This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Dog Food? ;o)

Yenni

Yenni Enthusiast

I am not sure where to post this and I am sure it is a weird question.

My dog eats gluten foods and she licks herself clean and stuff. I am sure she has gluten on her fure. I am wondering if I can get glutened from being close to her kinda. I am wondering if anyone has heard of a gluten free dog food?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Not only have I heard of it, but, it cured my older dog's chronic, terrible diarrhea and gas, so I think she's Celiac (animals get it too!). It's called Bil Jac, and it's not cheap.....but very healthy. Both of my girls are on it, and we have nice, solid stools every day! :)

Yenni Enthusiast

Wow! Thanks! I'll look for it! :D

Ursa Major Collaborator

Jenny, that is a VERY good, reasonable question and not at all weird.

Yes, you can definitely get glutened from your dogs. Feeding your dogs gluten-free will make avoiding cross contamination a lot easier for you, and will be much healthier for the dog. Dogs have a terrible time with gluten! You'll likely add years to your dogs life by feeding her gluten-free food.

Nantzie Collaborator

I keep meaning to pick up the Bil-Jac, but haven't done it yet. At our house, the dog food is pretty much the only thing that's gluten anymore.

Nancy

Yenni Enthusiast

I found a place in town that carries this tuff when I looked online. We are gonna pick some up this weekend. :D

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Good! Your dog will LOVE it. It is my dogs' favorite all-time food, they gobble it up instantly. My vet recommended it for Tika's chronically bad stomach (she's a lymphoma survivor, went through chemotherapy so we thought her cancer had internalized due to constant stomach issues), so we switched about four months ago. I didn't read the ingredients, just started them on it, and one day, lighbulb moment, I realized I wasn't picking up liquid stools any more...so I checked the ingredients - not a trace of gluten! :) Worth every penny.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

spunky Contributor

I just bought some totally grain free dog food last night. The brand I bought is Innova, and it costs around 2.00 per pound. Very expensive! But I dont' want to see them get health problems, and I don't like inhaling the dust from the bags of food. Most dog and cat foods are loaded with gluten. Knowing what gluten does to me, that just makes me cringe all around.

DingoGirl Enthusiast

I forgot about Innova! That is a very good dog food also and yes, that avoids the "gluten dust" issue for you! Your pets will be healthier and so will you. :)

WGibs Apprentice

Another gluten-free option is Canidae. My boys love it (but they love any food) and it also helped one of them with chronic tummy problems. I think he's also gluten-intolerant!

For treats, I use the ones that are like jerky (all meat) and there are also a few biscuit-type options. I think one is from a brand called Evo (?), but it says grain-free on the package. The other is a potato/duck flavored biscuit from Natural Balance, I think.

jmengert Enthusiast

My doggie is also (mostly) gluten free, and he eats Nutro's Lamb and Rice formula. He seems to really like it, but then, he's not very picky! :)

jcc Rookie

Nutro Lamb and Rice variety and the Dental Care variety are gluten free, but read the label carefully. Some varities of Nutro are not gluten free, but you will see wheat flour on the ingredient list of those. The lamb and rice based treats are also gluten free.

Open Original Shared Link

While we are on the subjects of dogs, does anyone have anything good to say about Wheaten Terriers? We just lost our dearly loved Golden Retriever a few months ago, and are thinking of bringing home a Wheaten Terrier at the end of November. I'm looking for reassuring good things about the breed, but I suppose I should hear any bad reports, too, before I sign the dotted line. Hope I'm not going to far off topic!

Cara

oops... I see Julie and I were posting at the same time... and is that a dear Golden I'm looking at? I miss my Ginger :(.

jmengert Enthusiast

Hi, Cara--I'm very sorry for the loss of your dog.

I actually got my avatar from this site, but I think it is a golden. They are the sweetest dogs.

I don't know anything about wheatens, but hopefully someone will.

And I second the warning on Nutro--most of their stuff is not gluten-free, but the lamb and rice is, so just make sure to always read carefully.

AmandaD Community Regular

I own Gordon Setters and an old lab/german shepherd mix.

