• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

bknutson

Help "hair Needs Perm" Do I Dare?

Rate this topic

Please please can anyone tell me how our hair holds up to a permenant?

My hair has fallen out so bad and it is way thin. I want to get a loose curl perm to give is some thickness. And so when I curl it is wont be absolutey flat in two hours. Please doesn anyone out there know anything about this. If I get one will hair all fall out? Will it burn my hair real bad? Or will it not take? What I have left for hair is really fine also. Thanks so much for listening . Barb

I'd skip the perm, they're really hard on your hair. I'd just go to a trendy salon, not a walk-in one, make an appt. for later and ask the stylist what kind of style they could give your hair to improve on it's natural look. Straight hair is still in style!

I for one can't WAIT until perms are more in style than straight hair. I'm still an 80's girl at heart. :D

I remember back when perms were in style and if you even breathed a thought that you wanted to straighten your hair, you got the same reaction that you get now if you want a perm.

Eventually it will cycle back around, and the technology that has made straightening less harmful than it used to be will go into the curling process and make perms less harmful.

I mean when I hear how long it takes for my cousin with curly hair to blow dry her hair straight, I don't see the difference between that and all the time I spent with my curling iron in 1985.

I loved the 80's too!! I have thick naturally curly hair ... I wear it curly. It's just so damaging to straighten it every day, and I'm trying to grow it longer, and my hubby likes it bleached. So, my stylist said, no more blow dryers!!

I think you can get away with anything today ... but I think in general hair looks better when you're not constantly fighting the curl or the straightness ... it's the old, you want what you don't have!

The 'want what you don't have' is so true :D I'm right now, fighting the urge to have my hair straightened--I used to do that when it was longer.

When I got really sick, and it fell out in patches, I stopped having anything done to it, and had it cut shorter. Now that it's growing out a little, and is healthy again--I want to get rid of this curl!

Probably if I had straight hair all my life, I'd want it this way :lol:

The 'want what you don't have' is so true :D I'm right now, fighting the urge to have my hair straightened--I used to do that when it was longer.

When I got really sick, and it fell out in patches, I stopped having anything done to it, and had it cut shorter. Now that it's growing out a little, and is healthy again--I want to get rid of this curl!

Probably if I had straight hair all my life, I'd want it this way :lol:

LOL Long curly hair is beautiful, it will be harder to grow out if you put chemicals in it (and I speak from experience there -- think bleach!!)

If your hair is quite thin and fine, and you really want to have it look full and with body, you should look into getting one of the custom hairpieces that they make for that purpose. It is like a very coarse net that you pull your hair through. It doesn't damage your hair like hair extensions or chemical treatments do.

Just make sure you get it from a place that has a store or salon of sorts. There are some very shady companies on the internet.

I hadn't heard of the custom hairpieces--sounds like a good idea.

Barb, to address your question--sorry to go off into my own hair issues :ph34r: --it sounds like a perm might be too strong for your hair right now. I don't know how long you've been gluten-free, but it might ba a better idea to wait until your hair is healthier. Mine took a while--I'm 14 months into the diet and mine has grown back where it fell out. Hopefully, yours will come around as well :)

If you deceide to go for it, definately see a professional (as opposed to doing it at home) and make sure that the person uses a product for fine, damaged hair and times the process carefully :)