This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rise In Celiacs Or More Awareness?

up-late

up-late Rookie

Is there anything out there on what causes Celiacs or why it is becoming so common? Is it possible it's been around for a long time and we just didn't know what it was?

My uncle on my dads side died as a child from "disentry" (my dad is the genetic link with celiacs) could he have had it and they just didn't know?

I found a site recently that said celiacs was one of the undesclosed side effects of new medications taken for depression and athritis, the site was a legal one starting class action against the pharm company who manufactured them, I have taken almost all the ones the stated as causing it as well as manifesting other side effects mentioned on the site. Could it be the excessive perscription culture, negligent pharm companies or GM, pesticides and overprocessing of our food coupled with profit driven companies that is responsible or has it been around longer and we just did not know about it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jayhawkmom Enthusiast
Is it possible it's been around for a long time and we just didn't know what it was?

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!

Heck, some doctors STILL don't know what it is. Once they "get a clue" and start learning how to recognise and diagnose, more people will be able to get a diagnosis and save themselves years of problems!

Guest nini

It's been around for a long time, it's still unbelievably undiagnosed and misdiagnosed entirely too often.

sure the other factors may serve to either trigger the onset or aggravate symtoms but I doubt seriously that any of the factors you mentioned could CAUSE celiac.

AndreaB Contributor

If you read any of Dogtor J's stuff, he has done a lot of research and says that dysentry is really celiac. It poses the same symptoms. His site is Open Original Shared Link. I believe the article is "The Answer". It is very long but the part about dysentry is within the first 12 pages I believe of the part of the article called "Why is the Plane of our Health in a Death Spiral?".

Very interesting reading as you have time. I'm only about 1/2 way through that big article so far. :P

gfp Enthusiast

I think its a whole combination, simply by saying its very very rare stopped diagnosis of many...

Also because of the way foods are manufactured today its impossible to miss it out.

When I lived in Africa I was mostly gluten-free because 99% of what I ate was fresh fruit, meat and veg so I only got gluten in large doses... so if you stop eating bread and pasta for a week in an environment like that you notice wheras if you try gluten free in the West today ytou are not gluten-free because of all the hidden gluten so this makes it even more evasive. This is not even including pharmacuticals containing gluten !!

Saz Explorer

Hey there.

There does seem to be many more people with allergies. I don't think that all people who don't eat wheat are celiac though. I have heard of people who while they don't have anything diagnosed, say that they just don't feel "right" if they eat a lot of bread etc.

In regards to "triggers. " My understanding is that if you are 20 and are diagnosed as celiac, you have had it all of your life, the symptoms just may not have shown up before now.

I would be interested to know what exactely causes it in the first place, there is no history of it in family.

up-late Rookie

The Dogtorj article made a lot of sense, just skimming through it I noticed the exact things I was thinking about, it just made sense.

I've been worried about what the big companies have been doing to our food for some time. My grandmother couldn't buy seed that would regenerate with the next crop. A family friend had an orchard and Coles told him what to grow, he had to graft their (Monsanto had a hand in this) strains into his crops or they wouldn't buy them, he could not guarantee his crops would not be cross pollinated tainting both his organic crop and their bogus crop, then they used a propoganda campaign to claim the new strains were the only ones suitable for commercial comsumption, imagine that centuries of hortoculture wiped away in one foul sweep by a multi national, of course their product is nutritionally inferior and tastes like it's been sitting in the back of my feezer for 10 years but hey it has a higher yeild. The farmers here are still at war with the compaines who want to introduce GM canola siteing that even if they don't grow it cross contamination from GM crops in the area will destroy their crop, the companies have even come under suspicion for releasing GM crop and growing it under the disguse of the real thing in order to do just that. It's a serious problem, what happens if all our natural crops end up being wiped out and then we have no choice but to eat food that will harm us?

With the tastelss food, packaging and processing I wonder how like it will be before we are mimicking bad 70's sci-fi popping steak and three veg pills instead of eating real food.

I'm getting off topic here :wacko: but I wonder if they can get away with doing that, what else has slipped by.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfp Enthusiast
The Dogtorj article made a lot of sense, just skimming through it I noticed the exact things I was thinking about, it just made sense.

