Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Matilda

Pretend I'm A Newbie!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Matilda, and welcome to this board (well, you said to pretend you're a newbie :P )..........sorry, couldn't resist.

Your plan sounds like a good one. Also, have you ever thought of doing an elimination diet? I know, it's hard to even THINK of cutting out more foods. But still, you may have to. Have you followed the links in my signature yet? You may find some clues there.

Also, especially rice (besides eggs and soy) will cause just about the same symptoms as gluten with me. Stomach ache, nausea, fatigue and diarrhea are some of them.

I hope you figure it out, it can be so frustrating!

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you kept a food diary? That might help to pin point a particular food. Have you gone through everything to make sure it is gluten-free? Glad to hear that the kitties are :) Another thing you might want to think about is having your thyroid checked. I know that can really mess things up. Just a thought.

Hez

I would suggest you check all of your personal care products to make sure they're all gluten-free. I've run into some problems with hair and makeup products that don't have any questionable ingredients listed, but they cause me to get glutened anyway. I think it's just a problem of cosmetics and shampoos and things like that not having the same rules that they have to follow as food.

Nancy

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

~Chinese Proverb

Thank you Nancy,

First thought: Good grief Nancy, do you think I'm completely uneducated!!! :(

Second thought: Actually there are 3 things I put on my face every day that I've never checked up on. I can't believe I've let this slip by! How many times have I read this advice?

Good suggestion! :)

Thanks,

Matilda

Anyone else? Remember I'm a newby. I know nothing. At least, I seem to have got very complacent!

Thanks.

Sometimes newbies need to have their hands held for a little bit..

Now, dear, you know that white flour has wheat in it right..? :lol:

Hey! No throwing stuff!

:P

Nancy

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

~Chinese Proverb

Sometimes newbies need to have their hands held for a little bit..

Now, dear, you know that white flour has wheat in it right..? :lol:

Hey! No throwing stuff!

:P

Nancy

:lol::lol::lol:

How about getting rid of the rest of the casein for six months and see if you feel better. Goat's milk.....I absolutely don't like it. Allergic too. :P

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

How about getting rid of the rest of the casein for six months and see if you feel better. Goat's milk.....I absolutely don't like it. Allergic too. :P

This was my thought, too. How serious have you been about casein? I find that anything with even a trace of cross contamination with cows milk will give me symptoms just as bad as gluten. It's even more of a pain than eliminating gluten but really if it's what you need to do then you should do it.

Ok a really obvious question but the yoghurt is also made with goats milk right??? You definitively shouldn't be having cows milk yoghurt. :o Yoghurt might have less lactose than plain milk, but it still has casein.

As it happens I can have some goats cheese without trouble but some people are also sensitive to the casein in all goats milk products. So the kefir and yoghurt might be a problem and you should probably see what happens if you leave them out for a while.

Hope this helps... :)

Pauliina

Ok then same advice I give ALL noobies... :ph34r:

Drop everything with allergens for 3 months and I mean milk, soy specifically but you can remove anything YOU suspect... and then start adding stuff gradually and one at once like goats cheese....

Take NO CC risks and NO hidden gluten/soy/casein/lactose risks...

Just go totally natural for 3 months.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

Matilda,

I'm actually in a very similar place to you right now! (Unfortunately for both of us!)

I have gone through a similar process....I'll PM you later this morning.

Good luck, dear!

Laura

Hi, Matilda,

My good friend has been feeling generally lousy now for the last three or four years, and last year when I was diagnosed with celiac, I passed my education-by-the-seat-of-my-pants along to her. She went gluten-free along with me, and while feeling somewhat better, is still exhausted/joint pain/headaches etc. Tests have been inconclusive. So, she went on the caveman (paleolithic? just plain old-fashioned?) diet (much like what gfp has described) in the summer and is now feeling some REAL improvement. Sometimes I will see her in tears, as she can't believe how long she's gone feeling so unlike this--i.e., normal. She will have to eventually try to figure out what in the processed foods is toxic for her, and as we all know that is a big list of possibilities. But for now, she's eating like we did thousands of years ago. Not easy, but I think well worth a try! Hope you're better soon.

Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973

diagnosed celiac winter 2005

diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! 253.gif

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.

--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

Not easy, but I think well worth a try! Hope you're better soon.

Easy is relative......

Looking back I think its much harder to eliminate foods one by one which is what I did for 6 months ....than eliminate everything then slowly add them and on top of that I think mostly we all tend towards doing the gradual elimination BUT its way more confusing ...was it the soy or was it the milk???? and the whole delay thing with intolerances just makes this harder and even more confusing... was it the soy last week or the milk yesterday???

In the end I'm eating soy and milk... my casein intolerance is much more controllable than gluten and manageable so I eat limited dairy ... try and go goat over cow etc. but its not like being gluten-free all or nothing for me....

Soy, I never had a prob BUT my mom does/did....

I call it common sense not to eat something that might push you to an intolerance so I eat soy sparingly...

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

Hi Matilda,

I tend to eat a lot of whole foods, so I rarely have to deal with this, but there is some additive in some sauces that turns everything in my body to water. If you were feeling okay until you started adding processed foods, maybe it's a chemical sensitivity. Go back to eating what you ate when you felt good.

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

I'm happy to say that I've found out what my problem is and am starting to feel much better! For me it was adrenal fatigue (you can google to see if it fits). With being sick and under constant inflammation for so long, our bodies get tired. It's all dietary, lifestyle, and supplement changes, so if the symptoms fit, give them a try. Actually, the advice given for adrenal fatigue is good for literally everone!

I also had a hair analysis done. It was interesting because it shows how your body is actually using the vitamins, minerals, etc. It was infomative and even reflected that I am having an autoimmune reaction, am prone to having low thyroid, adrenal fatigue, hypoglycemia, anemia, anxiety, and fatigue -- all stuff I already knew. The lab my doc used is Analytical Reseach Labs., Inc. The said when I talked to them that they have a website. Their phone number is (602)995-1580. All the reports were very comprehensive and give very clear recommendations, so you could easily go directly to the lab yourself.

Food diary and eliminating processed food -- both sound like good ideas.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06