Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

oats are fine---they do not contain gluten. the problem is that almost all oats are contaminated with gluten. some people react to oats, but then, some people react to corn and rice, too.

Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005

11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005

17 year old son with celiac gene

I just read an article by Scott Adams saying that all you have to do is rinse the oats in cold water if your worried about wheat dust contamination before cooking. duh. :blink: And here I am not eating oats all this time...Guess what I'm having for breakfast? :D

HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 8,6)

Antigliadin IgA 72

Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 49

I have a small amount of Oats in my diet, though I only eat Mccanns. I don't trust quaker at all, everything I've ever eaten of theirs made me sick before I discovered that they themselves say there is cross-contamination in thier products. Not even oats, thier grits and rice cakes, all made me really sick.

I don't eat oats every day, oatmeal maybe once a week, and then some homemade oatmeal cheesy crackers every now and then. I get my numbers checked every six months. So after the first six months ( no oats ) numbers are down and good. After the second six months, with some oats, numbers are still down and good.

So seems to be good.

But again, Quaker is evil. I wouldn't eat thier stuff if I was starving on an island, no matter how much you rinse it.

Elonwy

Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05

Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05

gluten-free since 7/23/05

Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

Quaker will state on one hand that some of thier products are gluten free by ingredient, but then will state that thier is gross cross-contamination in all of thier facilities and they can't garuntee gluten free for any of thier products. These kinds of mixed messages just tick me off. Especially since the first time I called them they said "oh yeah grits are gluten free" and then I get sick and call again and they say " due to the way we transport and process our grains, we can't garuntee any of our products are gluten free". So its one of those, it depends on who you talk to kind of policies, that seems to be solidifying towards the second answer finally, but is still just gross negligence if you ask me.

Thier official web statement is : Because oats are grown, stored, transported in bulk, they may contain trace amounts of wheat, rye and barley. USDA grain standards allow a certain percentage of other grains to be present in the oats. Therefore, gluten may be found in oats, even if very small amounts of these other grains are present.

Thier canadian policy is completely different.

I have recieved way too much wishy-washy BS from this company to trust them, and have gotten sick every single time I've eaten thier products.

That falls into "evil" for me.

Elonwy

Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

Guest nini

I react even to McCanns which is unfair because I used to LOVE oatmeal... the latest that I read was that the protein Avenin in Oats is similar to Gluten and is why some Celiacs react to it as well, but there wasn't any proof that it caused further damage, however, since oats in even a small quantity make me sick, I'm staying away from them. I may try them a few years from now when I feel I'm sufficiently healed and my immune system is no longer so hyper reactive.

Hmmm, I've read that too. I'll try them and see if my arthritis gets worse. That's my inidication of a reaction usually. Pain in my knee gets worse.

HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 8,6)

Antigliadin IgA 72

Thats why I keep getting my bloodwork done, to make sure I'm not reacting. ANd to make sure Gluten isn't sneaking in anywhere else.

Elonwy

Never felt better.

I have been eating the gluten-free oats daily for months now. No problem for me or the other three gluten-free in my family.The companies tell you to start out slowly and work your way up. I must admit I never thought I would miss oats but I was & I started with 1/2 cup uncooked oats a couple times a week for two weeks & now I eat them daily.

If you are one of the people who are super sensitive I probably would say don't eat them its not worth the sickness but if you are not super sensitive I would say try them...Each person's response is different to adding a new food.

main word from the gluten-free oats producers is::: GO SLOWLY......

I'm now able to make an oatmeal pie crust!!!!! I did miss that!!!!!

mamaw

That article on the study of 9 celiacs being reactive to oats is disappointing. They said that even one who seemed to be tolerating it was in fact not. I tried the glutenfree oats site and they are all sold out of oats until October.They aren't cheap. $10 for 2 lbs. With my luck, I'm probably the one in 250 that would react. <_<

HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 8,6)

Antigliadin IgA 72

Oats update: I tried McCanns Oatmeal last night. Delicious. I noticed my arthritis in my knee flared up today. I suspect that I'm sensitive to the protein in oats. :(

HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 8,6)

Antigliadin IgA 72

Does anyone know the latest information on eating oats?

As a matter of fact - thanks to the Celiac Conferece yesterday, I do! :D

Oats do not, of themselves, contain gluten. But because of the ways in which they are grown, they are often contaminated with wheat.

There are two different mfrs. in the US that carry gluten-free oats. I don't know their names off the top of my head, but if you do a search for gluten-free oats on the web, I'm sure you can find them.

However - the docs from yesterday said that a small percentage of celiacs (I don't recall the exact percentage number) have a celiac-like reaction even to gluten free oats, and they don't know what causes it, or if it is related to the celiac disease.

Also, I don't know about the rinsing off of oats - at the conference yesterday, the preseters said more than once that getting the gluten wet is what activates it, so I would think that rinsing the oats would make it worse. But I don't know for sure.