This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Plot Thickens In

marciab

marciab Enthusiast

Well. A brick hit me this week. :blink: After 16 and 1/2 years of being completely disabled -

As of September 4th, I apparently don't need a motorized cart to go grocery shopping anymore. My legs are fine and I don't even get winded anymore.

And as of September 6th, I can sleep about 9 hours a nite all on my own without any meds. :D

What do you think ? Can I consider myself a celiac ? Am I part of the "cool" crowd now ? :lol:

I know the NIH said that nuerological problems could be from celiac, but how can this be ????

My nocturnal myoclonus and my myoclonus in my hands went away back in August.

I am still getting a little tired, but if I rest for a few minutes or eat something, I snap right back out of it.

Please do not tell me this is temporary ....

Marcia

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

This is great!! If all this progress came after you went gluten-free, I'd stay gluten-free!! Who cares if there's an official diagnosis? After all these years, none of your "official diagnoses" cured you like this has!

Nantzie Collaborator

YAY!!!!! I'm so happy for you. I had a lot of mobility issues for the last few years before figuring all of this out. I was eyeing the motorized cart at the grocery store, but I didn't have anyone to help me, so I used the regular grocery cart as a walker, because while standing I could reach more stuff that I normally bought.

I'm undiagnosed, so are a lot of people here. Welcome to the club! :D From what I've experienced, nobody here cares one bit about whether you have a diagnosis in order to call yourself celiac when you might "JUST" be gluten-intolerant. I say I have celiac because it takes less time to type. :lol:

Nancy

marciab Enthusiast

Isn't this cool ?? :D I'm so afraid it is not going to last though.

Thanks Carla, I went "everything" free all at once because my digestion was so bad. But, I am still thinking this is all celiac.

Nancy, I am so glad you got over your mobility issues too. :)

Can you beleive this ?

Marcia

jerseyangel Proficient

Marcia--I actually got tingly reading your post!! This is the greatest news--I have a feeling that it will not be temporary, and that this is just the beginning for you :D

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Isn't that a wonderful brick. For me it was realizing I had just run up the stairs about 6 months after diagnosis, I sat at the top and cried. For me this has not only lasted but continued to slowly keep improving. I also was amazed when my neuro problems went away I wasn't expecting it. I am so glad you are doing so well and I hope you continue to improve.

Nooner Newbie

Way cool! :D

Keep it up! It works!

~Li

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

marciab Enthusiast

Thanks Patti,

I sure hope this lasts. :D I've had remissions over the years, but I have never been off all meds and felt this strong.

I wonder how many others here have had similar experiences. Marcia

Thanks Raven - The more success stories I hear the better I feel about all of this. :)

Thanks nooner - pretty cool, huh !

I would have never believed that this could be resolved with diet :o

Nantzie Collaborator

It still blows me away. The other day I went to the mall with a friend of mine, and I realized after walking back and forth all over the mall that nothing hurt. Not even my feet.

Just something simple like that, which I had taken for granted at one point, and other people couldn't understand about when I couldn't do it, was WONDERFUL!

Now, when I hear someone talking about chronic pain or fibromyalgia, my celiac radar goes up.

Nancy

Guest nini

that's so great... mine was this time last year when I marched in a parade with our local Celiac support groups and actually survived it without having to find a bathroom or collapse on the ground because my legs were going numb or something weird like that. Today my daughter and my mom and I walked in the same parade with the support groups again and I actually RAN to catch up with someone and didn't get winded! It just keeps getting better. (now if I'd only remembered to wear sunblock I wouldn't have this sunburn on my face!)

Nantzie Collaborator

That's so cool Nini! People who don't have a gluten problem sometimes don't realize what those parades, run/walks and 5k's really represent. It's either freedom from pain and mobility issues or freedom from being tied to the bathroom, or freedom from a dozen other things that limited your life.

Nancy

Guest nini
That's so cool Nini! People who don't have a gluten problem sometimes don't realize what those parades, run/walks and 5k's really represent. It's either freedom from pain and mobility issues or freedom from being tied to the bathroom, or freedom from a dozen other things that limited your life.

