Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RiceGuy

Substitute For Potatoes!

I was looking up something and ran into a reference to a root vegetable that seems a lot like a potato, only it isn't from the nightshade family. It's called "Corm". The description makes it sound like it would taste similar to potato, only somewhat sweeter. Might this be a good alternative to the common potato? I'm thinking it is! That would be so great, as it would mean being able to have "mashed potatoes" of a sort. Apparently it is what Hawaiian poi is made with.

Anyone have experience with this one?

Here's a link (second one down the page)

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/vege1.htm

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I believe the vegetable is called "taro". Corm is the part of the plant it is--sort of a large root. (I think) :blink:

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Guest Robbin
:) Hey Riceguy, thanks, will check this out. Also, cooked, mashed and buttered cauliflower is pretty good. Get it really mushy and mash well. Season well and it is almost as good too. :)

Cassava is another root that is used like potato. You can get it in some large grocery stores in the "exotic" section. I haven't fixed it my self, but once when I was in Venezuala they served it mashed and it was good. You could even buy "chips" made from sliced cassava, but I didn't buy them.

That was a very interesting site.

Valda

Enterolab results: ...two genes for gluten intolerance ...casein intolerance

other sensitivities: corn, eggs, soy, potato, tapioca

Hypoglycemic

Sensitivity to high EMFs [electromagnetic frequency] (limits my time in front of the computer)

Living a healthier, happier life.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.Psalm 139: 9,10

:) Hey Riceguy, thanks, will check this out. Also, cooked, mashed and buttered cauliflower is pretty good. Get it really mushy and mash well. Season well and it is almost as good too. :)

That's an interesting idea. Never thought of it. Usually I eat cauliflower as close to raw as I can. It does get mushy quickly, though what seasoning would make it more "potatoey"?

Taro might be the proper term, but it seems it may be more commonly called "dasheen". Anyway, the neat thing about it is that the starch is the same type as in the ordinary potato, unlike most of the other types of roots. Sweet potatoes and such have insoluble starch, where as dasheens and ordinary potatoes have a water soluble starch. Which helps bring me to another favorite of mine Potato Chips! If the starch is the same, then why wouldn't they work for chips and fries? Sure they would be a bit sweet, but that might taste just as yummy.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

I've seen these at my local grocery store--

http://www.terrachips.com/products/tc_taro.php

Haven't tried them, and don't know their gluten-free status...

I have had cauliflower mashed--it's very good! I just cooked it until it was very soft, and made it just like I would mashed potatoes. It's an old Atkin's diet trick!

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Cassava is another root that is used like potato. You can get it in some large grocery stores in the "exotic" section. I haven't fixed it my self, but once when I was in Venezuala they served it mashed and it was good. You could even buy "chips" made from sliced cassava, but I didn't buy them.

That was a very interesting site.

Yeah I was thinking about cassava, though the texture seems too different to make it convincing. I'd guess the chips would turn out less crispy, but I could be wrong. I just know cassava from tapioca pudding, which is sorta like gelatin in consistency.

I've seen these at my local grocery store--

http://www.terrachips.com/products/tc_taro.php

Haven't tried them, and don't know their gluten-free status...

I have had cauliflower mashed--it's very good! I just cooked it until it was very soft, and made it just like I would mashed potatoes. It's an old Atkin's diet trick!

The dasheen would be gluten-free from what I have read. Only wheat grasses would actually have the true "gluten" that we avoid. Even oat gluten isn't close enough to be a problem for most the way wheat gluten is, though allergies and CC is still an issue. The "gluten" in corn isn't really gluten in the true sense, but it is a protein with some similar properties.

Here's a nice list of vegetables, and the families they belong to:

http://www.calgaryallergy.ca/Articles/English/botanical.htm

Keep in mind that I'm a horrendously picky eater.

I grew up in Hawai'i and have eaten Taro in a multitude of forms. It has a very distinct, strong flavor. I personally don't like it. The Taro chips though, are not that bad.

If you do like it though you also may want to check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breadfruit

Its much more potato-like. I personally don't like many root vegetables.

Elonwy

Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05

Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05

gluten-free since 7/23/05

Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

I boil diced daikon, but the result is more like turnip than like potatoes in texture.

When I want something Central or South American, I steam semi ripe ripe plantains, but you do have to be in the mood for something banana-like. Yuca can also be boiled or fried.

Nothing

You can also try Jicama (pronounced hick a ma). It is white like a potato and is great shreded in salads also.

Rusla

Asthma-1969

wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980

Multiple food, environmental allergies

allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha

Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975

fibromyalgia-1995

egg allergy-1997

msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972

Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease

gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005

Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005

Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)

Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.