Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ebrbetty

Craving Bagels

looking for a good brand of bagels..can anyone recommend a brand that's tastes like the real thing?

thanks

~Betty

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I like Kinnikinnick. How close are they to the real thing? Depends on how long it's been since you had a real bagel! My husband walked in the kitchen one day when I was buttering one for myself. He was quite surprised when I took a bit of it because he had never seen a gluten-free bagel! So, apparently, they LOOK real.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

I LOVE Kinnikinnick's cinnamon rasin bagles! They are delicious and I take them with me when I go out. I tried some of their other ones but didn't like them.

Ive had Glutino Cinnamon Raisin and Plain bagels and I think they are the closest to the real deal,

Richard

"Not all who wander are lost" - J.R.R. Tolkien

Diagnosed 3/8/05

Sister also Celiac

Risus remedium optimum est

thanks guys, are both available at whole foods?

I don't know. I'm not lucky enought to have a Whole Foods nearby. I get most of my goodies through a co-op/food buying club. http://www.unitedbuyingclubs.com/

I'm not advertising for them, just throwing it out there. You can look to see if there is a group in your area and order in bulk - they have a catalogue with just about anything your heart may desire. I live in the sticks, so there aren't a lot of options as to where I can find gluten-free products. Luckily there is a group in the area that orders on a monthly basis - no shipping charges! only a small fee to cover the trucking usually $3-$4 per order. The prices are generally less than retail and the product selection is AMAZING!

Most of the groups are run by folks like you and me with food issues, not people looking to make a buck.

Anyway, they probably have the bagels at Whole Foods

Richard

"Not all who wander are lost" - J.R.R. Tolkien

Diagnosed 3/8/05

Sister also Celiac

Risus remedium optimum est

looking for a good brand of bagels..can anyone recommend a brand that's tastes like the real thing?

thanks

I recently bought Glutino plain bagels at Whole Foods and found them absolutely amazing. I was diagnosed less than two months ago, so I certainly remember what real bagels taste like. These actually look like real bagels. I liked them so much that I ate them plain without putting anything on them.

Whole Foods does not carry Kinnikinnick products, unfortunately, neither does Trader Joe's.

I have an Omni Foods that carries many of their products (and they're all great!)

You can search to see if a store near you has it on their website:

http://www.kinnikinnick.com/

Positive Bloodwork & Positive Endoscopy, Gluten Free since 8/29/06

Glutino bagles are the best tasting ones and taste the closest to real bagels. I love the poppy seed ones!! I'm a very picky eater, and love my bagels, and these are the best. Here's the link if you want to oreder them online or your local health food store may carry them, or you could ask them to carry them. www.glutino.com

I have a small health food store about an hour away that stocks Glutino bagels but sometimes I have such a hard time finding them because their all sold out!!! The flavors are Plain, Poppy Seed, Cinnamon Raisin and Sesame seed. Here's the link to the exact page of the bagels on the company's website: http://www.glutino.com/english/interieur/i...myMenu=products

Whole Foods does carry Kinnikinnick, it just depends on where you are and who the manager of your particular store is. I know they carry less than they used to because of the whole foods bakery line. TJ's does not carry kinnikinnick products. Some Wild Oats do.

I like the Kinnikinnick bagels. When toasted, they are crunchy on the outside and fluffy in the middle. I just put butter on them. Yum.

Elonwy

Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05

Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05

gluten-free since 7/23/05

Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

Kinnikinnick, I've only eaten the New York Style because those are good enough lol They are amazing, good to make a meal out of (like sliced tomatoes and mayo in between the bagels, yummmm :P )...now I have a craving to order more! haha

~lisa~

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...

...26 years old...

...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

i just got back from whole foods, no gluten-free bagels at all :( I hate to order food online, isn't the shipping insane??

~Betty