Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Corkdarrr

Depression

So yesterday my moronic self ate some Doritos. Oops.

Then I got sick for a long while. And felt AWFUL. It's like involuntary aversion therapy!

Anwyays, I took some Ambien to ensure that I would sleep because I felt so awful. My headaches were on and off and I felt very nauseaus. The D stopped, but I also havent' had anything to drink since...probaby 10 hours at least.

So now this morning I feel still very crappy in a physical sense. But I also feel rather depressed. I really don't want to go to class. Or finish this assignment that will take me 5 minutes once I actually do it. I don't want to walk my poor dogs or do anything.

Usually aside from the D and vomiting, brain fog is my most noticable symptom. And that's been creeping back up to a constant lately, anyways. So I don't really feel any stupider than I did yesterday. Maybe a bit clumsier. But depression. I was pretty upset last nite, too, come to think of it - and not just because I was too ignorant to read hte label BEFORE I ate something. But I never considered depression as a direct side effect to being glutened - anyone else? :unsure:

-Courtney

Courtney - 25

Columbia, SC

Gluten-free since July 8, 2006

Casein-free since October 16, 2006

Went six weeks, and fell back into a deliciously painful world of cheese.

Casein-free (again and for serious this time) December 11, 2006

Stupid cheese addiction....2/07

Dx Hypothyroid in 1993

Dx Gluten & Casein Sensitive through Enterolab 10/06

Dx Adrenal *Exhaustion* 2/07

Originally from WI, I am still in denial over my newfound casein intolerance. I fear I will not be allowed back into the state if I can no longer eat cheese and drink milk. This could pose some trouble over holidays when I wish to visit my family. It also poses a problem involving the severe rage I feel when I have to throw away somebody's unfinished cheese sticks. That is so wrong.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm a new celiac and I am still in the process of reading Danna Korn's wheat-free worry-free book. She said the depression can be a symptom of celiac's for some people...so it is possible. However, she also said that once most people went on the gluten-free diet, their depression was gone....other than the ups and downs of trying to cope with this diet of course.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Britni

~Diagnosed with idiopathic autoimmune chronic hepatitus at age 7 (1992)

off medication and in remission since 2002

~Diagnosed with ulcerative colitus age 10 (1995)

on medication under control

~Diagnosed with Celiac's disease age 21, no symptoms (August 10, 2006)

been gluten free since September 6, 2006

In addition to a variety of other symptoms, gluten makes me extremely over sensitive and depressed. I spend at least a whole day crying, sometimes more. I stress about issues in my personal relationships (like my brother must hate me because he hasn't called me in a month) that really aren't there. I feel overwhelmed by even simple tasks if there's any obligation or deadline attached. At first, it's hard to recognize it for what it is, especially if I don't realize that I was glutened.

Strangely, before I went gluten-free my depression symptoms were way more aggressive. I didn't cry or mope. I felt really angry and was combative, negative, verbally abusive, etc. That's pretty much gone now except for rare instances. The "other depression" is new to me and I'm still working on coping methods. If I know that I've been glutened, I take Relacore. It helps with the depression/ desperation feelings and also keeps my hives to a minimum.

Thanks Girl Ninja (love the name,btw)

I call these spilled milk days - as in I WILL weep uncontrollably over spilled milk. And if it's really bad, well then my entire cow has just burst open.

I get that oversensitive thing...crying at commercials (and not even the ones that are supposed to be heartwarming), feeling ilke I'm being attacked when it's just a simple question..that sort of thing.

RelaCore...is this something you can get OTC or do you need a prescription?

This is so interesting because I've just never thought to attatch the immediate symptoms of depression with glutening. Hm.

-Courtney

Courtney - 25

Columbia, SC

Dx Hypothyroid in 1993

Originally from WI, I am still in denial over my newfound casein intolerance. I fear I will not be allowed back into the state if I can no longer eat cheese and drink milk. This could pose some trouble over holidays when I wish to visit my family. It also poses a problem involving the severe rage I feel when I have to throw away somebody's unfinished cheese sticks. That is so wrong.

