Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cycler

What Is Almond Flour?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I found almond flour at Trader Joes....its just basically ground up almonds....thats all it is. I dont see it sold in very many places though...actually I've only seen it at Trader Joes.

Rachel

So is it ok to just use the packages of ground almonds that are sold anywhere? I've gotten them at Kosher supermarkets and they sell almost every type of ground nuts.

But won't there be an almond flavor to whatever is baked using it? Or doesn't it matter?

I buy Bob's brand almond flour at my local health food store. You could always make your own, but I think it's way more work that it's worth. I'd rather pay a bit more (and boy is it pricey) for the convenience factor. We work hard enough as it is just eating. :) You might check your local health food store, it might be there and you haven't noticed it yet.

OH! Sometimes it's in a refrigerated section.

I would like to add that I never actually used the almond flour I found at Trader Joes because it has a cya statement on it. It was processed on the same equipment as wheat.

Rachel

I tried the Bob's but found it more chunky than flour-like. When I want ground almonds in a baking recipe, I put whole or blanced almonds in the blender with some of the liquid and blend til smooth. You have to play with it, but you see what I mean.

Nothing

Almond flour is more finely ground than the ground almonds you buy in the store. You can grind the ground almonds further in your blender.

I use it for baking (I can't eat any grains) and buy it at:

www.nutsforu.com

They sell a variety of other nut flours. The pecan flour makes incredible baked stuff.