This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Starbucks Double Shot Espresso gluten-free?

LLatham

LLatham Apprentice

Can anyone tell me real quick if the Starbucks DoubleShot Espresso in the tall can you get in the supermarket is safe?

I was concerned because of the caramel coloring. Anyone here have them all the time? (please say yes, I need caffeine!)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Franceen Explorer

I get Tall Cafe Latte's in the airport Starbucks and have never had a problem (I even get the whipped cream when I get it "iced").

And CLAN THOMPSON List has them as Gluten Free (Cappucino too).

Go get caffeine.

mamaw Community Regular

sorry but I wouldn't buy anything Starbucks any more..... When they were asked to support the troops in Iraq with their coffee they refused until they started to see business go down the tubes . Then they said they would send it over. well the troops said no thank -you ----to late now.....

It wasn't about the war in Iraq, this was a gesture to let the troops who were called to do their job (like it or not)a friendly support that we care about them & are thinking of them. Many companies have sent food & HBA items to them. The soldiers greatly appreciate anything they get from home....

Texas Roadhouse for example has sent many pounds of peanuts over.

mamaw

CarlaB Enthusiast

I know the espresso in the store is fine, but I don't know about the cans. I believe all carmel coloring in the US is safe though.

sorry but I wouldn't buy anything Starbucks any more..... When they were asked to support the troops in Iraq with their coffee they refused until they started to see business go down the tubes . Then they said they would send it over. well the troops said no thank -you ----to late now.....

It wasn't about the war in Iraq, this was a gesture to let the troops who were called to do their job (like it or not)a friendly support that we care about them & are thinking of them. Many companies have sent food & HBA items to them. The soldiers greatly appreciate anything they get from home....

Texas Roadhouse for example has sent many pounds of peanuts over.

mamaw

THIS IS AN URBAN LEGEND. Google Starbucks, Iraq and you will see the true story.

mamaw Community Regular

carla

I have been supporting a group of 180 men & women in Iraq for over 9 months now, selling tons of stuff to them . The one thing they stated they would not drink is the Starbucks ... So I don't know which is correct but I got my info from an active source..... Every time I get an e-mail with wants & needs from them that is written boldly...so I don't know . I just will not send it because of what I get from the horse's mouth so to say......

mamaw

mouse Enthusiast

Urban legends get passed in emails to even Iraq soldiers. Most people do not know how to check for the truth of Urban legends. I just learned a few months ago. I get several emails each week that are false. I do not forward them, but the damage is continuing being done as the person who sent it to me, forwarded it on to many. It is a shame as some of them cause harm.

I would also like to know if the Starbucks Double Shot Espresso in the can is gluten-free. I could sure use that on some days to get me going.

nikki182 Rookie

The Starbucks double shots that come in the can are made by Pepsi, who says they are gluten free. The caramel coloring comes from corn. I haven't had one lately, but I drink the bottled frappucinos all the time. I would die if I had to give up my Starbucks!

BTW has anyone had problems with any Starbucks drinks made in the stores? Wondering if there's anything to steer clear of...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

Whenever you get an email with negative info about a person or company, take a couple words from that email along with the words "urban legend" and google. You will see whether it's true or false. Most of the time, they are false.

In the case of Starbucks, they traces where the rumor started and contacted that person directly. There actually was a misunderstanding behind it and a problem with corporate policy. Unfortunately, as mentioned before, the troops would read the same rumors we do!! Good for you Mamaw in supporting them, that's a very charitable and appreciated thing you're doing.

I have never had a problem with drinks in the store. They're all gluten-free except for the frapps that have chips in them. Be sure they wash the blender out carefully if you get a frapp so that you don't get chip residue. Also, I always order in the store to be sure the person getting my coffee isn't getting a danish, then touching my lid. I've asked for a new lid twice -- which isn't much considering how often I used to go there (now I'm off all but the most healthy foods till I get better).

olalisa Contributor

does anyone have the entire list of Starbucks safe drinks? I asked at our local starbucks this past weekend and the staff was clueless, so I just passed.....I didn't want plain coffee, I wanted FANCY coffee!

Guhlia Rising Star
does anyone have the entire list of Starbucks safe drinks? I asked at our local starbucks this past weekend and the staff was clueless, so I just passed.....I didn't want plain coffee, I wanted FANCY coffee!

