Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canadian Karen

Boy, What A Relief!

I have been on disability through my work since October 2004. After a certain amount of time, they require you to apply through the Federal Government for Disability Benefits and if you are approved, the insurance company through work will still top up to what you were previously getting.

I sent in the papers about 3 - 4 months ago, and got a call this morning from them that my claim has been approved. Thank goodness. At least the worry has been removed that the insurance company through work will decide to "discontinue" at any time......

What a huge relief this is........

Hugs.

Karen

Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy

Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism

endometriosis (at age 20)

spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."

Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.

-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."

Unknown

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

thats great Karen. I know with my disability I was relieved when I finally got it. The months of waiting can add so much stress. congrats

Stephanie

Gluten free since October 05

son born severly premature due to

celiac

"True love stories never end" Richard Bach

"Did you ever stop thinking and forget to start again?" AA Milne

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you" AA Milne

Swimming Instructor #2 and Town Crier of Rachelville

That's great-one less thing to worry about now!!!

:)

It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

black_cat.gif

So glad to hear it karen...

~~~~~~~

Jen

Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005

dairy-free

Wow, Karen, isn't Alfred's news great?! We're all healed, we just need to go have a party in Austrialia! Do you think he's a travel agent, too? Hope so, how else would we know where to stay? <_<:lol:

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

That's great news Karen, I'm glad that stress is gone. :)

A family with Celiac disease, two brothers and two sisters.

Lyme Disease, Diagnosis October 19, 2006

May 2006 - December 2008 Gluten and Dairy Free

December 2008, while seeing improvement on the gluten free diet, I did not recover and so in December of 2008 began the SCD and now have hope for recovery.

Woo-hoo! You brought a smile to my face. I love hearing good news. Thanks, I really needed to smile today.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

HI Karen

I'm so happy for you. Seems your finally getting a 'BREAK'

It's about time, honey.

I paid thousands in 'short term' disability insurance at work for 15 years..and of course when the lay-offs came and my surgery was coming up...i got the dreaded pink slip. All that $$ and they kept every penny. I was an easy one to 'pick off' My drs. actually pleaded with me (even before my celiac dx) to apply for SSD disabillity for my other medical issues. I applied and seems they didn't want to fight a 5" folder of documentation....so.....it's so wonderful to hear that someone as deserving as you won.

I did try for a year to do temp work (with in the guide lines of how much you could earn a month) but finally had to give that up too. I don't get that much as my $$ went into teacher retirement instead of SS but...every little bit helps...

hope you did something to celebrate.

judy in philly

Judy in Southern CA

Happy for you Karen! :D

Nostaglia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days!!!!

" 15 years of it's stress!"

"blood work show's a disease called celiac,

but it can't be that because it's rare!"

Diagnosed via blood and biopsy 2003

Not a medical professional just a silly celiac

offering support, my

experience and advice

Wonderful, Karen! Thanks for sharing the good news!

The Queen of Hearts,

She made some tarts

All on a summer's day.

The Knave of Hearts,

He stole the tarts

And took them clean away.

Diagnosed at age 49 by biopsy 31 May 2006

Learning how to bake those tarts gluten-free!

I have been on disability through my work since October 2004. After a certain amount of time, they require you to apply through the Federal Government for Disability Benefits and if you are approved, the insurance company through work will still top up to what you were previously getting.

I sent in the papers about 3 - 4 months ago, and got a call this morning from them that my claim has been approved. Thank goodness. At least the worry has been removed that the insurance company through work will decide to "discontinue" at any time......

What a huge relief this is........

Hugs.

Karen

Glad it was resolved to your benefit. Happy for you that this wait is over now and so is the worry.

D.

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003