This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omega 3

SandraB

SandraB Newbie

Interesting post on Omega 3s. I have been reading a new book on feeding children by Dr Alex Richardson "They are what you feed them". Not about celiac disease, but general nutrition. She is an Oxford University expert on Omega 3 oils and their effects - all the research at v early stages though. You need a variety of other vitamins and minerals to use the Omega 3s properly in your brain, and it looks as though these are also vitamins and minerals which celiacs tend to lack. Could this be part of the reason why we gluten intolerants suffer brain fog? Could there be a link here to Alzheimers which is also associated with celiac disease? Anyone out there tried Omega 3 supplements, or taken up fish eating and noticed an effect?

She says "the dry mass of your brain is..60 per cent fat...the type of fat in your diet can affect the way your brain works" (or the type of fat your body can absorb I assume) " Fats can influence almost all celular functions..some can even regulate your genes." We need Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acids (HUFAs). The brain needs HUFAs. I quote Dr Richardson:"Many diet and lifestyle factors can reduce the conversion of Essential Fatty Acids to HUFAs, including poor diets" (or malabsorbtion I assume). "These include vitamins B1, B3, B6, Vit C, zinc, magnesium and manganese." Well, B vits and magnesium I think are well known to be a problem for celiaccs. Women can make their own HUFAs from diet better than guys, maybe (my guess) because they create babies inside themselves. Guys pretty much have to eat fish. Omega 3s also keep the heart and other vital organs AND THE IMMUNE SYSTEM functioning properly she says. Hmmm. Some part being played here in the auto-immune process? Maybe some link to celliac tendency to other auto immune disorders, being discussed elsewhere on this forum?

Also possible links to ADD, ADHD, high-functioning autism.

Anyone any thoughts, any experience of taking Omega 3s plus the other supplements and getting any interesting results? I'm interested in the immune system especially, since my brother has cancer of the immune system - Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia. Which is more common in guys, incidentally.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master

I take an omega 3 fish oil supplement (Costco brand). I can't say I've noticed any definite benefits but I think a lot of those things are suttle and prophylactic. My reason for thaking them is cardio-vascular health benefit. I am a 55 year old male and still able to exercise vigorously without chest pain or shortness of breath. I do struggle some with brain fog but I'm not sure if that's directly related to celiac disease. I tend to think the main culprit is chronic sleep deficiency as I don't sleep soundly very often, like I did when I was younger. My job as a hospital chaplain also puts me on call 1-2 nights a week and sometimes I get called in during the wee hours.

Oh, and I also use flax meal in my buckwheat hot serial every morning, another good source of omega 3.

Steve

Guest nini

at my follow up Dr. appt. yesterday, she said she wants me to start taking Omega 3's... she seems to think it will help my fibromyalgia symptoms. I bought a bottle of them, but am freaked because it's made with the oils from anchovies! YUCK! (just a little scared to start taking them)

Guest cassidy

I eat hemp seeds which have omega 3 & 6. I can't say that I have found a specific result, but from what I have read it is good to take. I like being able to get them from a vegetarian food source and not a food.

marciab Enthusiast

There is a lot of info on the web about omegas, nutrients and the brain. See mindscience.org. or Google brain nutrients.

I have much less brain fog nowadays. But, part of my problem was hypoglycemia. And I am extra sensitive to all processed grains.

I don't take any supplements because I can't digest them. If you do, be sure to read the ingredients. The last bottle I researched, thinking I would try it, only mentioned fish on the front, but clearly listed soy as one of the ingredients. It was called tocopheral. (sp?)

I just pour EVOO, flax oil, grapeseed oil, borage oil, etc right onto whatever I am eating. EVOO and salt are really good on a baked potato instead of butter. I rotate these to get the most from them.

Oils with omegas are anti inflamatory and I feel like my esophagus needs that too. My esophagus and throat feel raw a lot. These help regulate your bowels too. :)

Marcia

TERESE Rookie

I've been take Omegas for over a year now. I can't really tell if they have done anything but I do think most people need them. The one my Holistic Dr. has me take is Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega. Some of us with tummy troubles have problems with burping and at least these are lemon flavored.

Nothing like the taste of dead fish :blink:

mamaw Community Regular

Dr Maroon of UPMC in Pittsburgh,Pa reccomends Nordic naturals Pro_EPA1000mg.He claims it is the best from his research...... I have switched to these... I order them from Ecology Health in Calif. They have the better price & no shipping if 3 bottles are ordered.....

Dr.Maroon is the doctor of the Pittsburgh Steelers and he says the team takes these daily..........

mamaw

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lindalee Enthusiast

I take fish oil capsules and eat anchovies as well as other fish. I just recently started the anchovies for the omega 3 benefit =now I really like them. Get them at Costco. The only recipe I have is on a salad. Does anyone have any good recipes for them?? They are good for dry eyes, inflamation,etc.