This is their gluten statement from their FAQ's:

How do I get information about allergens, such as gluten and nuts, in Starbucks® products?

Because of the importance of accuracy on this issue, it is our policy to deal with questions about allergens on a product-by-product basis; please contact us directly with any specific allergen questions.

olalisa Contributor
This is their gluten statement from their FAQ's:

How do I get information about allergens, such as gluten and nuts, in Starbucks® products?

Because of the importance of accuracy on this issue, it is our policy to deal with questions about allergens on a product-by-product basis; please contact us directly with any specific allergen questions.

Thanks, Angie! I'll be contacting them :)

CarlaB Enthusiast

It's my understanding that all the drinks are gluten-free except for the frapps with chips. There was a lifelong celiac in the store I went to where we used to live, so I believe that info to be accurate. I also contacted the company months ago ... I look forward to hearing if it's still the same!

gfp Enthusiast
Whenever you get an email with negative info about a person or company, take a couple words from that email along with the words "urban legend" and google. You will see whether it's true or false. Most of the time, they are false.

In the case of Starbucks, they traces where the rumor started and contacted that person directly. There actually was a misunderstanding behind it and a problem with corporate policy. Unfortunately, as mentioned before, the troops would read the same rumors we do!! Good for you Mamaw in supporting them, that's a very charitable and appreciated thing you're doing.

I have never had a problem with drinks in the store. They're all gluten-free except for the frapps that have chips in them. Be sure they wash the blender out carefully if you get a frapp so that you don't get chip residue. Also, I always order in the store to be sure the person getting my coffee isn't getting a danish, then touching my lid. I've asked for a new lid twice -- which isn't much considering how often I used to go there (now I'm off all but the most healthy foods till I get better).

Well you can multiply this by 10 because anyone knows anyone serving in Iraq wiill forward it to them!

Personally I detest Starbucks largely due to their poor coffee and putting real cofffe places out of business and I boycott them for that but a 50th hand eMail is not a good reason!

Indeed, please patronise them in the US and get them to realise that we don't want them and they can make more money at home... please ..... ;)

Another valid point is that by sending items to Iraq they are supporting the war... I would be the first to say that the soldiers who are just doing their job shouldn't be the ones held up to randsom over this but your government got them into it so perhaps ... it is up to them to send them decent items from home.

I say this in the spirit that yes these are your boys and some girls but the life of the average Iraqi has spiralled to the point where for many their idea of a luxury item is clean drinking water or anitbiotics (last study over 100,000 extra Iraqi's had died ;largely from lack of drinking water and basica medical items as a direct result of the war).... and yes I realise that many of the troops do share what they get with some local people and they are not all war mongering monsters but hey shouldn't the pentagon be sending the packages?

CarlaB Enthusiast

Steve, you live in Europe, of course you don't like Starbucks! The US is the only country on the planet it seems that has no clue as to what a good cup of coffee is!!! <_< I much preferred the coffee I drank as an exchange student in Mexico and that I drank in Italy -- but here, Starbucks is about the best we've got!! :P It's even managed to improve the coffee at gas stations and places like McDonalds!

nikki182 Rookie

I've also been told all the drinks are ok except the frapps with chips. I seem to be fine after having their drinks, but I also always wonder about cross contamination issues. I haven't been doing the diet for all that long, so I might not be as sensitive to traces of gluten.

Personally, I feel fine about supporting Starbucks because of their use of recycled materials and their willingness to start using alternative energy sources. If I lived in Europe, I'd probably be disgusted with them, but as an American I am happy to see that they are at least making an effort, which is more than can be said for most companies. Starbucks has plenty of room for improvement but I think they are heading in the right direction. BTW how come they don't offer real mugs to customers who aren't taking their drinks to go? Whenever I say I am staying they give me real plates and silverware for the food (well in my pre-gluten-free days when I ate their food at least...)

mellajane Explorer

I work at Starbucks and have for the past five years. Urban legend is right . Im not completely offended that rumor got started.. Starbucks would never make a statement about war like that.They are a very diverse company and very tight knit company... Its like you either love Starbucks or you Hate Starbucks... Im very paasionate about my job.

On a lighter note...I have checked out almost all of our products and the ones you have to look out for are the frapps, juice blend frapps, any pasrties of course. I drink a toffenut white mocha every day. Next time you should seriously ask the person working to read the ingredients.. All of their products state allergy info. Even if it is made on equipment that is contaminated. Ive tried pretty much every drink at Starbucks and my co workers are awesome when it comes to my allergy they look out for me big time. (So we read everything)

Can anyone tell me real quick if the Starbucks DoubleShot Espresso in the tall can you get in the supermarket is safe?

