This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Hair Thread

CarlaB

CarlaB Enthusiast

We'll have to take our hair comments over here ladies (gentlemen are welcome, too).

Lynn, I know what you mean about pink hair .... when you're over 40 you just can't look like you're trying to hard.

I had mine dark red (looked brownish) underneath and chunky blonde on the top layers. I never got more compliments on hair color than I did then!! All from women, however ... now that it's very light blonde, it's the men who like it. ;) But, what's bothering me is that I'm trying to grow it out and it looks so damaged. The lady who colors it does not color the ends, but I thought if I had her darken it to my natural dark blonde (I don't think I have any gray) I could just highlight a bit around my face ... the lady who colors it tells me Morgan's hair is a little darker than my natural color (for those who've seen Morgan's posts -- MorganB).

The other choice would be to go back to the highlights with the red underneath.

Feel free to hijack the thread for hair advice of your own, I don't think I could stand a thread being all about me!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Robbin

:lol: I hear you on that one--once you color for many years, you just never know what is under there!

I have the same problem, hairloss. The really bad thing is that it is sooooo long there is no one to blame for hair all over except me, lol. I donated three ponytails 15 inches long in the past two years, so it is shorter now-to waist when stretched out, but it grows too fast to keep in a short cut. Now, nails, that is a whole 'nuther problem, lol :o

Guest ~jules~

Ugh, carla whd you bring this up :blink: lol, I'm getting white! NO not grey which would blend better they are gleaming white hairs! I have very thick long redish hair naturally curly, its like my trademark, and now its turning white AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAahhhhhhhhhhhhhh....I'm going to dye it I just have to find my color somewhere...

Ursa Major Collaborator

Good thing I was always happy with my hair color (it used to be strawberry blonde, now it is more auburn). I never had the urge to color it. And grey hair doesn't run in my family, so I don't have to worry about that (at least not yet). I have six brothers and a sister, ranging in age from 42 to 54, and none of them have grey hair or are going bald.

And it's so thick, that it's like shearing a sheep when cutting it (which I do myself, including layering, with somebody cutting it straight in the back, I hate people touching my head).

But Janet, my 21-year-old has been coloring and streaking and highlighting her hair forever, and nobody knows what her color really is any more (I think light brown, at least that's what it was before she started coloring it). I am glad that my other kids are happy with their hair just the way it is.

Guest ~jules~
Good thing I was always happy with my hair color (it used to be strawberry blonde, now it is more auburn). I never had the urge to color it. And grey hair doesn't run in my family, so I don't have to worry about that (at least not yet). I have six brothers and a sister, ranging in age from 42 to 54, and none of them have grey hair or are going bald.

And it's so thick, that it's like shearing a sheep when cutting it (which I do myself, including layering, with somebody cutting it straight in the back, I hate people touching my head).

But Janet, my 21-year-old has been coloring and streaking and highlighting her hair forever, and nobody knows what her color really is any more (I think light brown, at least that's what it was before she started coloring it). I am glad that my other kids are happy with their hair just the way it is.

Ursula! this is wonderful, I finally found someone else who can't stand having their head touched! It really bothers me, major invasion of my personal space...lol..

Ursa Major Collaborator
Ursula! this is wonderful, I finally found someone else who can't stand having their head touched! It really bothers me, major invasion of my personal space...lol..

I heard that in France they massage your head before they cut your hair, I think I'd slap them! Which would be an instant reaction, I'd feel like being attacked. Ugh, how awful. :blink:

Guest ~jules~
I heard that in France they massage your head before they cut your hair, I think I'd slap them! Which would be an instant reaction, I'd feel like being attacked. Ugh, how awful. :blink:

I'm half french :blink: Seriously though I don't think I could stand it! Its just known as one of those quirky things about me, don't touch my head!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eKatherine Rookie
Ugh, carla whd you bring this up :blink: lol, I'm getting white! NO not grey which would blend better they are gleaming white hairs! I have very thick long redish hair naturally curly, its like my trademark, and now its turning white AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAahhhhhhhhhhhhhh....I'm going to dye it I just have to find my color somewhere...

As far as I'm concerned, the only true auburns on the market are in the Nice'n'Easy product line. My natural color is darkest brown, but it colors to a medium auburn with the natural light auburn shade, which looks less harsh with my pale skin and freckles at my age. I'm about 75% gray around the edges but still only sparklies on top.

Carla, if you want to improve the condition of your hair, you'll have to treat it more kindly. It sounds like your stylist is doing the best she can with getting you that light blond color, but bleach is just plain harsh. Getting back your natural color can be tricky when you're that blond, definitely a job for a pro.

debmidge Rising Star

Several years ago I used to color my MIL's hair with professionalproducts and my beautican shared a hint with me....use a product called "Grey Magic" drops (drop several into the mix). The beautician used this to the dye mixture to keep the color holding onto the gray hair, as gray hair can sometimes be color resistive. There might be other products out there that do the same thing or better ones by now.

Several years ago I also used to color my friends hair. I used Ash blonde color; then a week later I'd "frost" the top and sides with pale blonde to make her "sparkle." She was in her early sixties and needed this type of coloring for a "fresh" look. Anyway, she owned a long, shaggy auburn wig. My natural color is medium blonde and I highlight it from time to time when I am in mood; I wore her Auburn wig home that night and it was dark out. I entered apt. Mike is dozing on couch watching a sports game; lighting is low. I told him I colored my hair He took one look at the wig and cried "What did you do to your beautiful blonde hair?" (Gee, I never knew he felt that way). I convinced him that Yep, I colored my hair. He got very emotional about it; then I said well I guess it was a mistake to do it and I pulled the wig off. I can't believe the relief he had to see that it wasn't permanent.

pixiegirl Enthusiast

I had blonde hair until I was in my 20's then it stated to darken which is when I started to highlight it. I'm 51 and I still do have it highlighted about every 8 weeks. I too have an issue with thinning hair. When you have this problem you need to figure out if its just breakage from over processing or if you actually are losing it at the hair follicle. I sadly have both. I'm now getting less hair foiled but I'm losing the number of hairs I have on my head and I hate that!

I don't think its related to coloring my hair at all, I get it foiled and very little if any ever gets on my scalp. I think its aging and hormones but if anyone has any advice for what to do about thinning hair I'll take it.

:unsure: Thanks, Susan

CarlaB Enthusiast

Pixie, I'm with you, really blonde till my 20's, then with each kid it got darker. Finally, it was my husband who asked me to highlight it, and I've been playing with color ever since.

eKatherine, you are right, my stylist is doing the best she can! She told me no blow dryers, wash no more than 2 or 3 times per week, and use salon stying products. She says it's in good shape, but my hair tends to be frizzy and I know it's a lot tamer when it's not being bleached. Is color any easier on it than bleach?

As far as gray, my mom's side (the one with celiac symptoms) has premature gray -- early 20's. Since mine's not gray, I must get it from my dad's side, they start lightening up in their late 60's, but it doesn't look gray, it just looks lighter. I don't think I have gray ... I had someone different color my hair a couple years ago because we had moved and he was looking through my roots because he was so in shock he couldn't find any gray ... maybe he was just pulling my leg ...

I have thick hair, so I can't give any suggestions on thinning hair. I do get handfuls of hair when I wash it, but that's only when it's long that I notice. Last time I got my hair cut, she said I had baby hairs growing in. I've only had that happen back when I was having kids and it started growing back in after I had lost some. So, I think the gluten-free diet is making it even thicker. I'd check thryoid ... I think that can cause hair loss.

Guhlia Rising Star

Oh my gosh, Ursula and Jules, I am funny about having my head touched too. I always thought that I was the only one. I cut my own hair as well because I can't stand having someone else touch it. I'm a horrible hair stylist, so I just shave it with a clippers. Hence the short haircut...

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I used 'Sun In' as a teen, and it never stopped working <_< I was left with strawberry blonde hair on the top and my natural dark brown underneath. It looked so strange so I started coloring to get back to my natural color, should have shaved my head instead :D I also started to go gray in my teens, hello celiac, and continued coloring into my forties. When my hair started falling out also I was not a happy camper and when I cut it short it make it even more obvious. After I eliminated ALL gluten my hair stopped falling out and I even have some growing back brown instead of white. I would love to be able to color it again but for me it is not worth the risk so I am finally able to see my natural color again, in a dark room with no bright lights to shine off the white. But it is soo thick again I don't mind all the white, if I write that a thousands times maybe I'll believe it. I don't mind the white, I don't mind the white well only 997 more times to go :lol:

lonewolf Collaborator

This is kind of interesting to read about everyone elses' hair. Add me to the club of people who don't like their heads touched.

I had perfectly straight, white blond hair as a child. It started getting darker at about age 6-7 and when I hit puberty got curly. Now it's REALLY curly (think Shirley Temple), fairly thin and getting a few gray hairs around the temples. I'm 43 as of a couple of weeks ago, so I think I'm too young for the gray. My older sister was way more gray at my age, so I should be thankful. My hair now is kind of a medium brown, with some honey colored highlights from summer sun.

I've never done anything to my hair except wash, condition and cut it. I've been afraid that anything else I do might make more fall out. (BTW - I've been on thyroid meds for over 10 years, but hair is still thin.) What do you all think? Does coloring or anything else make more fall out? It would be kind of fun to do something different, although I'm not too adventurous.

CarlaB Enthusiast

I'll only mess with color with an experience hair stylist who really specializes in it. It's not worth the risk. I like variety and trying new things. The lady who colors my hair has said no to me before on things that wouldn't work. You want that kind of experience.

Funny all of you who don't like your head touched, I love it when someone else washes my hair ... especially when they really massage my head while they're doing it.

debmidge Rising Star

For many years I did my own hair with professional products as I could not afford a professional..... I guess if I made a mistake I could only blame myself. Apparently I must have a talent for it as I have done a lot of heads of friends over the past 20+ years. It started when I was a teen - we'd have "up all night" parties and do our hair. My friend whom I did the frosting on lives kind of far away now and she said that no professional is doing to her hair what I did. She was on disability at the time when I used to do her hair and could not afford going to a salon for coloring. I am glad I was able to do something for her that she got some happiness from.

happygirl Collaborator

I'm the exact opposite of you ladies!!!!