Nini, I used to not like anchovies also. Love them now. :)

Guest nini

Nordic Naturals is the brand I got. The guy in the supplement dept. at the Health Food Store said these were the best.

Still not crazy about the idea of burping up fish oil though!

aaascr Apprentice

Since I can't eat fish (allergy)

I use Hemp Seed and Flaxseed -

for the omega 3's - but also for

protein.

dionnek Enthusiast
I've been take Omegas for over a year now. I can't really tell if they have done anything but I do think most people need them. The one my Holistic Dr. has me take is Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega. Some of us with tummy troubles have problems with burping and at least these are lemon flavored.

Nothing like the taste of dead fish :blink:

I started taking Omega-3s a month or so ago but had the problem with the burping - was really gross b/c it DOES taste like old fish coming up - yuck! So I stopped taking them but every now and then I take one in the middle of my meal (not before you eat and not after - I read somewhere that it helps the burping if you take in the middle of a meal). This does seem to help, but it's so hard to remember!

marciab Enthusiast

Some of the fish oil supplements also contain soy in the form of tocopheral. It is in the fine print of course. :ph34r:

Guest ~jules~
Interesting post on Omega 3s. I have been reading a new book on feeding children by Dr Alex Richardson "They are what you feed them". Not about celiac disease, but general nutrition. She is an Oxford University expert on Omega 3 oils and their effects - all the research at v early stages though. You need a variety of other vitamins and minerals to use the Omega 3s properly in your brain, and it looks as though these are also vitamins and minerals which celiacs tend to lack. Could this be part of the reason why we gluten intolerants suffer brain fog? Could there be a link here to Alzheimers which is also associated with celiac disease? Anyone out there tried Omega 3 supplements, or taken up fish eating and noticed an effect?

She says "the dry mass of your brain is..60 per cent fat...the type of fat in your diet can affect the way your brain works" (or the type of fat your body can absorb I assume) " Fats can influence almost all celular functions..some can even regulate your genes." We need Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acids (HUFAs). The brain needs HUFAs. I quote Dr Richardson:"Many diet and lifestyle factors can reduce the conversion of Essential Fatty Acids to HUFAs, including poor diets" (or malabsorbtion I assume). "These include vitamins B1, B3, B6, Vit C, zinc, magnesium and manganese." Well, B vits and magnesium I think are well known to be a problem for celiaccs. Women can make their own HUFAs from diet better than guys, maybe (my guess) because they create babies inside themselves. Guys pretty much have to eat fish. Omega 3s also keep the heart and other vital organs AND THE IMMUNE SYSTEM functioning properly she says. Hmmm. Some part being played here in the auto-immune process? Maybe some link to celliac tendency to other auto immune disorders, being discussed elsewhere on this forum?

Also possible links to ADD, ADHD, high-functioning autism.

Anyone any thoughts, any experience of taking Omega 3s plus the other supplements and getting any interesting results? I'm interested in the immune system especially, since my brother has cancer of the immune system - Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia. Which is more common in guys, incidentally.

Alzhiemers is connected to celiac? How so?

mamaw Community Regular

Nini & those of you who burp after taking fish oil. I don't have that problem with the one Dr.Maroon told us to use. Nordic Naturals makes several kinds with different names.When I used another brand I tasted that all day & night............

My Vet just had me put my kitty on these also.

mamaw

Mayflowers Contributor

I just read on this board that someone read a study that fish oil capsules are linked to cancer. I take Icelandic Health. They are supposed to be the best. I stopped taking them because I'm worried now about the cancer scare. Anyone know about that?

I burp up fish oil if I take them in the morning. If I take them in the afternoon with enough food, I don't burp them up. The fish taste is horrible.

lindalee Enthusiast
Nini & those of you who burp after taking fish oil. I don't have that problem with the one Dr.Maroon told us to use. Nordic Naturals makes several kinds with different names.When I used another brand I tasted that all day & night............

My Vet just had me put my kitty on these also.

mamaw

Hi Mamaw, How do you give the fish oil to your kitty? Squeeze it on the food? Thanks, LL

aikiducky Apprentice

I just eat a lot of fish. I would think it tastes better... :D

I have noticed that it helps my brain fog if after a glutening I eat a lot of green leafy stuff with salmon.

Pauliina

RiceGuy Collaborator

Just thought I'd point out that there are a number of berries which are high in omega-3s. Sounds like a good excuse to pile on blueberries, blackberries, and others onto rice cereal, desserts, or just a yummy snack. I've always loved berry pies, turnovers, and even berry waffles/pancakes (now gluten-free of course). Frozen berries apparently work too, so you don't have to buy fresh only to have them spoil so quickly.

...add berries to homemade yogurt, tapioca pudding, applesauce...homemade blackberry jam...the list is endless!

