This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Another Success Story, With Some Problem

Dyang

Dyang Apprentice

I start gluten-free diet mid-July this year, for a bit less than two months. I have been dead serious about ruling out the smallest bits of gluten, no processed foods. I have been cooking from absolute bare ingredients. I wanted answer quickly.

My joint pain has subsided in some areas and almost disappeared in others.

I now have very little to no pain in my left shoulder, right groin and right knee, reduced pain in my right lower back. All have troubled me for two or more years.

My skin has only improved somewhat, far from completely. Still dry but much less scaly stuff is coming out.

The truth now is that I am very serious about going to the gym to workout, since my energy level and desire have both been heightened. At first once every week for a few weeks, then twice a week, and now every other day. My strength gain is progressing well. I have also been riding my bike for five or six miles about every other day.

Actually, my last rheumotologist did help me at lot, although she failed to connect the dots and suspect gluten intolerance. She did point out vividly my symptoms of very dry skin, patchy and blistered skin, dry mouth. Otherwise, I might have failed to relate to my situation when the radio played Dr. Green's description of Gluten Intolerance symptoms. I also have joint pain, discolored teeth, cramp in leg, and somewhat low bone density.

I have not had any diagnosis, but I am convinced that gluten is at least a major part of my problems.

Strangely, my left side lower back and left foot have started to hurt. I think this is residual effect of gluten and too much exercises too soon. I think I have actually hurt my left foot when doing a calf exercise with two hundred pound weight. I have always been quite strong for my weight.

I will rest more to see.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bluejeangirl Contributor

You might have one leg alittle shorter then the other. The hip and foot and making adjustments for it.

Do you see a chiropractor? They can fit you with a lift in your shoe if thats the case.

Great to read all your progress. I got better in my joints also. Its amazing isn't it.

gail

jcc Rookie

Take it slow at the gym... it is really easy to overdo and complicate matters with injury.

I've had migrating joint pains and what my family has commonly referred to as "wimpy joint syndrome" for much of my life. This is one of those things that improved significantly for me that I wasn't really expecting.

At age 48, my joints give me less trouble than they did at 30 (knock on wood).

I've been gluten free for five years. While you may notice an early improvement in joint pain, don't expect too much too soon...as it may take some more time for deeper healing.

My guess is that you did over do it at the gym as you suspect. It is easy to do when you finally start feeling better. Rest, and then take it a little more slowly~

Great news that you are feeling better!

Cara

gfp Enthusiast
Talk it slow at the gym... it is really easy to overdo and complicate matters with injury.

I've had migrating joint pains and what my family has commonly referred to as "wimpy joint syndrome" for much of my life. This is one of those things that improved significantly for me that I wasn't really expecting.

At age 48, my joints give me less trouble than they did at 30 (knock on wood).

I've been gluten free for five years. While you may notice an early improvement in joint pain, don't expect too much too soon...as it may take some more time for deeper healing.

My guess is that you did over do it at the gym as you suspect. It is easy to do when you finally start feeling better. Rest, and then take it a little more slowly~

Great news that you are feeling better!

Cara

I agree and also remember that while you still have inflamation that too much exersize will do as much or more damage. I'm not saying don't do any.. just take it easy on your joints. As they get better you can excersize them harder.

eleep Enthusiast

Since you're experiencing this stuff on your left side, it sounds like a misalignment problem or a problem with form to me -- you might consider seeing a physical therapist about this. Moreover, since you're having back pain, I'd recommend working on strengthening your core muscles if you aren't already -- I'm not an expert, though -- just speaking from my own experience with these things!

• 2 weeks later...
Dyang Apprentice

I'd like to report that my left lower back has stopped hurting.

I also want to relate to you an exercise clue.

Up until a few years ago, when I was in my early 40's, I was able to do leg raise with the body horizontal on a bench and with added weight, about 15 to 20 pounds, at the ankle. (Of course, the range of motion was so small that there was never any danger of the weight dropping on me.) I have always been very strong. I did not have any problem even through I have read that doing so is bad for my psoas muscles, the hip flexer.

Now I appreciate what I have read; in the past I just thought I would be training my psoas (which actually makes sense for a young person without lower back problem, to within a reasonable extent.)

What do I mean by doing so, more generally? It is to put excessive stress on the psoas, when the leg is at nearly 180 degrees with the torso.

Doing leg raise with the body vertical (which also may have the disadvantage of placing excessive stress on the shoulders depending on how the body is supported) is better as a lower ab exercise because when the legs are still not horizontal the stress is less, ie, the psoas does not bear the brunt of the weight.

Exercising with the angle of the leg and the torsa at a smaller range, say between 120 (low leg position) to 60 degrees (leg raised) is safer, and possibly no less effective in ab development.

To work the upper ab rectus, I now place my legs on a bench when I do crunch, again with shorter range in angle. This also places less stress on the psoas.

Either I am finally getter older or there is still residual demage by gluten, or both.

Archived