when I found out that nightshade foods were the culprit. It has been taking awhile to get back to pain-free, but slowly it's getting there. I have to keep in mind I had months of nightshades on a daily basis, so my system was probably quite overloaded with the toxins. Interestingly, my nails started really getting thin and brittle during this time too! And ridges also.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Looking at all of my nails, I hand ridge that go vertical, some are "deep" others are not,

then I have white patches, then some of them are "darker" (not like black or blue or anything) towards the tips....

Ugghhhh I feel like I am whining...and then looking back on this this I have had this happen in my feet before, but they did not see a break. So should I even go to urgent care and get an x-ray? I don't know....

Then I get shooting pains in my knees from time to time....

Doc says no RA or LUPUS because my ana and sed were normal, although I have the other symptoms.

My CRP and complement levels are all sky high, butr he wants another GI eval because of the IGA and TTG levels and wants someone else to concur....

Uggghhhh

I am concerned abotu Sjogrens, Lupus, MS because I have a family history of it....

Quod me nutrit, me destruit

Try taking some zinc supplements and calcium+vitamin D supplements - if you are deficient in vitamin D you wont absorb teh calcium properly no matter how much you have in your diet. try the supplements a while and see how you get on. you may want to ask for a boen density scan as well though, to check you dont have osteopenia (weakening of the bones, whereas osteoporosis is crumbling of them). hope that helps, take care,

Looking at all of my nails, I hand ridge that go vertical, some are "deep" others are not,

then I have white patches, then some of them are "darker" (not like black or blue or anything) towards the tips....

Ugghhhh I feel like I am whining...and then looking back on this this I have had this happen in my feet before, but they did not see a break. So should I even go to urgent care and get an x-ray? I don't know....

Then I get shooting pains in my knees from time to time....

Doc says no RA or LUPUS because my ana and sed were normal, although I have the other symptoms.

My CRP and complement levels are all sky high, butr he wants another GI eval because of the IGA and TTG levels and wants someone else to concur....

Uggghhhh

I am concerned abotu Sjogrens, Lupus, MS because I have a family history of it....

Gee you sound like me prediagnosis. It took a long time gluten-free but I am now pain (though not deformity) free and my nails are hardly ridged at all. I also had to cut out nightshades for a while and still only eat them rarely but I did get rid of the last of my joint pain when I eliminated them.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)