Then I got sick for a long while. And felt AWFUL. It's like involuntary aversion therapy!

Anwyays, I took some Ambien to ensure that I would sleep because I felt so awful. My headaches were on and off and I felt very nauseaus. The D stopped, but I also havent' had anything to drink since...probaby 10 hours at least.

So now this morning I feel still very crappy in a physical sense. But I also feel rather depressed. I really don't want to go to class. Or finish this assignment that will take me 5 minutes once I actually do it. I don't want to walk my poor dogs or do anything.

Usually aside from the D and vomiting, brain fog is my most noticable symptom. And that's been creeping back up to a constant lately, anyways. So I don't really feel any stupider than I did yesterday. Maybe a bit clumsier. But depression. I was pretty upset last nite, too, come to think of it - and not just because I was too ignorant to read hte label BEFORE I ate something. But I never considered depression as a direct side effect to being glutened - anyone else? :unsure:

-Courtney

Big YES for me, it is one of the first signs I have gotten CC somewhere. Well that and falling over sideways :D For me it is a limited effect with the depression lifting in about 24 to 48 hours. Because for me it is a limited effect I do not medicate it in any way other than some chocolate and some me time. Try not to get down on yourself about the Doritios, think of it as a learning experience that almost all of us go through.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Courtney,

Yes, I get depressed, anxious, moody, even a little paranoid when glutened. I also feel "draggy"--like I'm not fully awake half the time! These symptoms, to me, are worse than the GI ones.

Make sure you get enough to drink--plenty of pure water!

Feel better soon :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Relacore is an otc cortisol blocker. It's marketed as a weight loss aide. I buy mine at Kroger because it's cheaper there than drug stores. Cortislim is about the same thing, but for me it doesn't work as well. I tried it because my doctor thought that my hives might be from stress. It helped with them, so I thought I had found the solution for a while. Eventually I ended up with my Celiac dx and figured out that's what was causing them. Relacore uses rice as a filler.

I also take Oil of Olay vitamins (the energy pack) and if I take 2 packs those days it seems to help. They're the greatest vitamins I've ever tried.

Oh yeah, and I eat a bunch of chocolate and ice cream and try to tell myself that crying is therapeutic. :rolleyes:

Relacore is an otc cortisol blocker. It's marketed as a weight loss aide. I buy mine at Kroger because it's cheaper there than drug stores. Cortislim is about the same thing, but for me it doesn't work as well. I tried it because my doctor thought that my hives might be from stress. It helped with them, so I thought I had found the solution for a while. Eventually I ended up with my Celiac dx and figured out that's what was causing them. Relacore uses rice as a filler.

I also take Oil of Olay vitamins (the energy pack) and if I take 2 packs those days it seems to help. They're the greatest vitamins I've ever tried.

Oh yeah, and I eat a bunch of chocolate and ice cream and try to tell myself that crying is therapeutic. :rolleyes:

Do you know if Relacore is okay for people with thyroid problems to take? Diet things usually have a disclaimer about people with thyroid and I was dx hypo almost 13 years ago. Just wondering...willing to try anything, ya' know?

Courtney - 25

Columbia, SC

Dx Hypothyroid in 1993

I also suffer from depression when I ingest gluten. I suffered horribly from it before I was diagnosed with celiac. Within a year of going gluten-free, I was able to stop all my meds and have not had a problem since (except when I get glutened, of course; and then it's pretty mild, comparatively).

