Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

penguin

Catch Y'all Later.

Just letting you all (that care) know that I'm leaving the board, for now anyway. I just feel that in the last several weeks, the board has moved from a place of support to a place of radicalism. It seems like every other thread is something about a conspiracy, a looming threat, or some evil substance that's killing us all. Sorry, but I'm over it.

This board no longer seems to be a place where the newly diagnosed or the people that suspect celiac disease can come to get information and support and reccomendations. I understand that many people have other health problems, other intolerances, whatever. I understand the need for support from others on these issues, but I see more posts on more threads that have nothing to do with gluten, or even celiac disease and gluten intolerance. Call me crazy, but I'm just so annoyed by it.

So, saying that, I bid you all adieu. I'm leaving, at least for now. I wish you all well.

Chelsea

Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy

We'll all float on, alright

Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Chelsea,

I'm sorry to hear this. But, you feel what you feel...

I wish you luck with everything, and hope that you drop back by sometime.

It was nice to meet you and compare notes on the 'Cuse!

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Guest nini

hate to see ya go but why do ya think I've been so scarce around here lately. Just don't have the time to deal with all this controversy.

if anyone needs my help I'm here, just pm me anytime...

I kinda agree. But I still find this board keeps me informed about any changes that may happen (like with the Coca Puffs), so I stick around and basically just ignore any of the posts that don't interest me.

Sorry to see you go, but I understand.

Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy

Inflamed stomach lining

Gluten free since July 6, 2005

Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

Guest ~jules~
I kinda agree. But I still find this board keeps me informed about any changes that may happen (like with the Coca Puffs), so I stick around and basically just ignore any of the posts that don't interest me.

Sorry to see you go, but I understand.

well, I agree. I'm a fairly newbie, this site has helped me alot, but there is alot of trippy stuff going on in here that i just choose to ignore, as with most "group" sites that kind of stuff always happens eventually. Penguin, so you know you have answered some of my questions very helpfully, as with many others here. Take care, enjoy your break ;)

Sorry to hear you are leaving. And I look forward to seeing you here again. You are always so funny. :)

Marcia

Jan 1990 - Dx CFS/ME/FM (URI's, Ataxia, myoclonus, orthostatic hypotension, insomnia, brain fog, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat... ) Completely Disabled (housebound and bedridden at times)

2004 - Digestive pain all the time.

May 2004 - Hiatal hernia, erosive gastritis, gastroparesis (endoscopy)

August 2004 - Colon polyps, diverticulitus, internal hemorrhoids (colonoscopy)

No relief from Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, Zelnorm, Miralax, Imodium, Lomotil ...

July 2005 - GP recommended WFDFSFEFCF + vegan (Also, anything that hurts free)

Immediately stopped needing naps and digestive pain reduced.

Sept 2005 - GFDFCFSFEF + chemical free - Immediately stopped feeling jittery / buzzing and digestive issues were much better.

June 2006 - Dx B12 and iron deficient. Started B12 injections and using cast iron pan.

August 2006 - MYOCLONUS GONE. (off Klonopin)

September 2006 - ATAXIA, INSOMNIA and Feeling like the floor was moving under my feet gone.

June 19, 2007 - Positive DQ2, Dx Celiac

October 2007 - Sleeping like a baby, waking up with energy, but still having fatigue/stamina issues

Nov 2007 - Started Paleo diet for chronic hypoglycemia

April 2008 - GTT normal. I'm no longer hypoglycemic. Started Low oxalate diet for kidney stones.

May 1, 2008 - Began salt loading for OI/NMH - noticed immediately muscle weakness was gone. I was sodium deficient but my labs don't reflect it. Still working on OI and PEM.

Chelsea, you always gave such great support and advice. I'll really miss seeing you around. I hope that you'll come back sooner rather than later.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Chelsea -- I am so sorry to see you leave. You have been such a source of comfort, of information, and a friend. My initial reaction is to say "Please don't leave" . . . . but then, again, the reason you are leaving is EXACTLY why I left months ago. I think that it is so sad that the good people end up leaving, the rabble-rousers stay, and we're left with a somewhat "shell" of a forum. I understand your reasons for leaving, and actually support them . . . . but I am so sorry that you are leaving. I will be keeping in touch with you through e-mail. Love and hugs to you, Lynne

Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

Chelsea,

I am sorry to see you go and hope you will check in now and then. :(

I always enjoyed your input. I too have been cutting back time, but due to other reasons. I agree there have been threads lately, and comments etc that have taken from the quality of the board. I assume from reading Lynne's post that this must be a cyclical nature.

HUGS,

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

Chelsea: Oh know, this is forbidden. You can't fink out on us now. You were one of my first contacts.

You have sooooo much to offer. Just think about when you were first DX, and where did you go? There are 10'sx10's everyday that wake up and asked themselves "what is wrong with me"? Walk away from the chat room, but don't walk away from the people who can learn from your Knowledge.

We are a small few. Please continue to share you knowledge. There are some lives that depend on that knowlege.

