Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ÆON

Any Ideas?

Hi everyone. I'm kinda new here and I hope I'm putting this in the right area.

I just had a weird thing happen and I'm wondering if any of you have had it happen or any guesses as to what it is.

I was out spreading some polyester resin on an old Beetle that I'm restoring (I was fiberglassing a floorboard) and after a couple of minutes I started to feel really sick like I'd just some gluten. The stomach pain, the gas, the nausea, the works.

There aren't any ingredients on the stupid can of resin and the last time I did fiberglassing it didn't bother me at all - I have to admit that was several years ago.

Anyway, I am really mystified as to what made me sick. It doesn't seem like resin fumes should make me feel like I've eaten a loaf of bread. Any ideas? :unsure:

Oh, I'm very sure I didn't eat anything to cause this, I'd eaten a couple of hours before and I get sick very fast when I've made a mistake.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Well, if drywall can cause mystery glutenings, I imagine fiberglass/resin could too. I'd call the company and ask if wheat, barley, rye, or oats is an ingredient.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

I wonder if resin contains any glue. I've just read that even industrial strength glue is made from gluten, as it's very sticky (no wonder it gums up our insides).

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I second Ursula. A lot of glues have gluten in them....hmmm...glue - gluten....they even sound the same! I would suspect resin couldn't be much different.

Thanks much for the input, I really appreciate it. It's a little tough at times to know what to be careful of. I was sick for two nights until I realized it was my toothpaste, go figure. :P

I was having similar thoughts about the glue/resin things but I couldn't find any information on the net. I didn't know about the industrial strength glue, though. I'll give the company a call and find out for sure.

Guhlia mentioned drywall causing a reaction - I can't imagine such a thing but it makes me feel a little less strange.