Laurie :huh:

Positive blood test results

gluten-free since September 2001

Denver, Colorado

Hello Depression suffers:

Yes, I have symptoms of depression that are very similar to those you all are describing. Before diagnosis I was anxious, slightly paranoid and neurotic about things like leaving the stove on or my cat getting out. I can best describe it as a lack of a feeling of well being. This was very new to me because I have always been a particularily happy person. I always thought that I must have extra serotonin. Anyway, after diagnosis, I also notice a correlation with gluten exposure. My reactions to gluten used to be more severe than they are now, and I would cry and feel totally lost and do stupid things. One time I went to a restaurant with friends in a city that way 1.5 hours away I - Spaghetti factory. Yes, I should have known better than to eat in the spaghetti factory, but I was with friends and trying not to be a pain. Also, the restaurant handed my a computer print out with all their gluten free foods listed. I had a steak, green beans and a tomato and mozarella salad. Well, on the way home, I spaced out, ran out of gas, had to call AAA and get gas delivered to me on the side of the road, and then at home I misplaced my keys. All of this is extremely unusual for me, as I am typically functional! I am sure that gluten affects your cognitive state, reasoning, and mood. Part of it is frustration that we somehow screwed up, and part is chemical. Inflammatory cytokines make us feel bad, this, I think, is to get us to stay home and heal from infections and not expose others (from an evolutionary standpoint). Then there are neuroactive chemicals like amines, I don't know much about this. So, give yourself a break and realize that the depression is connected to the gluten and you will get better!

I also suffer from depression when I ingest gluten. I suffered horribly from it before I was diagnosed with celiac. Within a year of going gluten-free, I was able to stop all my meds and have not had a problem since (except when I get glutened, of course; and then it's pretty mild, comparatively).

Laurie :huh:

I hear ya, when i get glutened i feel like a big gray shadow consumes me for a couple of days...i get so gloomy and sad, and i don't want to go anywhere. I try to remember it's from gluten but sometimes it's just hard, and then i feel bad for my kids!

Gluten Free...negative blood results...absolutely positive diet results.

Dairy Free...absolutely positive diet results.

Egg Free...there goes another one...absolutely positive diet results.

Allergic to Codeine.

"Life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which ones may have gluten in them:)"

Not only do I get all depressed, but I get really clutzy and uncoordinated, too.

Then I feel depressed that I'm so clutzy!

Courtney - 25

Columbia, SC

Dx Hypothyroid in 1993

-Courtney

So do Doritos have gluten them in them. I don't know I don't eat them because of the MSG but I've heard alot of people eat them thinking they are safe. I thought we could just clarify that if was gluten.

Gail

Gluten Free since Jan. 06

Gluten intolerant. DQ 0301 DQ 0602

Lactose intolerant.

-Courtney

I do that too! I feel "down" and don't want to do anything. For me, it is a "normal" response to being glutened. If it is not PMS, then I have been glutened.

Infact, since going gluten-free, I have been able to stop all anxiety and depression meds. My doc is convinced that it was the gluten that messed with me so much! It has been a year, and I only feel that way when I get glutened.

EnteroLab test positive for gluten intolerence and 2 gluten intolerence and celiac genes

DQ2 and DQ3 sub type DQ7 in December 2005

Gluten-free since Enterolab test, December 2, 2005.

Lame Advertisement Test positive for gluten intolerence in Sept 2005.

THEN found out that my fathers mother had nontropical sprue, she passed away at 40 from (stomach) cancer, had holes in her intestines when they caught it. I had no idea....

Gail -

It is my understanding that the regular flavored Doritos are not gluten-free. In fact, they clearly list WHEAT on the back of the package.

However, I think that almost every other flavor of Doritos is okay, though. Weird, huh?

Further up in this thread somebody posted 'the chip list' and it says on there. And the other day I was in a gas station and I just picked up a few other flavors to see and none of them said anything about wheat.

Courtney

Courtney - 25

Columbia, SC

Dx Hypothyroid in 1993

Everyone,

Please do not eat Doritos. There are hidden glutens contained in them. The cause is cross contamination from the prosessing. Also, Celiac's is connected to depression. There are a couple of threads on the message board that contain a web address about this connection. If I come across it, I will post again.

Vicki

11 years and still going!