This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celebration!

schuyler

schuyler Apprentice

The boys had a drs appt today, and we got good news.

Sean (2 years old) had gained 3 lbs, and now weighs 22 lbs and is 33 inches tall :D !!!! He now outweighs Matthew (who is 3). Matty still weigh's 19.5 lbs, but he has grown 1/5 of an inch. The doc said that's good news because it means he's getting more nutrients.

Nicolas hasn't grown or gained any weight, but he's much happier most of the time. He even made his first friend at school. I'm so proud of him (and the other boys).

The doctor was so impressed with their postitve results that he is going to write a letter to the judge stating that their father is endangering their well being by feeding the gluten during his visitations (although their dad hasn't been taking them for visitations lately because he says he's too busy to see them).

We go to court next week, so hopefully everything will go well.

Even more great news is that the boy's mom will be coming home from Iraq on October 7, which is 1 month sooner than expected. :D:D

We are celebrating everything by having gluten-free/df cake tonight for dessert! :P:P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

Congratulations!! What wonderful wonderful news!!!!!!

Ursa Major Collaborator

Wow, what great news! That certainly is reason for celebration.

Luvs to Scrap Apprentice

What wonderful news! I am so glad the boys are responding to the diet and that their mom is coming home next month. Keep up the great work! :D Kendra

Becky6 Enthusiast

That is great!!!

• 2 weeks later...
schuyler Apprentice

Court went great!

My parents were given custody (which is what we wanted, since I'm really busy). Since I still live at home, I see them all the time and the boys don't know that anything is different.

Their dad was ordered to fully reimburse me for all of the kids expenses, so I should get the $ soon.

The best part is that his visitations were reduced to supervised vitits one day a week for 3 hours. The 4 year old is so happy that he doesn't have to see his dad all the time. I wonder why ;)

The boys have not gained any weight recently, but some of their other symptoms have disappeared. No more bed wetting and night terrors!

My mom may be popping on here at times to ask questions. She's familliar with celiac, but she's having a hard time finding kid friendly gluten-free recipes.

On a sad note, the boys mom was injured in Iraq and has been sent to a hospital in Germany (I believe). She's unstable right now, so they will be keeping her there for at least a few weeks, after that she'll go to a hospital in the US until she's completely better. If all goes well, hopefully she'll be home in a few months.

Guest nini

sorry to hear about their mom, I hope she's ok soon and get's to come home soon.

good news about court...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaB Contributor

Danielle,

That's great news about the boys growth, your parents getting custody, reduced visits from their father.

I'm sorry about their mother getting hurt. Please keep us posted, I'm sure she'll be glad to be back stateside in a couple weeks/months.

jerseyangel Proficient

Danielle,

Thamks for the update! I'm so happy that the boys will remain with you and your parents :)

Sorry about their mom--she's your cousin, right? Hope her injuries aren't very serious, and that she'll be able to come home. Keep us posted!

schuyler Apprentice

Their mom (my cousin) is doing well. Her injuries are not nearly as severe as the doctors first thought (she just has a punctured lung, broken leg bones, and minor internal bleeding which stopped right away). They are weaning her off of the vent, and she is awake and responsive. Her parents are with her now, and they said it does not appear like she has any brain damage. They are hoping to move her stateside sometime next week :D .

Sean (2 years old) has had a HUGE breakthough recently. He started talking! Prior to going gluten-free, he had not spoken or attempted to speak at all (he just grunted or used simple signs before). Well, last week he walked into my room, pointed the light, said "light" and then smiled and ran away. He now points out every light he sees :D . He has also started to babble and yesterday he said "Hi Dani" as clear as day when I picked him up from pre-school. I am so proud of him! B)

Ursa Major Collaborator

That's excellent news about the boy's mother. I am so glad she is going to be alright. And you must be thrilled with the little guy starting to talk, that's great progress!

lonewolf Collaborator

It's great that the boys are doing well. I will say a little prayer for your cousin, that she can come home to them soon.

You are an amazing young woman to take care of these kids, even with your parents' help, and to be so attentive to their needs. You deserve a medal!

jerseyangel Proficient

Thanks for letting us know about the boys' mom! Hope she continues to improve :)

Great news about Sean :D Pretty soon, he'll be talking up a storm!

AndreaB Contributor

Great news Danielle, on all counts!

TCA Contributor

I'm praising God right now for ALL the good news. Please keep us posted. Is there anything we can do to help? The burden is heavy for all of you right now!

Archived