Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest cassidy

Trader Joe's - Do They Hide Gluten Or Chance Of Cc?

Guest cassidy

I was traveling and found a Trader Joe's. I know how many people rave about the store so I went in. I asked about gluten and I was told that they wouldn't hide gluten. I also bought something that told me what equipment shared with the product, so I felt they were letting us know what could be cross contaminated.

When I got home I went on their website and found their gluten-free list. The products I bought are not on it. The first product, chicken enchiladas in salsa verde is on the west coast gluten-free list, but I bought it in Massachusetts. Do you think it would be ok?

The second one, Roasted Vegetable Enchiladas, isn't on either list as gluten-free, but it says it is manufactured on equipment with soy,eggs, but not wheat or gluten. Does anyone know if this is ok?

I don't want to take a chance but my mouth waters every time I open the freezer.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have experienced what I think was cross-contamination by eating items that appeared to be gluten-free from the ingredient listing but weren't on their gluten-free list (case in point: Hummus). However I agree that they just don't update their gluten-free list to keep up with their constantly revolving product line.

*Gluten free since 7/06

*Cutting down on soy and dairy since 9/06

I agree that Trader Joe's lists are not up to date. I purchased items from the list ( didn't confirm the label) and found them not to be gluten-free the hard way. After later inspection I found the veggie chips were made on equipment shared with Wheat products. I learned my lesson. Always check the labels.

Donna :(

Celiac Disease 08/05

Osteoporosis 08/05 (age 38 )

Fibromyalgia, Microscopic Colitis, Elevated ANA (1:1280) 09/07

Mom of three. Daughter with gene marker for Celiac. No signs of disease

Donna

Long Island, NY

Trader joes readily admits that they can't keep their lists up to date. I purchased several things there that had not been on the list but did not list any suspicious ingredients. I asked the manager about it and he said that everything is properly labeled, so even if it isn't on the list it should be fine. I had no reactions to any of it, and the enchiladas was one of the items I bought.

1994 implanted with saline filled breast impalnts

1995 began getting sick with multiple symptoms, syndromes, etc. spent the next 10 years chronically ill

2005 found out I had faulty saline breast implants and was internally poisoned

2005 had implants properly removed with immediate 80% recovery of most symptoms

6/2006 started gluten free diet when digestive problems were not healing, even after agressively fighting candidiasis

8/2006 Enterolab results Fecal Antigliadin IgA 12 (Normal Range <10 Units)

"There are a million right ways and only one wrong way. It is wrong to think that your way is the only right way!"