Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tailz

Egg White Allergy

Just curious to know...

...if I'm allergic to egg whites, can I still eat the yolk? Do I rinse it?

Also, since I seem to be allergic to pretty much all grains and am thinking of trying buckwheat or tapioca, anybody have recipes for unleavened bread (allergen-free)? Olive oil seems to be the only oil I can use. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Guest alex j

My son is allergic to eggs (whites and yolks).

They normally tell you to just avoid the whole egg. Since whites are the part that are useful for gluten-free baking, maybe not such a great cost.

I think it depends on the severity of the allergy. If you think you may be at risk of a severe reaction, then you should avoid the whole thing since the yolk will carry traces of white.

If I was trying to separate them, I think the best way would be hard boiled. I think that if you try to do it raw, it will carry a very substantial amount of egg white.

Alex

I'm not allergic to eggs but I had the Enterolab test done for eggs and I'm intolerant. I wrote them and asked if I could at least eat the whites and they wrote back and said it's the protein in the whites that I'm intolerant to. I could eat the yolks if I can separate the egg. I cook, so that's not a problem if I want to eat them.

HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 8,6)

Antigliadin IgA 72

Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 49