This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Just Have To Share...

VydorScope

VydorScope Proficient

Sharing this in this section, cause realy only a parent would understand..

Our son is EXTREMLY hyper. Yes, I know he is three.. but he is ALOT more active then other three year olds, and thats alway been true. Every teacher/etc has always told us that, and you can see it if you watch him in a class. So he can be a bit of a handle. He gets himself in to more trouble because he WANTS to help then anything else....plus you add all teh issues with his celiac disease and egg allery, he can be a real handful and then some!!

Well based onthat you can guess how shocking this is. Ms Rebbecca, his new Sunday school teacher, actually told us " I was HOPING he would be in my class! I am so happy I got him!" :o

Thats enough to make a grown daddy tear up.....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KrisT Explorer

Our son is EXTREMLY hyper. Yes, I know he is three.. but he is ALOT more active then other three year olds, and thats alway been true. Every teacher/etc has always told us that, and you can see it if you watch him in a class. So he can be a bit of a handle. He gets himself in to more trouble because he WANTS to help then anything else....plus you add all teh issues with his celiac disease and egg allery, he can be a real handful and then some!!

Well based onthat you can guess how shocking this is. Ms Rebbecca, his new Sunday school teacher, actually told us " I was HOPING he would be in my class! I am so happy I got him!" :o

Thats enough to make a grown daddy tear up.....

A big congrats to that! Its always wonderful to get a teacher who really "gets" your kid!

BTW Have you looked into his activity possibly being a result of preservatives and food dyes? I was a Special Ed teacher for a short time and found out that many of the problems these kids were having came from the food additives. I think its the Feingold diet that touches on this... not 100% sure. Just a thought.

VydorScope Proficient

OPS I ment week day school teacher not Sunday school teacher.. heh :D

A big congrats to that! Its always wonderful to get a teacher who really "gets" your kid!

BTW Have you looked into his activity possibly being a result of preservatives and food dyes? I was a Special Ed teacher for a short time and found out that many of the problems these kids were having came from the food additives. I think its the Feingold diet that touches on this... not 100% sure. Just a thought.

Food dyes and additives defintitly CAN cause that, of that I have no doubt. Right now we are working on broadening his food selections so that we can have a bit more fleixiblity in tring different things, and I am tyring to pay attn to what he eats and what he does following it... prbly need to create a food log to get a better handle on it.

He has always been overactive though, even in the womb....

jerseyangel Proficient

What a nice thing to hear! You and Kristi must be so proud :D

And I think that teacher has very good taste :)

Lisa Mentor

Vincent:

My best advise to you is to learn how to channel that energy in a productive manner, reading, art, hands on puzzels, small tool (age approp), lego's are great and a good parent child activity. At 3 yrs old, you have a long road ahead of you. Keep those hands busy with productive and learning activities.

When my Catherine was in grade school, she would mix up toothpaste, shampoo,ajax,windex, and anything to could concoct in her bathroom sink....(which by the way ate up all to metal components of the sink drain, in every house that we have lived in). Today, she is a Chemist testing drugs, before FDA approval.

You have a long way to go, but feed that fire and good things will come.

Lisa

wonkabar Contributor

Yes, I know he is three.. but he is ALOT more active then other three year olds, and thats alway been true. Every teacher/etc has always told us that, and you can see it if you watch him in a class. So he can be a bit of a handle.

:lol::blink::lol::blink: I couldn't help but truly laugh out loud and read this to my husband...then he laughed out loud! We understand this all too well. Zachary is 3 1/2 and also has a "high level of energy". He isn't hyperactive but does frequently move about the room he's in. His biggest issue is attention and distractability which is the root of the "high level of energy". He can certainly be a handful sometimes, too, as only a 3 year old with ADD could. :blink:

His preschool teacher knows that I taught special ed before I stayed home, so we've had some really funny conversations about Zachary. She's often tells me how bright he is but can't string beads if he's sitting next to someone. :lol::lol: She absolutely loves him and is a wonderful teacher. I just crack up when she and I talk b/c I've had tons of kids like that in my class as well as lived with my brother, who has ADD,for 33 years. When did your son start preschool? Zachary started in April...he turned 3 the end of March.

Eukee the Jumpy Jumpy Elephant is a great children's book. It's about an elephant with ADD and the related trials and tribulations. I know you can order it online from Barnes and Noble.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Sounds like a good teacher (or at least a brave teacher)!! Our #2 is also very energetic. He is fine if he gets a good 1-2 hours a day to runaround and burn off energy. When he was a toddler, I got him outside every day no matter what the weather was like. If it was raining, I bundled him up in slicker and boots, grabbed umbrellas, and took him and #1 puddle-stomping.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Matilda Enthusiast

VydorScope Proficient
That little cherub a handful though? I can't believe it!

If you had him for umm 15-20 mns you would sing a dif tune LOL

He is in his "I must test EVERTHING" stage now. :blink::huh:

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Vincent and Kristi

congrats on a great kid. as a teacher i always loved these kids as they always had a twinkle in their eyes and a bounce in their step..Loved them dearly and still hear from some after all these years.

judy

chrissy Collaborator

with those red curls----how can not help but want to let him get away with EVERYTHING!?

CarlaB Enthusiast

I can totally relate ... my active son is now 16 ... once he started growing hair on his legs, he wasn't nearly as hyper and doesn't get up with the sun anymore either!!

jenvan Collaborator

Sounds like he'll have a great teacher this year :)

Guest ~jules~

I hear you there, I have a VERY hyper 6 year old who just started kindergarten. I too love it when I see someone embrace him rather than be annoyed by him! :D:D:D It warms the heart thats for sure...

Ursa Major Collaborator

My second-oldest daughter was a 'wild little bumblebee', as I called her, when she was little, with wild curls and a mischivious little pixi face. She was ALWAYS in trouble, because she HAD to touch everything, and experiment. And I mean, she really had to, she couldn't help herself.

When she was a young teenager, often she'd come down after she had gone to bed already, proclaiming that she couldn't sleep, because her 'legs felt like running', so, she put on a coat and a pair of running shoes and ran around the block, and was able to sleep after that.

She is still very active, in fact, will go crazy without exercise. Which shouldn't be a problem with being the director of recreation (on maternity leave right now) in a school year-round outdoors camp.

If the energy is channelled into the right activities, it is not a problem, and medication is a travesty and a great disservice to those kids.

Hooray for Timmy for having a great teacher, who appreciates him just the way he is. I know from experience, that those kids aren't easy ones to handle (Karen would drive me up the wall sometimes, and yes, she was like that in the womb already, too). But hey, with a kid like that, life is definitely never boring! :D:P

prinsessa Contributor

That is great that someone understands kids with a lot of energy. My son (who is turning 3 in two weeks) is like that. He has to constantly jump and flip. I am going to start looking for a gymnastics class for him so he can get rid of some of his energy. His new trick is standing on his head on the couch. He looks so funny....I'm going to have to take a picture of him next time he does it.

Archived