This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Cat Is Now Gluten Free!

jerseyangel

jerseyangel Proficient

As many of you probably know, I've been hesitant to change my cat's food due to his age--14 years. I didn't know how he'd take to it, as he's kind of an old fuddy-duddy :D

Yesterday, we deceided to give it a try--the worst that could happen --we'd have to give the bag of food to my son for his cats!

We bought Science Diet Senior Original, brought it home and put it in his dish.

He gave it a sniff, and then immediately proceeded to wolf it all down--without even looking up to take a breath! He even ate the ones that he knocked out of the dish while eating--he's never done that before!

This morning, he's absolutely fine--no signs of stomach distress ;)

Yipee :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

LOL He obviously prefers gluten-free!!

jerseyangel Proficient
LOL He obviously prefers gluten-free!!

I know--all this time I was afraid it would upset his system to switch! Now, I wish I'd done it much sooner--that stuff can't be good for him, either :D

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

wow after i posted you realized you must have done a new thread.

this is what caused the problem with your new bedding.

I'm amazed...you are such a good mom..glad the cat loves the new food and mom will like not washing so much.

glad you figured it out

have a great day

judy

nikki-uk Enthusiast
He gave it a sniff, and then immediately proceeded to wolf it all down--without even looking up to take a breath! He even ate the ones that he knocked out of the dish while eating--he's never done that before!

Patti-that's so funny ,I can just see Allo wolfing it down!! :lol:

It's also better for you that he's G.F as you handle his food.

I've tinkered with my cats food on and off over the years,and I've found that they always seem to like the 'dearer' foods (they are such snobs).Science Diet or Iams always seems to go down well!

I think it's because the dearer ones don't fill their food out with cereal like the cheaper ones.

Glad Allo is impressed with his new diet though!! :D

lindalee Enthusiast

Patti,

That's great. Hannah, 12 has been having bathroom issues and I have been trying different ones. He likes them all lol but not giving me any breaks with cleanup. I will try that one. :)

Nancym Enthusiast

I stopped using kibble for my cat entirely because I know how badly I digest grains, and my species has had about 10,000 years to adapt. I figured cats were less well equipped than we are. So now he's just having meat, raw meat. His health has improved a lot.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rikki Tikki Explorer

Patti:

I am glad your cat is now gluten free and it's worked out well. Now you won't even have to breathe the gluten cat food! :D:D No CC issues there! :lol::lol:

Carriefaith Enthusiast

My cat is all most gluten-free too except for the random treats he gets! He eats Science Direct Hair Ball treatment (He is a Himalayen) and Friskas without gluten in the ingredients.

lindalee Enthusiast
I stopped using kibble for my cat entirely because I know how badly I digest grains, and my species has had about 10,000 years to adapt. I figured cats were less well equipped than we are. So now he's just having meat, raw meat. His health has improved a lot.

Nancy, what kind of raw meat?

jerseyangel Proficient

Today I was eating my (bunless) hamburger for lunch, and instead of looking up at me with his "where's my piece?", he proceeded to his own dish and ate some of his new food. Unbelieveable :rolleyes:

Nikki--I can't believe you remembered his name--that blew me away :):) And I agree about the better foods having less of the fillers, like ash. All that does is make the cat eat more. Yours have good taste :lol:

Celia-- :lol: Brain fog!

Judy and Nancy--I know--he's been throwing up more often lately, maybe the gluten was really getting to him...

Carrie--sounds like your kitty is doing great being gluten-free!

Lee--Yes, maybe give this a try. Hopefully it will make things easier for both of you :)

Tavi--Yep--I feel like I just eliminated another potential gluten problem!

Nancym Enthusiast
Nancy, what kind of raw meat?

I vary it a lot. I found places I could order pet food meats like rabbit, deer, beef, chicken, goat, turkey and have it delivered frozen. Sometimes I just grind chicken for him. Today I'm going to find a Bravo distributor in my area and pick up some of their meat mixtures. His favorites seem to be chicken, beef offal, and goat. He was really keen on rabbit for awhile.

One place I ordered from was: hare-today.com

I thought the Evo cat food (Evolution line... I think) was one of the more decent canned cat foods. It did have potato in it though, or maybe it was pumpkin, can't quite remember. But at least it was down further in the list of ingredients and it wasn't a grain!

lindalee Enthusiast
I vary it a lot. I found places I could order pet food meats like rabbit, deer, beef, chicken, goat, turkey and have it delivered frozen. Sometimes I just grind chicken for him. Today I'm going to find a Bravo distributor in my area and pick up some of their meat mixtures. His favorites seem to be chicken, beef offal, and goat. He was really keen on rabbit for awhile.

One place I ordered from was: hare-today.com

I thought the Evo cat food (Evolution line... I think) was one of the more decent canned cat foods. It did have potato in it though, or maybe it was pumpkin, can't quite remember. But at least it was down further in the list of ingredients and it wasn't a grain!

Thanks Nancy, He was on the Evo and that wasn't working too well. I check into this raw. :)

Archived