Nancy

that is so true... just 3 years ago I wouldn't have considered doing something like that, but two years in a row now I have successfully walked in this parade! It was so nice having my mom with me today, I can tell she's really proud of how far I've come. She even commented that just a few short years ago I was so ill I wouldn't have been able to do something like that. It was also neat seeing group members that I haven't seen in a while!

marciab Enthusiast

AW !! You guys are making me cry !! I can walk through the mall now too. I can only dream about running again. :)

I had no idea you had been through this too.

Nantzie Collaborator

{{{HUGS}}} Me too. It's nice to know there are other people with the same experience. The symptoms really end up isolating you, and you end up feeling alone in a dozen different ways.

I will never stop being grateful that I found this board and all the wonderful people here.

Nancy

Guest nini
AW !! You guys are making me cry !! I can walk through the mall now too. I can only dream about running again. :)

I had no idea you had been through this too.

it was interesting hearing my mom talk to the other members of the local support group yesterday at the parade, talking about not knowing why I was so sick as a child and watching me deteriorate over time and her telling me all the time she thought it was something in my diet and I didn't want to listen... anyway, I'm rambling... I wasn't completely disabled but was quickly on my way there 3 1/2 years ago and now I feel like a completely different person. I've lost almost a whole person in weight (110 pounds) and have gained a whole new perspective on life.

marciab Enthusiast

Thanks folks,

Ya'll have given me reason to believe that my mobility issues are behind me.

I guess, this is just going to take time before I adjust to the new me.

happygirl Collaborator

Marcia, I am so happy for you! It is a breath of fresh air to read your great, encouraging words of improvement.

Before my diagnosis, I was in bed nearly every day for the last two months pre-dx. Couldn't do anything because of the joint pain and even if I could, the fatigue and bathroom issues kept me at home. Had to drop out of the PhD program I was in, with the hope that I could at least finish my master's (I would've started the PhD classes that fall). I was finally diagnosed and was given my life back. Recently, I began having numerous, similar issues....finally realized it was all food related. It is hard to believe! But, like you, I am just GRATEFUL. So you can join the list of others here who are standing (or for some, sitting!) tall and feeling great. We are happy to have you in the "feeling better" group.

I'm sure your family and friends are happy, as well!

marciab Enthusiast

Laura,

Thanks and congratulations to you to. I am happy to be a member of the "feeling better" crowd. :D

loraleena Contributor

I am so happy for you. Unfortuneatly my fibro issues all came back in the last 6 weeks and I am in a lot of pain. I have not been glutened and I don't know why! I am pretty bummed at this point.

marciab Enthusiast

Loraleena,

Thanks, but sorry to hear that your fibro is back. That is the kind of thing I am worried about. My fibro only comes back now if I am not sleeping good. How long were you pain free ? Marcia

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

Congrats marcia.. glad to hear that you are feeling better. it only gets better!! welcome to the club. and no one needs an "official" diagnosis to be here. you are welcome either way!

marciab Enthusiast

thanks folks,

I really enjoy being a member of this board, but one of the reasons I started this thread was because I am soooo confused .... :blink:

I am still hung up on that Chronic Fatigue syndrome diagnosis from 1992. I am on disability for CFS/FM. My diagnosis is (was ??) air tight. :unsure:

I honestly just can't believe celiac is the answer even though I have made so many improvements. And it certainly explains so many other problems I have had in my lifetime. ADHD, brain fog and IBS ... duh !!!! I feel like a whole new person. :)

Anyone else go through this doubting period ?? :blink:

Nantzie Collaborator

Yea. I think it's natural since it was going on for so long. In one way or another the vast majority of us suffered for years with no explanation. When it goes away, almost as if by magic, it's hard to trust it or accept it.

Nancy

marciab Enthusiast

Thanks Nancy,

You are right. It does seem magical. :) And so "unbelievable" that a simple diet change could enable me to walk normally again. Geesh !!

I can hardly wait to go to the local art festival this year. :D

Nantzie Collaborator

YES! The luxury of strolling and wandering, and then going AAALLLL the way back to that one artist on the far side of the fair just to ponder something...

The fact that you have to bring a gluten-free bar to eat, or that you have to go back to the cooler of food in the back of your car to eat lunch, is meaningless compared to the freedom of the rest of the day.

:D

Nancy

Archived