I feed my puppies a mix of Canidae dry food with Merrick puppy plate canned food. I use Ennova treats and Salmon "Bear" treats.

I got glutened myself (first time in 6 months) from a treat I was using called natural balance - it got all over my hands and I got sick the next day. It was crazy...

chewymom Rookie

For more info on pets and a gluten-free diet, check out Open Original Shared Link!

Turtle Enthusiast
For more info on pets and a gluten-free diet, check out Open Original Shared Link!

Ahhh you beat me to it. I was just about to post the same link!

Is that Clemson in your avatar???

LaurieAnn13 Newbie

Getting a little bit off the subject, does anyone know about good cat foods that are gluten-free? I guess I'll check out that web site too and see if he has any on there....

Laurie

jerseyangel Proficient
Getting a little bit off the subject, does anyone know about good cat foods that are gluten-free? I guess I'll check out that web site too and see if he has any on there....

Laurie

I don't know if all of their cat foods are gluten-free, but I just put my cat on Science Diet Senior.

oceangirl Collaborator
I don't know if all of their cat foods are gluten-free, but I just put my cat on Science Diet Senior.

Thank you for all this info about gluten-free petfood everyone! I have 2 large dogs (golden/yellow lab mix and german shephard/collie mix- I'm a fan of shelter dogs) and 5, yes, count 'em, five, cats. I have such suspicion I'm getting a bit glutened by all their food so this info is useful. I just hope I can find some food I can afford. And, having buried many, many beloved pets in my lifetime, my heart goes out to whoever loses one- it never gets easier. Thanks so much for the food tips, though.

lisa

jcc Rookie

Here is the link that takes you directly to the Dog Food page~

At the very bottom are some links to a cat site, too.

Cara

chewymom Rookie
Ahhh you beat me to it. I was just about to post the same link!

Is that Clemson in your avatar???

Yep--it's Clemson! My in-laws live there and got the whole family--25 of us--together for a big family pic, and then we did individual families. Pretty campus!!

Yenni Enthusiast

My dog is getting Wellness dog food right now. Has lots of oats but it is supposed to be a good brand. It is spendy too so switching her over to another gluten free brand that is spendy will just be a good thing.

I am very close to my dog, she gets a lots of hugs and kisses..so I thought I should get a gluten free brand. I have been a bit reluctant to be around her food and stuff. I am sure you guys know what I mean,

I am very happy to hear there are gluten free dog food. :D

One less thing to worry about you know.

ArtGirl Enthusiast

I feed my dogs the Nutro lamb & rice. Both the canned and the dry.

However, I also add boiled ground beef to their food. My Chihuahua who can easily get gastritis loves this food and isn't getting tummy aches now. he was on a prescription diet for years but really didn't like it and would gag sometimes, so I'm glad he tolerates the Nutro mixture.

In case you're curious, I mix 1 can of food with 2 cups dry (let this sit in refrig overnight for the dry to absorb some moisture) and mix three cups hamburger + broth into this. Makes about 6 cups of food, which for my small dogs, lasts a week so it's not too much work for me. (I freeze three of the portions so that they don't sit in the frige for so long and possibly get spoiled).

The hamburger is actually cheaper than the commercial food - but does cost "time" - so, what doesn't on the gluten-free way of life!

Turtle Enthusiast
Yep--it's Clemson! My in-laws live there and got the whole family--25 of us--together for a big family pic, and then we did individual families. Pretty campus!!

That's cool. I currently live in Columbia but i'm a Dawg fan so i'm the minority any way you look at it around here! HAHA!

My Uncle was big into Clemson...I used to visit them in Seneca from time to time...and I also have friends in Walhalla!

Have a great night!

Yenni Enthusiast

They ended up being out of the Bil-Jac brand but we found another that actually said Gluten Free on the bag.

Barking at the Moon is the name of the food. In a sparkly bag (there were others that didn't have gluten free on them). This one:

My dog absolutely loved it. She went for it right away and seemed to like it much better than her Wellness.

It is also soy and corn free.

Archived