Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest adamssa

Ginkgo Bilboa

Guest adamssa

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone here has had any luck with taking Ginkgo Bilboa for brain fog, or if it's not meant to treat our kind of brain issues. I still have episodes of brain fog that can't be attributed to gluten, because I am absolutely 100% gluten-free right now. (Absolutely sure!) :) I've had lots of good results with taking herbs for other symptoms like constipation and fatigue, so I was wondering if I should try treating the fog episodes herbally.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my food allergies post! I've decided though, that it isn't from allergic reactions because I have the same problems even when I eat only vegetables. I noticed though, that I wasn't feeling this way when I was having accupuncture, so I think that I need to treat myself on a different level besides just the physical, which I feel I've thoroughly evaluated. I'm going in for Reiki on Monday, and depending on how that goes I'll either continue with that or start having accupuncture again.

Thanks,

Sara

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

What herbal supplements do you take for fatigue?

Courtney - 25

Columbia, SC

Gluten-free since July 8, 2006

Casein-free since October 16, 2006

Went six weeks, and fell back into a deliciously painful world of cheese.

Casein-free (again and for serious this time) December 11, 2006

Stupid cheese addiction....2/07

Dx Hypothyroid in 1993

Dx Gluten & Casein Sensitive through Enterolab 10/06

Dx Adrenal *Exhaustion* 2/07

Originally from WI, I am still in denial over my newfound casein intolerance. I fear I will not be allowed back into the state if I can no longer eat cheese and drink milk. This could pose some trouble over holidays when I wish to visit my family. It also poses a problem involving the severe rage I feel when I have to throw away somebody's unfinished cheese sticks. That is so wrong.

Girls, be careful with Ginkgo, St John's Wort and Echinacea if you're on birth control.

St John's Wort is proven to lessen the effects of birth control, and Ginkgo and Echinacea are suspected of it and being studied.

Also don't take Ginkgo is you're on a blood thinner or don't clot well.

I use B vitamins to get my brain uncloudy.

There is a great gluten-free product called EnadAlert ( expensive, but works wonders) that you can get online or at health food stores. Because of the price, I only use it when I need to rapidly climb out of a brain fog in order to cope.

Its basically activated Niacin. It's like a red bull in a little pill, without the ucky taste.

Elonwy

Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05

Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05

gluten-free since 7/23/05

Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

Guest adamssa
What herbal supplements do you take for fatigue?

I don't need any now, but I was taking a B-Complex, and some Chinese Herbs that I don't the names of now. It seemed to help, although there are my factors with these kinds of thing. I've heard other people talk about taking B-Complex for fatigue as well, and really don't think it can hurt you.

Sara

elonowy, what kind of b vitamins do you take to clear your mind, and how long does it take? lately carbroydrates seem to be doing my brain in, but I'd like to still eat rice. maybe i should go back on the b-complex, i don't know that i was having such frequent fog while i was taking it.

Sara

I take one-a-day womens, which had most of the B vitamins in it. I used to take additional B3 (niacin) to help my brain, but now I only take extra niacin in the form of a niacin tablet or in the NADH form Enadalert when I actually need it, cause too much niacin can be bad for you. I find that the multi's make my head clearer on a regular basis and the extra niacin really clears up my brain when I need it. The tablet form takes about 20 minutes to start helping, usually lasts all day. The NADH takes about three minutes ( it dissolved under your tongue) and lasts from 4-6 hours.

Niacin helps by getting more oxygen to the brain. It makes your red blood cells absorb more, which gets more oxygen and good stuff to your brain and nervous system.

This is why drinking alcohol with Red Bull makes you really drunk really quickly, because you absorb more alcohol faster.

Elonwy

Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05

Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05

gluten-free since 7/23/05

Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

Gingko didn't do anything for me. It is really expensive and wasn't worth it.

If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.

Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?

Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.

Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.