I was concerned because of the caramel coloring. Anyone here have them all the time? (please say yes, I need caffeine!)

mamaw Community Regular

I again would like to add my thoughts to some of the statements.

First I agree that maybe someone could have started this rumor. But from my standpoint I did start supporting the troops in honor of my deceased marine father. I have sent close to & now maybe over 1000 pounds of goodies to Iraq, and at about buck a pound to send I decided along with them saying no Starbucks that I was not going to waste my cash to send the coffee.I have used my own monies to do this so I have invested just about $1000.00 in my effort. I'm not bragging nor complaining I chose to do this. I feel I have been given so much in my life & I needed to give back alittle of the love I have received from my creator. I also once a year support a charity usually animals or Voice..... I do this in a quiet way because I don't do it for fame or glory.I just didn't want to waste my bucks on something maybe they would throw away..... call me cheap!!!!

Next I support the soldiers - that doesn't neccessary mean I support the Iraq war....to me it is two different things. I feel these soldiers are my bothers& sisters in Christ and they are in a far away .unsettled land. Yes, some not wantng to be there & others willing to die for their country. If in some small way I can put a smile on their faces with some item I feel I have done good. And yes, the goverment does give them things but in the front lines it alway does not make it to there and shortages right or wrong happen. It's a war. I will tell you a brief note I received from a male soldier... it said "thank you for sending tampax to us, you are a lifesaver"I thought about this & it being from a soldier(male), I didn't get it so I asked my husband who served in Viet Nam, he didn't know either. So I asked bout this message from the male soldier. He said they all carry a tampax in their shirt pocket because if one gets shot they can plug the bullet hole and halt the excessive bleeding until they can get to a triage. After that I send everything I can think of because it appears they find uses for it!!!!!!!!When I think about this it makes sense, as the soldier stated "its just a different cavity" My kids school has brought many a smile, tear and so on to these heros by drawing & writing letters to the soldiers. It seems small but it has a great impact for them. I will say in closing I am very proud of our soldiers and love my country. It may not be perfect but it still is one of the best places in the world to live..... peace to all

mamaw

gfp Enthusiast
Next I support the soldiers - that doesn't neccessary mean I support the Iraq war....to me it is two different things.

Of course, let me qualify because I wasn't going to add the postscript and it came out worse than I meant when I tagged it on the end.

What I mean is that should be your decision. It shouldn't be up to either of us for judging someone over whether they are sending packages or not. Whatever the rights and wrongs of this war it is not a situation of "clear and present danger", its elective so I don't see why a companies choice of supporting or not supporting should matter, its an an individual and personal decision, even if that person is a corporation and I really don't see it as a clear cut patriot or traitor situation. I'm not in anyway saying you shouldn't do as you see fit but I don't think its so simple that people should judge a company or individual for supporting or not supporting or for divorcing supporting the troops from the war or not.

Steve, you live in Europe, of course you don't like Starbucks! The US is the only country on the planet it seems that has no clue as to what a good cup of coffee is!!! <_< I much preferred the coffee I drank as an exchange student in Mexico and that I drank in Italy -- but here, Starbucks is about the best we've got!! :P It's even managed to improve the coffee at gas stations and places like McDonalds!

Well here's the thing, obviously Paris has a decent coffee reputation but London has/had a terrible one. Before the Starbucks craze London had very few decent coffee shops and those it had were largely immigrant families runing a family business. However once coffee started taking off in London we started to get increasing decent coffee places which is right when Starbucks stepped in and took over the market effectively killing the developing coffee market and replacing the family businesses.

My real problem though is that Starbucks have managed to make a business out of selling the cheapest nastiest coffee (which is also worse for you). Any coffee officianado will tell you there are two types of bean, arabica and robusta and that arabica is much harder to grow because it has far less caffine.

A good coffee is 100% arabica but even some Italian coffee's (cheapest) have up to 25% robusta.

After this officianado's argue over the specific blends but the absolute 1st thing for coffee is the type of bean. Starbucks manage to come up with lots of fancy names for their specific blends and don't ever mention the single most important fact... the bean.

