This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Back Ache?

lindalee

lindalee Enthusiast

Woke up this morning with a lower back ache and was wondering if this could be celiac related. I have been in the car alot more this week, so it could just be that. Gotta be in the car alot today also. Just had a birthday so maybe it is just old age :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Woke up this morning with a lower back ache and was wondering if this could be celiac related. I have been in the car alot more this week, so it could just be that. Gotta be in the car alot today also. Just had a birthday so maybe it is just old age :(

If you have been recently glutened maybe, but if your not used to being in the car a lot that could do it also. If you have to be riding a lot try to make frequent stops to get out of the car and stretch out a bit. If it continues or you notice other problems that are starting up with it you may want to get it checked out by your doctor. A mild gluten-free antinflammatory like asprin or something else that you commonly take or a bit of heat may help a bit. I hope the back ache is gone soon.

TriticusToxicum Explorer

I always feel it in my mid-lower back when I get glutened. I don't know if it a direct result of the gluten itself, or if it is a side effect from being uncomfortable, bloated, carrying around the pot belly, etc and thereby stressing the area. With that said it's just as likely you've had too much of the car. :)

wacky~jackie Rookie

Hi lindalee,

So sorry to hear that you're having a lower backache :( In the past I have had a lot of trouble with my lower back and it's no fun. Riding in the car was the worst irritant. I used to put a small pillow behind my back just above my butt for some lumbar support and that seemed to help.

Before going gluten-free when I would go to a family reunion or a picnic with tons of gluten filled food I would wake up the next day and barely be able to get out of bed because my lower back and knees hurt so much! I haven't had that problem since going gluten-free :rolleyes:

Have you tried either ice or moist heat? Hope you feel better soon.

lindalee Enthusiast

Ravenwood I tried the heat pad and it did help. Usually don't stay in the car this much (sitting) I'll get out and move around more next time.

triticus toxicum and wacky jackey - I could have gotten glutened yesterday- ate out.

Thanks, I also got a massage and that really helped. Maybe it was the combination ;)

bmzob Apprentice

If the low back pain continues for a while then it's probably not from being glutened since I would hope thats not happening everyday. If it's midlow back it could be something with your kidneys, if its low low back like just above your butt....you may just need to stretch...if your calves are tight it causes your hamstrings to be tight which then pulls down on your lower back causing pain. After sitting for a long time it could be that your just really tight. Trying stretching.

Ursa Major Collaborator

Gluten will definitely give me a terrible backache (as will other lectins as well). My back was terrible and getting worse before I went gluten-free. The day after starting the gluten-free diet, my backaches were almost gone! Just two days before that, I could hardly move, I was in agony. One sign I've been glutened is always a backache.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

Alfred, quit spamming ... get out of here!!

oceangirl Collaborator
Alfred, quit spamming ... get out of here!!

Lee

A deep lower backache comes with a glutening for me. The car may exacerbate it as others have said, but I suspect the dinner out contributed. I always encourage stretching to help, but for me, I just have to ride it out. Hope relief has come for you.

lisa

lindalee Enthusiast

Thank you Ursula and Oceangirl :)

Until now I never knew backache was a symptom of gluten. I guess I just missed those posts.

Have eaten out more than normal this past month and have had potatoes a few times-(have been on the no nightshade plan).

Am wondering also if this has something to do with the absorption of calcium. I take Kirkland Calcium Citrate with vit D, Magnesium and Zinc as well as extra Magnesium. Calcium is 500 mg. I think I need to take it 2 or 3 times a day with food and try to eat more calcium rich foods. Not sure if this plays a part in the knots in my muscles.

lindalee Enthusiast
If the low back pain continues for a while then it's probably not from being glutened since I would hope thats not happening everyday. If it's midlow back it could be something with your kidneys, if its low low back like just above your butt....you may just need to stretch...if your calves are tight it causes your hamstrings to be tight which then pulls down on your lower back causing pain. After sitting for a long time it could be that your just really tight. Trying stretching.

mine is low back, my calves are tight and rear ankle area seems to be inflammed? also have knots on back ankle area (calcification)? I thought those were from wearing pumps all the time for years. (Don't wear them anymore).

eKatherine Rookie

There are a lot of reasons you could have lower back pain. One study a while back showed that it was a common symptom of caffeine withdrawl, too.

lindalee Enthusiast
There are a lot of reasons you could have lower back pain. One study a while back showed that it was a common symptom of caffeine withdrawl, too.

eKatherine-- I've been drinking coffee so don't think that is it <_<

Archived