Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My problem first began on March 24th 2005. I thought I had the flu. No matter what I ate, it made me feel ill.

I began to keep a food diary and within 3 months I worked out that I could relieve my symptoms my minimising my intake of fructose and by eliminating sorbitol.

For the next 9 months, I was on a fructose restrictive diet, but I was still able to enjoy honey, bananas, nuts, cheese, yoghurt, salmon and oil and use psylliym husks as a bulking agent when I needed to. However, in March this year and particularly from July, all the aforementioned foods plus wheat, were bothering me and in the past month, I had been eating only rice, chicken, fish (all boiled) and green vegetables.

I had been taking statins (cholesterol lowering drugs) for the past 4-5 ears (since the age of 50), and on August 20th this year, decided I would stop taking them.

For the first 26 days it made no difference. In fact I felt worse.

It has now been 29 days since I stopped my daily dose of statins.

Yesterday and today I have eaten chocolate, potato crisps, sultanas, oranges, cream biscuits, caramel pudding, mince meat, bread, pasta and any other food you might care to imagine.

I have had no food intolerance symptoms.

The relief and joy that I feel is tempered by the knowledge that all of you must continue with your own battles. Besides, celebrations in the past have often been shortlived.

Although I am cautiously optimistic about the future, I now know that these statins impacted on my liver/intestines in such a profound way that my body was no longer able to digest and absorb many foods. As my body continues the "washout" of the effects of the statins, my tolerances towards foods continues to improve.

I will post this news on other forums and will hopefully continue to contribute something relevant in the future.

May you all continue to find the strength to carry on with your struggles.

Cheers

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My problem first began on March 24th 2005. I thought I had the flu. No matter what I ate, it made me feel ill.

I began to keep a food diary and within 3 months I worked out that I could relieve my symptoms my minimising my intake of fructose and by eliminating sorbitol.

For the next 9 months, I was on a fructose restrictive diet, but I was still able to enjoy honey, bananas, nuts, cheese, yoghurt, salmon and oil and use psylliym husks as a bulking agent when I needed to. However, in March this year and particularly from July, all the aforementioned foods plus wheat, were bothering me and in the past month, I had been eating only rice, chicken, fish (all boiled) and green vegetables.

I had been taking statins (cholesterol lowering drugs) for the past 4-5 ears (since the age of 50), and on August 20th this year, decided I would stop taking them.

For the first 26 days it made no difference. In fact I felt worse.

It has now been 29 days since I stopped my daily dose of statins.

Yesterday and today I have eaten chocolate, potato crisps, sultanas, oranges, cream biscuits, caramel pudding, mince meat, bread, pasta and any other food you might care to imagine.

I have had no food intolerance symptoms.

The relief and joy that I feel is tempered by the knowledge that all of you must continue with your own battles. Besides, celebrations in the past have often been shortlived.

Although I am cautiously optimistic about the future, I now know that these statins impacted on my liver/intestines in such a profound way that my body was no longer able to digest and absorb many foods. As my body continues the "washout" of the effects of the statins, my tolerances towards foods continues to improve.

I will post this news on other forums and will hopefully continue to contribute something relevant in the future.

May you all continue to find the strength to carry on with your struggles.

Cheers

Hello, I am so happy for you that you may have found the cause of your distress. Not every med works for everyone and some do cause side effects that don't go away with time. I do however want to caution you that for many gluten intolerance is a delayed reaction. For some it takes 3 to 5 days to feel the effect of a glutening. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you and hope the challenge you are doing shows that it was the statins all along.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Oh, how JEALOUS I am at the relief you must feel!!! I have been looking for answers and finding none for so long....I can only dream of that feeling.

Good luck to you, and I hope your symptoms continue to improve.

Toni

Casein free since June 2006.

Gluten free since August 2006

Egg and Soy free since October 2006.

Diagnosis of IBS May 2006.

Diagnosis of Fibromyalgia September 2006.

Negative biopsy and blood tests.

EnterLab results:

Gluten intolerance

Egg intolerance

Soy intolerance

HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,5) which means I have one celiac gene and one sensitivity gene.

Mother of three special boys. (and not just because of their dx's)

Married 13 years to a guy who wishes we weren't all so "special!"

Thank you both for your good wishes.

Its been about 3 weeks since my disovery and I've eaten everything under the sun without a reaction.

I hope all of you can find answers to your problems. Without wishing to understate the gravity of your issues, sometimes, the answer can be so surprisingly simple.

I'm also glad to know you are getting relief, and off the meds too. That's always a good thing whenever it can be done. I just thought I'd chime in to suggest prunes as just one of many ways to naturally lower cholesterol. Here's a link to some excellent info on it: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=f...ce&dbid=103

That site is one place I find continuously useful. I'm sure you'll find plenty of interesting articles about cholesterol by typing that into their search engine.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Thanks Riceguy,

I won't try prunes just yet because I'm still afraid of sorbitol (prunes are loaded with it). But in a couple of months I will give it a go.

At present my cholesterol lowering regime consists of:

Freshly ground flaxseed sprinkled on cereal each morning. Three fish oil capsules a day. Cinnamon powder sprinkled on dessert (or tea). Psyllium husks before most meals.

I'm also wondering if I should be taking Lecithin.