This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Calling All Dental Assistants (or Dentists)

floridanative

floridanative Community Regular

For many reasons I have a new dentist and though I was not happy my root canal took more than one trip, all and all I like this guy better than that last. As I had this small cut/cavity in the top of my upper tooth (#14) he said he could just put some type of filling material on it and not drill and I say fine. He did that yesterday and it did not help at all, still hot/cold sensitive, pain, etc. So I had to go back in today and they do something else (can't remember but the word sort of sounded like glue something) and I'll know soon if that worked or not. The dentist didn't do the treatment today, his asst. did. Okay here is what I need some informed advice about. The dentist came in and said he hoped this other treatment works since the next step is a root canal.........since I had the exact same issue on the other side of my mouth, two years ago, which was taken care of with a normal composite filling - I was shocked by his suggesting a root canal. Nicely I asked why he couldn't just do what the other dentist did and he explained that he never does that type of filling and would not do something to a patient that he would not do to his own mother. He said the other dentist in effect, put bondo on my other tooth and down the road it would cause more problems that it fixed temporarily. The tooth is question has a cut in it at the gum line and the other guy just bore out the area with a drill and filled it. It has not given me any trouble since. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about and which dentist might be right about how to fix such a cavity? I'm about to stop going to the dentist all together I'm so sick of this crap.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master

Sounds like what he did was what my dentist calls "bonding". In my case, he has done this on several occasions when I complained about sensitivity. In my case, the problem has been a receding gum line which exposes some of the roots of the teeth, where there isn't much insulation around the nerve and hense, heat/cold sensitivity. It has worked well for me - sometimes.

Steve

floridanative Community Regular
Sounds like what he did was what my dentist calls "bonding". In my case, he has done this on several occasions when I complained about sensitivity. In my case, the problem has been a receding gum line which exposes some of the roots of the teeth, where there isn't much insulation around the nerve and hense, heat/cold sensitivity. It has worked well for me - sometimes.

Steve

That is exactly what my old dentist did and it worked fine and I'm not about to have another root canal right now (had one last month). Looks like I may end up with yet another new dentist soon....have to wait until Jan. as I have no time to start over now. My old dentist did not push a lot of uneeded work on us and now this one seems to be doing just that. He sold my DH a tube of $30 toothpaste.......I seriously doubt anyone needs a $30 toothpaste but we'll see if it helps I guess.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
For many reasons I have a new dentist and though I was not happy my root canal took more than one trip, all and all I like this guy better than that last. As I had this small cut/cavity in the top of my upper tooth (#14) he said he could just put some type of filling material on it and not drill and I say fine. He did that yesterday and it did not help at all, still hot/cold sensitive, pain, etc. So I had to go back in today and they do something else (can't remember but the word sort of sounded like glue something) and I'll know soon if that worked or not. The dentist didn't do the treatment today, his asst. did. Okay here is what I need some informed advice about. The dentist came in and said he hoped this other treatment works since the next step is a root canal.........since I had the exact same issue on the other side of my mouth, two years ago, which was taken care of with a normal composite filling - I was shocked by his suggesting a root canal. Nicely I asked why he couldn't just do what the other dentist did and he explained that he never does that type of filling and would not do something to a patient that he would not do to his own mother. He said the other dentist in effect, put bondo on my other tooth and down the road it would cause more problems that it fixed temporarily. The tooth is question has a cut in it at the gum line and the other guy just bore out the area with a drill and filled it. It has not given me any trouble since. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about and which dentist might be right about how to fix such a cavity? I'm about to stop going to the dentist all together I'm so sick of this crap.

Ususally a root canal is done when the pulp of the tooth has been exposed and is infected. I don't know if this is the case here or if there are other reasons for doing it. Have you considered getting another opinion from another dentist on this? I think I might. When they remove the pulp the tooth essentially is now dead. It will eventually become weak and might change to an unpleasent grayish color. How is the other tooth that had the same problem holding up?

Generic Apprentice

I had the bondo thing done first and it didnt adhere well. My dentist had to do a root canal and filled it in. So he said a few years down the road I would have to crown it. But in the mean time I don't have the extra cash to do a crown so....at least he was understanding.

Archived