Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hannahsue01

Gluten Free Ice Cream?

I was dissapointed last night when I went to WalMart and found that as I stood in the ice cream isle for quite some time looking at labels that I could not find one that had no gluten. Do they make ice cream without gluten. If so can you recamend a TASTY brand for our family to try......thanks.

Myself-Age 25....I have had symptoms since at least 1998 if not since infancy (was diagnosed with malnutrition as a small child)...Positive results with gluten free diet!

Hannah-Age 5.....Has symptoms....Inconclusive blood tests....Positive diet response to both gluten free and lactose free!

Grace-Age 1.....Born at 29 weeks due to me having celiac....Has reflux and a feeding tube.

Husband-Not Celiac......has found that he does feel better when not eating allot of gluten.....is gluten free at home.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I always liked Breyer and it doesn't have alot of ingredients.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

Guest nini

Edy's has a list of their gluten-free flavors on their website, you can request a list from Mayfield as well, Publix grocery stores have quite a few flavors of their Publix brand that are gluten-free... which brands are in the stores near you and maybe someone can help you with specific flavors.

I always liked Breyer and it doesn't have alot of ingredients.

Oh yeah forgot about breyers.....but I am sorry to say I and my husband don't like it much. Maybe it's the lack of preservatives....lol.

Myself-Age 25....I have had symptoms since at least 1998 if not since infancy (was diagnosed with malnutrition as a small child)...Positive results with gluten free diet!

Hannah-Age 5.....Has symptoms....Inconclusive blood tests....Positive diet response to both gluten free and lactose free!

Grace-Age 1.....Born at 29 weeks due to me having celiac....Has reflux and a feeding tube.

Husband-Not Celiac......has found that he does feel better when not eating allot of gluten.....is gluten free at home.

I like Haagen Dazs ... but I stick with the chocolate sorbet as I'm also dairy-free. The ones that have gluten are pretty obvious (cookies and cream, cookie dough, etc.), but they will mail you a list of their gluten-free ones.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

Edy's has a list of their gluten-free flavors on their website, you can request a list from Mayfield as well, Publix grocery stores have quite a few flavors of their Publix brand that are gluten-free... which brands are in the stores near you and maybe someone can help you with specific flavors.

Maybe we'll try Edy's.....we'll have to look at there list since the flavors I looked at didn't happen to be gluten free. Thanks. Our grocery stores are Target......WalMart.....HyVee.....and one more I can't think of.

I like Haagen Dazs ... but I stick with the chocolate sorbet as I'm also dairy-free. The ones that have gluten are pretty obvious (cookies and cream, cookie dough, etc.), but they will mail you a list of their gluten-free ones.

I'll have to look for that one to....I don't remember seeing that one but I havn't checked all the stores yet. I was looking mostly at strawberry.....butter pecon....and french vanilla. Thanks.

haagen dazs is the best in my opinion.

what brands did you look at?

i'm don't know of a brand taht doesn't have any gluten free ones/

There were a couple of generic ones....blue bunny.....breyers (gluten free but I don't like much)......Whitey's (localy made ice cream)....Eddy's (but I have now been informed there are gluten free flavors).....and a couple of others but I am not sure of the names.....I didn't look at the pint size ones since we we were looking for a family sized treat. Maybe I was just looking at the wrong flavors.....french vanilla....strawberry...and butter pecan.

What ingredient were you seeing that contained gluten? I'm just curious because those flavors would seem safe.

Wheat.....Wheat Flower......and one said barley

Some of them had wheat listed on the allergy info

I did a search on Edy's flavor finder by gluten-free and this is what came up

The following flavor(s) match your search criteria.

Grand Ice Cream

Andes® Cool Mint⦣8222;?

Butter Pecan

Cherry Chocolate Chip

Cherry Vanilla

Chocolate

Chocolate Caramel Swirl

Chocolate Chip

Chocolate Fudge Sundae

Coffee

Double Vanilla

Dulce de Leche

Espresso Chip

French Vanilla

Fudge Swirl

Fudge Tracks

Mint Chocolate Chip

Neapolitan

Nestlé® Butterfinger®

Nestlé® Turtles®

Peanut Butter Cup

Real Strawberry

Rocky Road

Root Beer Float

Spumoni

Toffee Bar Crunch

Ultimate Caramel Cup⦣8222;?