Lisa :)

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Just letting you all (that care) know that I'm leaving the board, for now anyway. I just feel that in the last several weeks, the board has moved from a place of support to a place of radicalism. It seems like every other thread is something about a conspiracy, a looming threat, or some evil substance that's killing us all. Sorry, but I'm over it.

This board no longer seems to be a place where the newly diagnosed or the people that suspect celiac disease can come to get information and support and reccomendations. I understand that many people have other health problems, other intolerances, whatever. I understand the need for support from others on these issues, but I see more posts on more threads that have nothing to do with gluten, or even celiac disease and gluten intolerance. Call me crazy, but I'm just so annoyed by it.

So, saying that, I bid you all adieu. I'm leaving, at least for now. I wish you all well.

Chelsea

What happened? Did I miss something? I guess I did but what was it? I wish you would stick around, you know talk things through?

Nostaglia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days!!!!

" 15 years of it's stress!"

"blood work show's a disease called celiac,

but it can't be that because it's rare!"

Diagnosed via blood and biopsy 2003

Not a medical professional just a silly celiac

offering support, my

experience and advice

Chelsea--

I will be sorry to see you go as well. But, I don't blame you. I think there needs to be a re-focus of the board. I hope that you'll be back....we need to make sure that those with experience stick around to offer REAL, EDUCATED knowledge to newbies. That's why I'm still here...to provide info that I wish I had known originally. I agree with Jillian....I'm trying to just stay out of some convos....not even reading them. Maybe that will help? Either way, hope all is well .... xoxo

Laura

Guest Robbin

Yes, penguin, stay. We can all then pick the whole issue apart, in excrutiating detail, piece-by-piece, analyze it, fuss over, till it lasts a gadzillion pages, and then talk about ticks.

Yea I check like 2 or 3 threads a day anymore...mot of which like this one are not even related to celiac disease. :( I am hoping site turns back around. I do not even bother with question about symptons anymore, beucase just useless non-related conspiarcy therioes in reply.

- Vincent -

I hope you'll stay--I'll miss you if you don't! BTW--I forgot to thank you for your delicious ranch chicken recipe. It sounded so good, I made it with tilapia (since that was what we had and I was too impatient to wait to buy chicken the next day) and it was wonderful! I told the kids it was fish sticks ane they gobbled them down.

I know I'm not on here that much, but I really like reading your advice to others and to myself. You have been very helpful and I wish you wouldn't leave. But I do understand where you are coming from and your reasons for leaving.

Tapioca intolerant

First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease

Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.

Gluten-free since June 2005

Dx with IBS February 2005

Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

I hope Chelsea that you change your mind. But, if you don't I do understand. I really do not post much any more as I just don't want to argue about things with anyone. There are newer people that are sometimes giving out the wrong information and I just don't have the energy to correct them. I guess I count on informed members like you to make the difference. This forum seems to evolve every few months into something different, then when I joined. In the beginning I learned so much each and every day. I still learn things, just not as often.

"Throw yourself a pity-party and you'll be the only guest." - Earlene Fowler

Diag. Celiac Disease by positive blood test 2/03/2004

Allergies - corn, soy, casein, egg whites and wheat

Morphia Scleroderma

Osteoarthritis

Hypothyroid and Hperthyroid

Essential Tremors

Asthma

Migraines

Fibromyalgia - diag. in 1978 when they called it Fibrositis

PAD Peripheral Artery Disease

Angina and Atrial Fibrillation

Gluten Ataxia

Vitiligo

Scoliosis of the spine (caused by malabsorption and it is horribly painful) This would be enough reason for someone to go gluten free.

Ocular Myastenia Gravis

:( It will be a shame to see you go.

I always enjoyed your posts-well informed and articulate,with a great sense of humour!! :lol:

Take care ;)

It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

black_cat.gif

Please reconsider ...you're one of the members of the board who has as lot to offer...board threads will have unusual topics and responses and unless it's damaging information there' s nothing that can be done about that. I think all of us pick and choose which threads we participate in and if the thread deteriorates we can always skip it and go onto another area.

Leaving will only give in to the chaos.

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

I also am sorry to see you go and hope that you will reconsider or that you will at least check back now and then to add your knowledge and compassion. As with any community we don't always agree on some things and some are more vocal than others when expressing a disagreement. And as with any community we can not make you stay if you are ready to move on. But you will be missed.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

I will miss you penguin. you were so kind to reach out to me when i was so sad.

i hope you continue to do well !

Jess

Diagnosed in March 2006 after being in the hospital due to pancreatitis due to undiagnosed celiac

years of being told i had IBS, taking numerous IBS medications (since the age of fifteen)

Chelsea-You've been a great positive resource of knowledge and compassion.

you will be greatly missed. respect your decison but hope you will return in the near future.

hugs and support

judy in philly

Judy in Southern CA

Yes, penguin, stay. We can all then pick the whole issue apart, in excrutiating detail, piece-by-piece, analyze it, fuss over, till it lasts a gadzillion pages, and then talk about ticks.

:lol::lol::lol: this is the funniest thing ever....a big guffaw here...

but tempered by the fact that Penguin is leaing. :( Please don't go....you are SO quick with the wit and an astute answer. Will miss you. Come back.

SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss