Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lindalee

Back Ache?

Woke up this morning with a lower back ache and was wondering if this could be celiac related. I have been in the car alot more this week, so it could just be that. Gotta be in the car alot today also. Just had a birthday so maybe it is just old age :(

Lee

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Woke up this morning with a lower back ache and was wondering if this could be celiac related. I have been in the car alot more this week, so it could just be that. Gotta be in the car alot today also. Just had a birthday so maybe it is just old age :(

If you have been recently glutened maybe, but if your not used to being in the car a lot that could do it also. If you have to be riding a lot try to make frequent stops to get out of the car and stretch out a bit. If it continues or you notice other problems that are starting up with it you may want to get it checked out by your doctor. A mild gluten-free antinflammatory like asprin or something else that you commonly take or a bit of heat may help a bit. I hope the back ache is gone soon.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

I always feel it in my mid-lower back when I get glutened. I don't know if it a direct result of the gluten itself, or if it is a side effect from being uncomfortable, bloated, carrying around the pot belly, etc and thereby stressing the area. With that said it's just as likely you've had too much of the car. :)

Richard

"Not all who wander are lost" - J.R.R. Tolkien

Diagnosed 3/8/05

Sister also Celiac

Risus remedium optimum est

Hi lindalee,

So sorry to hear that you're having a lower backache :( In the past I have had a lot of trouble with my lower back and it's no fun. Riding in the car was the worst irritant. I used to put a small pillow behind my back just above my butt for some lumbar support and that seemed to help.

Before going gluten-free when I would go to a family reunion or a picnic with tons of gluten filled food I would wake up the next day and barely be able to get out of bed because my lower back and knees hurt so much! I haven't had that problem since going gluten-free :rolleyes:

Have you tried either ice or moist heat? Hope you feel better soon.

Jackie

hypothyroid 1991

back surgery for herniated disk 1997

gallbladder removed 2004

knee & back pain, depression and headaches for too many years to count

Negative labwork for IGG & IGA 8/3/06

Decided not to have anymore tests. Started gluten-free on 8/7/06.

Ravenwood I tried the heat pad and it did help. Usually don't stay in the car this much (sitting) I'll get out and move around more next time.

triticus toxicum and wacky jackey - I could have gotten glutened yesterday- ate out.

Thanks, I also got a massage and that really helped. Maybe it was the combination ;)

Lee

If the low back pain continues for a while then it's probably not from being glutened since I would hope thats not happening everyday. If it's midlow back it could be something with your kidneys, if its low low back like just above your butt....you may just need to stretch...if your calves are tight it causes your hamstrings to be tight which then pulls down on your lower back causing pain. After sitting for a long time it could be that your just really tight. Trying stretching.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Britni

~Diagnosed with idiopathic autoimmune chronic hepatitus at age 7 (1992)

off medication and in remission since 2002

~Diagnosed with ulcerative colitus age 10 (1995)

on medication under control

~Diagnosed with Celiac's disease age 21, no symptoms (August 10, 2006)

been gluten free since September 6, 2006

Gluten will definitely give me a terrible backache (as will other lectins as well). My back was terrible and getting worse before I went gluten-free. The day after starting the gluten-free diet, my backaches were almost gone! Just two days before that, I could hardly move, I was in agony. One sign I've been glutened is always a backache.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alfred, quit spamming ... get out of here!!

Lee

A deep lower backache comes with a glutening for me. The car may exacerbate it as others have said, but I suspect the dinner out contributed. I always encourage stretching to help, but for me, I just have to ride it out. Hope relief has come for you.

lisa

Thank you Ursula and Oceangirl :)

Until now I never knew backache was a symptom of gluten. I guess I just missed those posts.

Have eaten out more than normal this past month and have had potatoes a few times-(have been on the no nightshade plan).

Am wondering also if this has something to do with the absorption of calcium. I take Kirkland Calcium Citrate with vit D, Magnesium and Zinc as well as extra Magnesium. Calcium is 500 mg. I think I need to take it 2 or 3 times a day with food and try to eat more calcium rich foods. Not sure if this plays a part in the knots in my muscles.

Lee

If the low back pain continues for a while then it's probably not from being glutened since I would hope thats not happening everyday. If it's midlow back it could be something with your kidneys, if its low low back like just above your butt....you may just need to stretch...if your calves are tight it causes your hamstrings to be tight which then pulls down on your lower back causing pain. After sitting for a long time it could be that your just really tight. Trying stretching.

mine is low back, my calves are tight and rear ankle area seems to be inflammed? also have knots on back ankle area (calcification)? I thought those were from wearing pumps all the time for years. (Don't wear them anymore).

Lee

There are a lot of reasons you could have lower back pain. One study a while back showed that it was a common symptom of caffeine withdrawl, too.

Nothing

There are a lot of reasons you could have lower back pain. One study a while back showed that it was a common symptom of caffeine withdrawl, too.

eKatherine-- I've been drinking coffee so don't think that is it <_<

Lee