Vanilla

Vanilla Bean

Vanilla Chocolate

Carb Benefit

Butter Pecan

Chocolate

Chocolate Chip

Mint Chocolate Chip

Vanilla Bean

No Sugar Added

Butter Pecan

Chocolate

Fudge Tracks

Mint Chocolate Chip

Neapolitan

Triple Chocolate

Vanilla

Slow Churned® Ice Cream

Almond Praline

Butter Pecan

Caramel Delight

Cherry Chocolate Chip

Chocolate

Chocolate Chip

Chocolate Fudge Chunk

Coffee

Eggnog (Holiday)

French Vanilla

Fudge Tracks

Mint Chocolate Chip

Mocha Almond Fudge

Neapolitan

Orange & Cream (Summer)

Peanut Butter Cup

Peppermint

Pumpkin (Holiday)

Raspberry Chip Royale

Rocky Road

Strawberry

Vanilla

Vanilla Bean

Vanilla Chocolate

Slow Churned® No Sugar Added Ice Cream

Butter Pecan

Caramel Chocolate Swirl

Chocolate

Chocolate Chip

Chocolate Fudge

Coffee

French Vanilla

Fudge Tracks

Mint Chocolate Chip

Mocha Almond Fudge

Neapolitan

Triple Chocolate

Vanilla

Vanilla Bean

Vanilla Chocolate Swirl

Fat Free / No Sugar Added Ice Cream

Chocolate Fudge

Raspberry Vanilla Swirl

Vanilla

Vanilla Chocolate Swirl

Dibs®

Caramel with Chocolaty Coating

Chocolate with Chocolaty Coating

Mint with Chocolaty Coating

Peanut Butter with Chocolaty Coating

Strawberry with Chocolaty Coating

Toffee Almond with Almond Chocolaty Coating

Vanilla with Chocolaty Coating

Fat Free Frozen Yogurt

Black Cherry Vanilla Swirl

Caramel Praline Crunch

Chocolate

Strawberry

Vanilla

Vanilla Chocolate Swirl

Sherbet

Berry Rainbow

Key Lime

Orange Cream

Raspberry

Strawberry

Swiss Orange

Tropical Rainbow

Fruit Bars

Creamy Coconut

Grape

Lemonade

Lime

Orange & Cream

Peach

Strawberry

Strawberry-Banana Smoothie

Tangerine

Tropical Smoothie

Variety Pack (Grape, Cherry, Tropical)

Variety Pack (Lime, Strawberry & Wildberry)

Variety Pack No Sugar Added (Black Cherry, Strawberry-Kiwi, Mixed Berry)

Variety Pack No Sugar Added (Strawberry, Tangerine & Raspberry)

Wild Berry

THANKS!!! :) That looks Great!

do you have Mayfield Ice Cream where you live?

Not that I recall.....I live in eastern Iowa.

Guest ~jules~
too bad, they've got some great gluten-free flavors

Strange that this came up today, I was at baskin robbins today with my kids, do they have any gluten free? I asked the girl at the counter for a nutrition list, she handed me a brand that was wheat free can you trust that or not? I have a number to call, but if anyone here knows that would be easier. Omg, I want a banana split soo bad, thats one of my missed items....

Not that I recall.....I live in eastern Iowa.

We should get together! I also live in eastern Iowa. The Quad-Cities to be exact!

Shannon

Also, isn't just the plain vanilla, chocolate, etc. of the Walmart Great Value brand gluten free?

We should get together! I also live in eastern Iowa. The Quad-Cities to be exact!

Shannon

Also, isn't just the plain vanilla, chocolate, etc. of the Walmart Great Value brand gluten free?

Kewl....we live in Wheatland IA....but I have also lived in Bettendorf and Davenport. I grew up in Grand Mound and DeWitt. I think the GV brand in vanilla is gluten free but I get tired of just plain ol vanilla....come to think of it I don't recall seeing the GV brand....I must have overlooked it....I was at the one on Elmore. Maybe we should get together sometime. We have a almost 5 year old and almost 1 year old...both girls. We think our oldest is celiac but her blood work was neg.

I get Turkey Hill ice cream, Wegmans has a listing of gluten-free ice creams and I recommend the Peanut Butter cup, and my personal favorite although pricey...Hagen Daz Creme Burlee. I only eat a few spoonfuls at a time since a pint is almost as much as some brands gallons.

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif