This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Waffles And Bread?

Adelle

Adelle Enthusiast

I tried to make waffles (sans recipe) this morning and failed miserably. I gave up after 2 hours. Does anyone hace a decent waffle-batter recipe?

My recent failure has made me a little nervous to just dive right in with trying to make bread. I don't have any recipes to start from!

I'm pretty poor, so BUYING a book of recipes won't be happening for a while, and I am having trouble seeing recipe sites on my sidekick (it's like a cell phone with a little keyboard) and I don't have a computer.

Any help would be appreciated..... By my tummy!!! Thanks u guys

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Adelle, what did you put into your batter?

eKatherine Rookie

Any standard waffle recipe should work with a gluten-free flour blend that is intended to substitute directly for wheat flour. I suggest if you're on a very tight budget and have no experience with cooking something that you not take a chance on wasting ingredients. Any library should have a good selection of cookbooks. I've even seen people copying recipes out of cookbooks while sitting in the cafe at Borders :unsure: but that takes a bit more nerve than I've got.

lonewolf Collaborator

I agree that a regular waffle recipe, using a gluten-free flour blend, should work. I make the recipe out of Betty Crocker, with gluten-free flour and egg substitute and it works great. I do add an extra 1-2 tsp. of oil though. The biggest problem I had at first was that they stuck, so I make sure to heat the waffle iron thoroughly before spraying on the non-stick spray (essential) and having enough oil in the batter.

GFBetsy Rookie

Actually, a while ago I had someone tell me that using non-stick spray (like Pam) on waffle irons actually damages the non-stick finish and makes things MORE likely to stick. So I stopped using it, and I was surprised to find that they come off just as easily (after the first couple). Pre-heating the waffle baker does help, and my waffle recipe might have more oil in it than yours, though.

I would second the library suggestion. Most libraries will even buy specific books that patrons request, so if your library doesn't have any gluten-free cookbooks yet, just ask for them. Especially check for Bette Hagman's Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread book.

Here's my waffle recipe, though. They're really good.

Gluten Free Waffles

3 eggs, separated

scant 1/4 c. sugar

1 3/4 c. milk

1/2 c. oil

2 c. featherlight mix

1/2 tsp. xanthan gum

1/2 tsp. salt

1 Tbs. baking powder

Beat egg whites until stiff. Slowly add sugar, until the whites form soft peaks. Beat together egg yolks, milk, and oil. In another bowl, mix featherlight mix, xanthan gum, salt, and baking powder. Mix milk mixture into flour. Fold the resulting mixture into the egg whites. Bake on a hot waffle iron. Keep waffles in a warm oven (with the door cracked open) until you are ready to eat. Any leftover waffles may be placed in Ziploc bags and frozen. They may then be reheated in the toaster.

recipe from www.eatingglutenfree.com

There's also a really good (and easy) bread recipe on this site.

lonewolf Collaborator
Actually, a while ago I had someone tell me that using non-stick spray (like Pam) on waffle irons actually damages the non-stick finish and makes things MORE likely to stick. So I stopped using it, and I was surprised to find that they come off just as easily (after the first couple). Pre-heating the waffle baker does help, and my waffle recipe might have more oil in it than yours, though.

Hmmm, interesting. The only thing that has damaged the finish on my waffle iron is scraping the waffle off when I haven't used NS spray. I only use the olive oil spray from Trader Joe's.

Adelle Enthusiast

I used a waffle batter recipe from some random cookbook. But I do not have a gluten free flour "mix". Here they seem to be $5-6/ 1 lb box. No friggin way. I have maseca, white rice flour, soy flour, potato starch, and tapioca flour. All for less than the cost of 1 box of "gluten free flour mix". I need to know what KIND of flour to mix. We can't afford bread mixes ($5/ loaf, no way), so I dunno what to do. The library has a "gluten free cookbook", which contained recipes that are always gluten free (chicken+rice+vegies etc). And our library said I could "donate" a book of my choice, but they don't just buy them if I request one.

Aaaaaack! I'm so frustrated!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFBetsy Rookie
I used a waffle batter recipe from some random cookbook. But I do not have a gluten free flour "mix". Here they seem to be $5-6/ 1 lb box. No friggin way. I have maseca, white rice flour, soy flour, potato starch, and tapioca flour. All for less than the cost of 1 box of "gluten free flour mix". I need to know what KIND of flour to mix. We can't afford bread mixes ($5/ loaf, no way), so I dunno what to do. The library has a "gluten free cookbook", which contained recipes that are always gluten free (chicken+rice+vegies etc). And our library said I could "donate" a book of my choice, but they don't just buy them if I request one.

Sorry . . . I use featherlight mix so often I forget the not everyone who's gluten-free uses it. It's a flour mix recipe created by Bette Hagman. Here's the recipe:

1 c. rice flour

1 c. corn starch

1 c. tapioca starch

1 Tbs. potato FLOUR (not potato starch)

I mix up 12 or 15 cups at a time and then just use it in place of "regular" flour in most recipes (but not breads). It costs between .60 and $1.00 per pound (depending on the cost of your individual starches/flours). More expensive than "normal" flour, but much cheaper than $5 per pound. Xanthan gum can be purchased at health food stores and most "Upscale" grocery stores that have a health food section. It is quite expensive (Bob's Red Mill runs about 13 dollars for 8 oz.) but you don't use a whole lot of it at a time (usually not more than 1 tsp. in most recipes). And you've really got to have it to help things stick together.

If you are looking for good gluten-free recipes (free) try Open Original Shared Link. If your library has free internet access (and most do, nowadays) you can log in and possibly even print recipes from there. Good luck!

Hmmm, interesting. The only thing that has damaged the finish on my waffle iron is scraping the waffle off when I haven't used NS spray. I only use the olive oil spray from Trader Joe's.

It could very well be that my recipe has more oil than yours . . . 1/2 c. is quite a bit for 2 cups of flour. But they are really good, and they don't stick (which frustrates me SO MUCH when I am making waffles :D ) so I don't worry too much about the fat content.

lonewolf Collaborator

I don't buy the pre-mixed gluten-free flour mixes either. They are way too expensive. I use a modification of Bette Hagman's basic mix. It works for everything I make. (Sometimes a little bean flour is good for some "spring" in certain baked goods, but this will work.) I buy the flours in bulk, so it costs just over $1 a pound.

3 C Br. Rice Flour

1 C Potato Starch

1/2 C Tapioca Starch

2-1/2 tsp. Xanthan Gum

Sift together 3 times and store in refrigerator.

I have also found that the gluten-free flours are a little drier, so I try to add liquid sweetener, like maple syrup, to recipes whenever possible, for at least part of the sugar.

GFBetsy Rookie

The mix lonewolf posted (a modification of Hagman's gluten-free mix, right?) is also a good one - just a little bit grittier becuase of the greater amount of rice flour. But I do have some recipes that I have tried with both featherlight mix and the other one where the "ricier" (is that a word? :lol: ) flour mix gives a better texture. It just depends on the recipe. In general, though, I think I would try the featherlight mix first - then if the finished product is too "spongy", try the gluten-free mix.

(Of course, this is all my personal opinion . . . and you are free to do whatever you want! :lol::lol: )

lonewolf Collaborator
The mix lonewolf posted (a modification of Hagman's gluten-free mix, right?) is also a good one - just a little bit grittier becuase of the greater amount of rice flour. But I do have some recipes that I have tried with both featherlight mix and the other one where the "ricier" (is that a word? :lol: ) flour mix gives a better texture. It just depends on the recipe. In general, though, I think I would try the featherlight mix first - then if the finished product is too "spongy", try the gluten-free mix.

(Of course, this is all my personal opinion . . . and you are free to do whatever you want! :lol::lol: )

You bring up a good point about the "gritty" factor. I get Lundberg Farms brown rice flour and it isn't nearly as gritty as other br. rice flours I've had. So my mix isn't usually gritty, but I've made it with different brands and it has been.

MallysMama Explorer

Adelle,

I'm totally with you on not buying the flour mixes. Waste of money in my opinion. I don't ever use anything except white rice flour and xanthan gum. (Find the finest rice flour you possibly can for things to turn out better.... Asian/Oriental markets have great flour!!)

My homemade pancake/waffle recipe that my mom made for me growing up:

In a two cup liquid measuring cup crack in 2 eggs and then fill to the 2 c. mark with Buttermilk.

Pour into large bowl. Add 2 Tbsp Oil, 2 Tbsp Sugar, 1 tsp Salt, 1/2 tsp baking soda and 2 tsp baking powder. Wisk very well. Then add 1 leveled cup of Rice Flour and wisk just till moistened. (Don't over mix.) Spray the waffle iron well!

I just made pancakes with this recipe 2 nights ago - oh so yummy!!! We had strawberries and whip cream on top.

Sharon1422 Newbie

I also agree with you. Im from Northern New Jersey I shop at the Shop Rite well I was shocked to see the price of a loaf of Gluten Free Bread there.......$10.49 Can you imagine that....

We are all better off making our own. It really upsets me to see how they take advantage of people that have to eat special. Its just not right.

What I've been doing is making my own waffles and might sound awful to some but I've been using the waffles has my bread also with a little creation.....what I do is cut up some tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic, cheese etc....I use olive oil and cook everything down except for cheese then I throw it in the batter and mix it all up and then rub waffle maker with a little bit of olive oil and make my waffles....Ya gotta try this its really good.....

I recently went on vacation and took some of my little creations with me just in case I couldnt find anything to eat....I ordered a cheeseburger without the bread of course and took out my waffles for the bread.

A couple at the next table wanted to order what I had.....well, then I had to explain...

I dont like any of the breads that are gluten free, so far I have not found any that really taste good.

They all have the same sandy taste and an after taste which I really dont care for.

Archived