I love having my hair played with, my head massaged, etc etc. When I was a little girl my mom used to "play with my hair" which involved me sitting next to her and her running her fingers through my hair (like a brush). It was so calming and I still love having it done. My husband even "plays with my hair" when I'm having a rough day.

One of my favorite things about going to get my hair cut is having someone else wash my hair!!!!!!

jerseyangel Proficient

Yea Laura, I'm with you on that! I love having my hair done. :D

jerseyangel Proficient
Laura... yepper e bob... me too!

Celia-- :ph34r:

(See above)

Michi8 Contributor
I'll only mess with color with an experience hair stylist who really specializes in it. It's not worth the risk. I like variety and trying new things. The lady who colors my hair has said no to me before on things that wouldn't work. You want that kind of experience.

Funny all of you who don't like your head touched, I love it when someone else washes my hair ... especially when they really massage my head while they're doing it.

I like having my hair done. I usually enjoy having it washed, and getting a massage, but there is nothing worse then when the hairstylist isn't massaging firmly enough...the touch can just be annoying...the feeling is kind of like having restless leg syndrome. :wacko: Usually is worse after having the colour rinsed out, and my scalp is feeling a little irritated.

Michelle

happygirl Collaborator

ok, good, i thought maybe i was the only one! :)

speaking of that, since I just accepted a new JOB (a great one at that!) and moving, i need to schedule a hair app't so I 'look my best'

but just a cut...don't want to risk a big change that could be a disaster. try explaining that one to a new boss....("Well, it wasn't supposed to look like this")

debmidge Rising Star

Do any of you break out in hives or rashes after coloring? My SIL has that problem after she goes to salon to get her hair done. For several days later she has I guess an allergic reaction from the dye.

When I colored my hair at home, the fun part was experimenting with shades: trying different combinations of neutrals with ashes and coming up with a "custom" color that no one else will have. I would make a note as to the proportion of the colors and after a while it was the only toner I was using. All my results were great and no one was the wiser that I did it myself. I don't recommend this to everyone of course...as I said I must have some inborn talent for this. But don't do this at home (as the commercials say).

Coloring your hair requires frequent beauty salon visits to keep it up, and frankly for many years it was a luxury I could not afford.

Under my direction many years ago, I used to have my husband Mike frost my hair. At that time I went to get my hair cut and the beautician asked if I was "seeing" someone else...I explained that getting frostings at salon were too pricey and my husband was doing it. She wanted to know if he would work for her -- that is until I told her it wasn't his occupation.....

These days I get "foils" done at a salon and unfortunately I can't do it myself and don't think hubby can lend a hand on this. But I'm just itching to do it myself. From years of being on a severe budget I can't bring myself to pay the full salon price for foiling. But I do it; not as often as my beautician thinks I should however. I am always stretching it from touch up to touch up.

eKatherine Rookie
I have thick hair, so I can't give any suggestions on thinning hair. I do get handfuls of hair when I wash it, but that's only when it's long that I notice. Last time I got my hair cut, she said I had baby hairs growing in. I've only had that happen back when I was having kids and it started growing back in after I had lost some. So, I think the gluten-free diet is making it even thicker. I'd check thryoid ... I think that can cause hair loss.

I have always had thick hair, though it is not as thick as it used to be.

It is normal for it to seem like we're losing lots of hair. If you captured all the lost strands over a day or a week and counted them up, you might very well find that it falls within the normal range.

It's also true that this is the shedding season, so you should expect extra normal shedding for a while.

I'm the exact opposite of you ladies!!!!

I love having my hair played with, my head massaged, etc etc. When I was a little girl my mom used to "play with my hair" which involved me sitting next to her and her running her fingers through my hair (like a brush). It was so calming and I still love having it done. My husband even "plays with my hair" when I'm having a rough day.

One of my favorite things about going to get my hair cut is having someone else wash my hair!!!!!!

I avoid salons like the plague. I have very long hair, and none of them know how to treat it gently enough not to damage it.

debmidge Rising Star
I have very long hair, and none of them know how to treat it gently enough not to damage it.

Don't you find also that when you have long hair stylists seem to want to cut it down? I haven't found one yet that doesn't insist on chopping off 3 inches when I say "trim." I went to a salon once and wanted a long old fashioned, 1960's Jane Fonda shag. The stylist was older and knew those shag days; she cut my hair off into a "butch" style (I think she was a 'one-trick' pony). I cried all the way home as it took me a very long time to grow my hair.

eKatherine Rookie
Don't you find also that when you have long hair stylists seem to want to cut it down? I haven't found one yet that doesn't insist on chopping off 3 inches when I say "trim." I went to a salon once and wanted a long old fashioned, 1960's Jane Fonda shag. The stylist was older and knew those shag days; she cut my hair off into a "butch" style (I think she was a 'one-trick' pony). I cried all the way home as it took me a very long time to grow my hair.

Indeed, I trust no one. Even those with good intentions want to cut how much I "need" rather than how much I want. I trim my own hair now.

Archived