Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

myserenityprayer

The Truth About Mcdonald's Fries

Okay so was I a moron?

Yesterday my boyfriend and I drove upstate to the NY Renassance Fair which was a ton of fun. I planned ahead and packed my own lunch in a cooler which we kept in the car. While my boyfriend ate the gigantic turkey legs and saugages on sticks, I starved. I know I could have walked back to the car but it was so far away and I just didn't want to do it. I packed some homemade trail mix in my pocket book which I was able to snack on all day but then I thought it would be safe to get some popcorn and a chocolate covered banana. I was totally fine. Then on the way home after being stuck in traffic for 4 hours we stopped at McDonalds. For some reason I thought I heard that their fries were okay. I have been eating so healthy for over a month I just had to have them. I normally wouldn't even eat fries if I was able to have gluten. But being in the car for 4 hours in bumper to bumper traffic trying to make it through Manhatten was hair pullingly (made up word) frustrating. I thought I was safe. I woke up this morning beyond bloated and had some cramps. Are McDonald's fries safe? I probaly should have asked that before I ate them. Maybe it was something else I ate. But what is the truth about the fries at McDonalds? Gluten or Gluten free?

marissa

.be the change you wish to see in the world.

gluten free since august 3, 2006

soy free since september 9, 2006

positive blood test august 2, 2006

positive biopsy august 10, 2006

diagnosed with hoshimoto's hypothyroidism in 4th grade

diagnosed with PCOS sometime in high school

"genetically" extremely high cholesterol and tricyclycerides

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

They tested them and proved that they are gluten-free. However, there is a high risk of cc in a fast food restaurant.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

I'm sure there wasn't any way to check them while you were there, but those turkey legs and sausages were very likely gluten-free.

richard

Even though the fries have tested in a clinical labortory to be gluten-free I have never eaten them. Why? Because they were not made in a lab. They were made by teenagers who have no clue about cc. I am just too scared to eat the fries :ph34r: When we go I only get a coke and the apple dippers with carmel, they are very good! I hope you feel better soon.

Hez

I'm sure there wasn't any way to check them while you were there, but those turkey legs and sausages were very likely gluten-free.

richard

I have eaten turkey legs at amusment parks. Would there be any reason for them to have gluten? I know the sausages might have more room for error, but aren't the turkey legs a safe bet as long as other glutenous food is not cooked alongside it?

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

Frist of McDondals own gluten statement linked fomr thier page states the falvoring used in the fires does include decteable amounts of gluten. So lets just make sure we are clear on that. The question was does the gluten make it to final serving of the fries is HOTLY debated, and frankly, IMO, pointless.

On this board there are countless stories form McD's employees of them dropping pies, onion rings, and etc in to the fries with the fries. There are countless stories of ppl getting sick eating there fries (including my son.).

There are also a few stories form ppl that ate there and had no reaction.

When ever you eat out you are taking a big risk, eating a fastfood place like McD's increases that risk by a large amount.

Personaly, I will never let my son eat thier fries, they have a known gluten source in them, and their record of CC stands on its own as a major warning.

- Vincent -

Yeah, I would have to say that even if the seasoning was safe, the CC risk is HUGE! Whenever we go out for fast food, I opt for Wendy's baked potato and chili. I have been told that some wendy's chains are safe, but you need to ask if they cook anything else with the fries. I personally prefer OreIda fries or homemade potato wedges better (yummier and healthier!). Good luck :)

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

I eat them and have no problem. But it all depends on your sensitivity to gluten and whether you want to take a risk or not. And it depends on what Wendy's you go to, some may have dedicated fryers but you'd have to ask.

I have eaten turkey legs at amusment parks. Would there be any reason for them to have gluten? I know the sausages might have more room for error, but aren't the turkey legs a safe bet as long as other glutenous food is not cooked alongside it?

The concern I had with the turkey legs was the sauce they put on it. I don't know if they put any seasoning on them but the ones they had there were sort of glossy looking. Of course I had more will power holding back from a giant turkey leg than delicious french fries. I'm never having McDonald's again, no mattter how long the car ride is!!

marissa

.be the change you wish to see in the world.

gluten free since august 3, 2006

soy free since september 9, 2006

positive blood test august 2, 2006

positive biopsy august 10, 2006

diagnosed with hoshimoto's hypothyroidism in 4th grade

diagnosed with PCOS sometime in high school

"genetically" extremely high cholesterol and tricyclycerides