I've been worried about what the big companies have been doing to our food for some time. My grandmother couldn't buy seed that would regenerate with the next crop. A family friend had an orchard and Coles told him what to grow, he had to graft their (Monsanto had a hand in this) strains into his crops or they wouldn't buy them, he could not guarantee his crops would not be cross pollinated tainting both his organic crop and their bogus crop, then they used a propoganda campaign to claim the new strains were the only ones suitable for commercial comsumption, imagine that centuries of hortoculture wiped away in one foul sweep by a multi national, of course their product is nutritionally inferior and tastes like it's been sitting in the back of my feezer for 10 years but hey it has a higher yeild. The farmers here are still at war with the compaines who want to introduce GM canola siteing that even if they don't grow it cross contamination from GM crops in the area will destroy their crop, the companies have even come under suspicion for releasing GM crop and growing it under the disguse of the real thing in order to do just that. It's a serious problem, what happens if all our natural crops end up being wiped out and then we have no choice but to eat food that will harm us?

With the tastelss food, packaging and processing I wonder how like it will be before we are mimicking bad 70's sci-fi popping steak and three veg pills instead of eating real food.

I'm getting off topic here :wacko: but I wonder if they can get away with doing that, what else has slipped by.

I think its pretty much endemic and pervasive to the point that most people never read a label, let alone wonder what they are eating.

Before diagnosis I was firmly in the "a few additives can't hurt" camp. Just having to read labels made me aware just how much additives are in food but it goes way beyond this. Food has become a battle to sell the lowest quality products cheaper than anyone else. Its over abundance in Europe/US has stopped us appreciating it as a 'luxury' item and reduced it to for many people an inconvenience.

I recently posted that most "fresh" fruit is kept in biologically sterile cold stores and sprayed with many things (including candida) just to keep it in a place it can be distributed in the most efficient way but this isn't isolated, the whole food industry is based on putting things in tins and packets and adding chemical preservatives because it saves cents on distribution over fresh produce.

par18 Apprentice
Is there anything out there on what causes Celiacs or why it is becoming so common? Is it possible it's been around for a long time and we just didn't know what it was?

My uncle on my dads side died as a child from "disentry" (my dad is the genetic link with celiacs) could he have had it and they just didn't know?

I found a site recently that said celiacs was one of the undesclosed side effects of new medications taken for depression and athritis, the site was a legal one starting class action against the pharm company who manufactured them, I have taken almost all the ones the stated as causing it as well as manifesting other side effects mentioned on the site. Could it be the excessive perscription culture, negligent pharm companies or GM, pesticides and overprocessing of our food coupled with profit driven companies that is responsible or has it been around longer and we just did not know about it?

I think Celiac has probably been around as long as gluten. There is more awareness now but not as much as should be. The fact that so many people take prescription drugs for just about everything make it difficult to determine just how many people may be affected. It appears a large segment of the population either cannot or will not cook meals at home so that would make it difficult to determine which food items individual persons cannot tolerate. What I would like to see is some type of facility that a person could go to for a brief stay and just have the diet altered to find out if health issues were related to what someone is eating. Most of the diet type places I have heard of are only for persons to lose weight. This could be some type of "diet elimination" center in which diet is the "only" treatment. Probably could not get an endorsement from the drug companies or fast food industry though. Would only need a doctor onsite in case someone has an allergic reaction to a food. There would not be any more risk than if someone ate something at home they did not know affected them and had to go to the ER. Might also be a lot cheaper than having to go somewhere like the Mayo Clinic to find out the same thing. Then places like the Mayo Clinic could be used for people who really needed it. Just a thought.

Tom

marciab Enthusiast
What I would like to see is some type of facility that a person could go to for a brief stay and just have the diet altered to find out if health issues were related to what someone is eating. Most of the diet type places I have heard of are only for persons to lose weight. This could be some type of "diet elimination" center in which diet is the "only" treatment. Probably could not get an endorsement from the drug companies or fast food industry though. Would only need a doctor onsite in case someone has an allergic reaction to a food. There would not be any more risk than if someone ate something at home they did not know affected them and had to go to the ER. Might also be a lot cheaper than having to go somewhere like the Mayo Clinic to find out the same thing. Then places like the Mayo Clinic could be used for people who really needed it. Just a thought.

Tom

I was thinking the same thing. I would love to be able to do this for those who are too sick to try this on their own. Think we can get the NIH to sponsor it ?? ;)

Archived