Clark Bent as Stupor-Man Contributor
There is a lot of info on the web about omegas, nutrients and the brain. See mindscience.org. Google brain nutrients.

I have much less brain fog nowadays. Part of my problem was hypoglycemia. And I am extra sensitive to all processed grains.

I don't take any supplements because I can't digest them, but also because oils with omegas are anti inflamatory and I figured my esophagus needs that too. These help regulate your bowels too. :)

what brand omega 3 fish oil do you take? I saw you mention below that some contain soy which I also need to avoid.. I was taking fish oil softgels early in the year for a couple months but stopped and want to start getting omegas again..

• 4 weeks later...
SandraB Newbie
Alzhiemers is connected to celiac? How so?

Hi - I think I should have said dementia rather than Alzheimer's - Dr Alessio Fasano says there are links if you search the web for his name/celiac/dementia it should come up. Other studies come up making links. One has tested some people with Alzheimer's for celiac and found no difference between them and the general population, but is a small study. Latest Mayo Clinic stuff on cognitive decline v interesting in this respect.

• 1 month later...
Nevadan Contributor

On the topic of Omega-3, I thought it might be of interest to mention a very interesting book I've just read: "The Queen of Fats" by Susan Allport. The subtitle is "Why omega-3's were removed from the western diet and what we can do to preplace them". I heard the author interviewed on NPR Science Friday a few weeks ago and then ordered the book. The message from the interview was that the elimination of trans-fats may lead to an even worse health situation. Her book is a biographical history of research on various forms of fats, most of which has been largely unappreciated in the scientific/medical/pharma/ag world. Even it you are not interested in the history, skip over to chapter 10 for some interesting summarization. One result of the research she reports is that it's not how little fat we eat that counts - more importantly it's what kind of fat we eat that counts. Her account does an interesting job explaining the significance of the various fats on health: satuated, monosaturated, and in even greater detail the polyunsaturated fats. The conclusion presented is that omega-3 polyunsaturated fats are the key to solving many of todays health problems - from cardio to obesity, diabetes, arthritis and beyond - and her book presents some pretty convincing evidence. Unfortunately for some practical reasons which she describes, our food industry tends to emphasize omega-6's instead of omega-3's which is part of the problem instead of part of the cure. As she explains, her book is not a diet book - it's just an airing of some lesser published research over most of last century.

marciab Enthusiast
what brand omega 3 fish oil do you take? I saw you mention below that some contain soy which I also need to avoid.. I was taking fish oil softgels early in the year for a couple months but stopped and want to start getting omegas again..

Sorry, I just found this. <_< I don't remember the name. But, I got them from my local health food store and they were expensive. I remember the term they used was tocopheral. Marcia

loraleena Contributor

The Nordic naturals brand I take is lemon flavored and tastes good. Omega 6 is not what you want. We already get too much of that in other cooking oils. We really need more Omega 3. Also cooking with any oil other than coconut oil is not good. The heating makes it toxic.

SurreyGirl Rookie
Interesting post on Omega 3s...

Hi Sandra

Yes, Omegas were the first point , where my research started to take off, it was before gluten-free though.

In my son (DQ1) it cleared up extremely dry skin and improved mental abilities, concentration and so on. I read "Fats that kill, fats that kill" by Udo Erasmus and then met him later. Although the book is technical in places, it reads well and covers some medical conditions (can't remember whether it mentions celiac). See below for the link to his website.

We have moved on to gluten-free and dairy-light since, but continue with Balanced Omega supplements(3, 6, 9). It was quite obvious that my son was malabsorbing fats (and fat-soluble vitamins with them), but the reason was gluten (wish we knew then!).

However, going back to your last point, I hope your brother takes probiotics? A lot of immunity depends on a healthy digestive track and the right flora. After omegas and gluten-free, probiotics were the next stage where a visible improvement happened in my son.

Udo's website on omegas resources is here: Open Original Shared Link

He does have some products too, although we buy ours locally (UK) and we also use flaxseeds.

Anna

Nevadan Contributor
Hi Sandra

We have moved on to gluten-free and dairy-light since, but continue with Balanced Omega supplements(3, 6, 9). It was quite obvious that my son was malabsorbing fats (and fat-soluble vitamins with them), but the reason was gluten (wish we knew then!).

Anna

I notice you are taking a combo of Omega 3,6,9 - I HIGHLY recommend reading the book I mentioned further up this thread "The Queen of Fats" by Susan Allport. Her book makes a good case that one problem with the Western diet is that we are too low in Omega-3 and too high in Omega-6. She discusses the actual research experiments that led to this conclusion in some detail. Omega-3 is almost a wonder drug; however, Omega-6 can be a real problem generator. Bottom line from those studies: take Omega-3 but not Omega-6 since we are overdosed on that one already - possibly even with malabsorption.

Archived