This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Dog Food? ;o)

Yenni

chewymom Rookie

Where did you find that Barking at the Moon dogfood??? My dog is allergic to soy, and this way cheaper than the prescription Science Diet stuff we feed him now! I could order online, but shipping is high...wonder if I can find that locally!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Yenni Enthusiast
Where did you find that Barking at the Moon dogfood??? My dog is allergic to soy, and this way cheaper than the prescription Science Diet stuff we feed him now! I could order online, but shipping is high...wonder if I can find that locally!

I found it a local pet store here in Anchorage, Alaska. It's called Animal Food Warehouse.

They have a big variety of good dog foods. Maybe there is a place like it in your town.

• 2 months later...
Yenni Enthusiast
For more info on pets and a gluten-free diet, check out Open Original Shared Link!

That is a really good page!

Our dog have been eating the Solid Gold Barking At The Moon for a about 2 months now. She got really bad with gas on it and vomited some times. We went to the Vet, he told us to give her probiotics pills. She got better for a bit but now she is bad again. Our Vet said dog foods high in protein are often hard for dogs to digest (and our dog have a sensetive stomach). So now we are looking for another dog food instead. Hard to find one that is both soy and gluten free so far.

There is one that sounds really good; Life's Abundance. Free from corn, gluten, soy and casein. But we cant find it in town here. Too spendy to get it shipped every month. But I thought I'd mention it for others.

Also Canidae has a free from "corn, gluten, wheat, soy, grain fractions, fillers or by products". Also a cat food. But this brand was mentioned in this thread from before.

There is a kennel that is selling this one in town. We hope to be able to buy from them. The price is pretty good too. :)

JenKuz Explorer

I feed my pup Solid Gold Hund-n-flocken--I never noticed before that it has pearl barley in it. I'll have to try him on something else...which is too bad, because he loves this kind. And his fur and skin are gorgeous on it. It looks like the Holistique may be gluten-free, depending on your opinion on oatmeal...and of course the Barking at the Moon.

It looks like they have tinned options for both dogs and cats that contain no gluteny ingredients....

Guhlia Rising Star

Does anyone know if IAMS dog foods are gluten free? I get the minichunks for my dog and they appear gluten free on the label. I'd like to know for sure. Anyone know offhand before I call the company?

Yenni Enthusiast
I feed my pup Solid Gold Hund-n-flocken--I never noticed before that it has pearl barley in it. I'll have to try him on something else...which is too bad, because he loves this kind. And his fur and skin are gorgeous on it. It looks like the Holistique may be gluten-free, depending on your opinion on oatmeal...and of course the Barking at the Moon.

It looks like they have tinned options for both dogs and cats that contain no gluteny ingredients....

Watch out for soy (can hide under "Lecithin" ,but Lecithin can also come from Egg and sunflower oil) in dog foods (I see you are intolerant to soy like me). Seems to be really common in even the "hypoallergenic" ones. I have had a hard time finding a soy free on.

We did end up getting the Canidae here today, but it has Alfalfa stuff in it. I am not sure if I do well on anything in the Legume group. I'll have to see.

If the Oatmeal is bought in the US I have heard it is always comming from a factory that also has wheat, so there is the cross contamination issue there. I wanted to stay away from Oats because of that.

Does anyone know if IAMS dog foods are gluten free? I get the minichunks for my dog and they appear gluten free on the label. I'd like to know for sure. Anyone know offhand before I call the company?

Seems most IAMS/Eukanuba dog foods have barley in them at least. I am not fond of the brand when I have heard that they do animal testing.. (Open Original Shared Link). I just choose to stay away from the brand from what I read.

The Chunks one looks gluten free to me though...if I am not missing anything. I dunno what "natural chicken flavor" really means.. I would call them to make sure.

Ingredients

Chicken, Corn Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Chicken By-Product Meal, Chicken Fat (Preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp (Sugar Removed), Natural Chicken Flavor, Fish Meal, Potassium Chloride, Dried Egg Product, Brewers Dried Yeast, Salt, Flax Meal, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Fish Oil (Preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Choline Chloride, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Source of Vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (Source of Vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), DL-Methionine, Rosemary Extract

It has a lot of "fillers" (in this case Corn) in it. I am personally not fond of that.

Pink-Bunny Apprentice

okay this may be a dumb question but I was looking at the Bil-Jac at petsmart and it says an ingredient was oatmeal. I thought with gluten-free that we should stay away from oats...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Yenni Enthusiast
okay this may be a dumb question but I was looking at the Bil-Jac at petsmart and it says an ingredient was oatmeal. I thought with gluten-free that we should stay away from oats...

I have been thinking about that too. So far I have decided to stay away from Oats when it sounds like , at least in the US, that almost all places that harvest Oats also harvest Wheat. So I am thinking better safe than sorry.

The Bil-Jac Select has no Oats though.

Fresh Chicken By-Products (Organ Meat Only), Fresh Chicken, Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Fresh Chicken Liver, Brewers Dried Yeast, Cane Molasses, Eggs, Salt, Sodium Propionate (a preservative), DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin, Biotin, Choline Chloride, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Menaione, sodium Bisulfate Complex, (source of Vitamin K), D-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganous Oxide, Inositol, BHA (a preservative), Iron Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Cobalt Carbonate, Potassium Iodine, Sodium Selenite.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I feed by dog a grain free raw diet, with a few kibble chunks in it. The Kibble chunks are also grain free -- they are INNOVA. The raw food is Prairie. He does really well on this diet - no more stinky farting, clear eyes, nice coat, and great health overall.

Once, we ran out of raw food and had to feed him just kibble again for two days. His farting was intense...and that's when i realized that he had been odor free since we'd gone raw.

• 4 weeks later...
cdford Contributor

Here is the response I recieved from IAMs when I querried them about gluten status of their foods. Hope it helps.

To: "'cdford@integrity.com'" <cdford@integrity.com>

Subject: A message from Danette @ Iams 1-1886900757

Dear Donna:

Thank you for taking the time to write. I would be delighted to address your

inquiry.

We recommend feeding the Iams Chunks or MiniChunks for adult dogs or the

Iams Smart Puppy Formula for a puppy. These diets do not contain any type

of gluten.

For additional information, please copy-and-paste the following URL to your

web browser:

Iams Dog Foods

Open Original Shared Link

Please contact us anytime through our E-mail Us Now page located on our web

site at www.IAMS.com. Or, look for instant answers on our web site FAQ. We

would also welcome your call Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 7:00

p.m. Eastern Time at 800-675-3849.

Thanks for choosing to feed Iams!

Sincerely,

Danette

Iams Pet Care Team Member

P.S. Are you and your family thinking of adopting a pet this holiday season?

Iams wants to help you meet your match. Iams and Helen Woodward Animal

Center are proud to join forces with more than 2,400 shelters and rescues

from around the world for Iams Home 4 the Holidays, the world's largest pet

adoption campaign. From November 6 through January 2, 2007, Iams Home 4 the

Holidays will be raising awareness for pet adoption with a goal of finding

homes for more than 350,000 orphaned pets in just eight weeks! To locate a

participating pet adoption center, visit www.IamsFriendsForLife.com, or

www.Home4TheHolidays.com.

The information in this email should not be substituted for advice from your

veterinarian.

Archived