Every analysis shows starbucks to be the highest caffine so it seems they only use robusta, the bitter high caffine variety and it is the fact they managed to prevent most people realising this that I think is bad! I can speak for London and say that largely the present reason London has such bad coffee and low expecations is due to Starbucks and I think the US is largely the same. The coffee business would have eventually led to decent coffee had it not been for market dominance of companies like starbucks selling the cheapest coffee more efficiently.

mellajane Explorer

For coffee drinkers that are actually interested in Starbucks beans know the quality of bean that Starbucks carries.(Caffenie is an addiction anyway any addiction is bad for you.)Starbucks takes coffee beans from a variety of farmers around the world and customizes their coffees. Yes if you want a coffee that is made from a pure Arabia bean you will pay more.This is where Starbucks took an idea and ran with it. There coffee is more expensive than most in grocery stores but I beleive you get what you pay for. Starbucks customers know this as well. If helping a wide variety of farmers is what is considerd efficient; I dont see it as such a bad thing.This would be no worse than somewhere like folgers taking beans at a very low price and stretching the quality out to make a not so exspensive coffee. If you go into a Starbucks and ask a employee about selections of coffee hopefully they will be knowledgeable about their beans. It sounds funny but at Starbucks there is a whole world of knowledge on coffee beans there. Starbucks being shunned for helping coffee farmers buy buying their beans at a higher price than other companies does not sound like they are stepping on toes to me.( such as Fair Trade)If you were a farmer wouldnt you take the best offer on your beans...Before I worked for Starbucks I would have never probably been a customer there. Now being with the company 5 years and highly respect Starbucks and support all that they do. For people to bash their ethics, values and motivation to me is just uninformed.I really dont want to come off harsh.. But I am passonate when it comes to what it is we can do for other people Starbucks is one of those companies I am very proud to be a part of. Everyday I can count on seeing someone very happy that they can rely on us to provide them with something so little as a cup of coffee. That feeling there and the fact that Starbucks is all about their employees is what has kept me there so long.

Of course, let me qualify because I wasn't going to add the postscript and it came out worse than I meant when I tagged it on the end.

What I mean is that should be your decision. It shouldn't be up to either of us for judging someone over whether they are sending packages or not. Whatever the rights and wrongs of this war it is not a situation of "clear and present danger", its elective so I don't see why a companies choice of supporting or not supporting should matter, its an an individual and personal decision, even if that person is a corporation and I really don't see it as a clear cut patriot or traitor situation. I'm not in anyway saying you shouldn't do as you see fit but I don't think its so simple that people should judge a company or individual for supporting or not supporting or for divorcing supporting the troops from the war or not.

Well here's the thing, obviously Paris has a decent coffee reputation but London has/had a terrible one. Before the Starbucks craze London had very few decent coffee shops and those it had were largely immigrant families runing a family business. However once coffee started taking off in London we started to get increasing decent coffee places which is right when Starbucks stepped in and took over the market effectively killing the developing coffee market and replacing the family businesses.

My real problem though is that Starbucks have managed to make a business out of selling the cheapest nastiest coffee (which is also worse for you). Any coffee officianado will tell you there are two types of bean, arabica and robusta and that arabica is much harder to grow because it has far less caffine.

A good coffee is 100% arabica but even some Italian coffee's (cheapest) have up to 25% robusta.

After this officianado's argue over the specific blends but the absolute 1st thing for coffee is the type of bean. Starbucks manage to come up with lots of fancy names for their specific blends and don't ever mention the single most important fact... the bean.

Every analysis shows starbucks to be the highest caffine so it seems they only use robusta, the bitter high caffine variety and it is the fact they managed to prevent most people realising this that I think is bad! I can speak for London and say that largely the present reason London has such bad coffee and low expecations is due to Starbucks and I think the US is largely the same. The coffee business would have eventually led to decent coffee had it not been for market dominance of companies like starbucks selling the cheapest coffee more efficiently.

CarlaB Enthusiast
I can speak for London and say that largely the present reason London has such bad coffee and low expecations is due to Starbucks and I think the US is largely the same. The coffee business would have eventually led to decent coffee had it not been for market dominance of companies like starbucks selling the cheapest coffee more efficiently.

I don't agree. McDonald's previously was about the best coffee around, sadly enough! Starbucks even forced McDonald's into better coffee. Coffee was always about the same anywhere I went ... except for a few bagel shops that started serving flavored coffees.

Archived