Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

floridanative

Cashiers Nc

In case anyone goes there for vacation (perfectly lovely in the Fall) I found two places to feed us safe gluten free meals. We only had to dine out once so I only tried one place but it provided me with one of my best meals out in months. Gourmet all the way but it was hysterical as it's in a 'dry' county so they actually list their service fee for serving your own booze as 'brown bagging fee'. We took our own wine which went perfectly with our goat cheese/chive app. with sundried tomatos and various olives. It came with bread (on the side) so I used my own Schar crackers with it and it was to die for delish! Rest of party said the bread was nothing special but obviously I can't attest to that. My meal did not even have to be modified in any way, it was all gluten free. The Chef is very knowledgeable about gluten and everything is made from natural, fresh ingredients, so no mystery components to cause a problem. The place - The Orchard - do not miss it if you're ever in town. $66 for two including 1 bb fee, tip extra.

Dx'd with anemia - March 2005

Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005

Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006

Gluten free since 1-23-06

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

In case anyone goes there for vacation (perfectly lovely in the Fall) I found two places to feed us safe gluten free meals. We only had to dine out once so I only tried one place but it provided me with one of my best meals out in months. Gourmet all the way but it was hysterical as it's in a 'dry' county so they actually list their service fee for serving your own booze as 'brown bagging fee'. We took our own wine which went perfectly with our goat cheese/chive app. with sundried tomatos and various olives. It came with bread (on the side) so I used my own Schar crackers with it and it was to die for delish! Rest of party said the bread was nothing special but obviously I can't attest to that. My meal did not even have to be modified in any way, it was all gluten free. The Chef is very knowledgeable about gluten and everything is made from natural, fresh ingredients, so no mystery components to cause a problem. The place - The Orchard - do not miss it if you're ever in town. $66 for two including 1 bb fee, tip extra.

I am going to have to look this place up on mapquest! I usually go to hotsprings, nc for my minivacations, but I've only eaten out once (the cabins are fully equipped).

Thanks for the tip!

-Courtney

Courtney - 25

Columbia, SC

Gluten-free since July 8, 2006

Casein-free since October 16, 2006

Went six weeks, and fell back into a deliciously painful world of cheese.

Casein-free (again and for serious this time) December 11, 2006

Stupid cheese addiction....2/07

Dx Hypothyroid in 1993

Dx Gluten & Casein Sensitive through Enterolab 10/06

Dx Adrenal *Exhaustion* 2/07

Originally from WI, I am still in denial over my newfound casein intolerance. I fear I will not be allowed back into the state if I can no longer eat cheese and drink milk. This could pose some trouble over holidays when I wish to visit my family. It also poses a problem involving the severe rage I feel when I have to throw away somebody's unfinished cheese sticks. That is so wrong.

Yes - we were in an cabin with full kitchen too, hence we only ate out one night. If you go to Cashiers, the other place I researched is called Cornucopia which apparently serves lunch as well as dinner and it's down the street from The Ochard. I can not vouch for them though since we didn't get around to eating there. Also, there is nothing much to do in Cashiers so the shopping (if you're so inclined) is best in Highlands which was on the way to Cashiers for us. It's only about 10 miles between the two places but with the windy roads, it's almost a 30 minute drive.

Dx'd with anemia - March 2005

Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005

Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006

Gluten free since 1-23-06

If you go down the mtn to Sylva and then go into Dillsboro there are some cute shops there for shopping.

If you go down the other side of the mtn there are some cute shops in Brevard.

If you're looking for shopping, shopping...you gotta go to Asheville!

Great hiking there too....:)

~Turtle~